Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-27, 01:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Cartridge suggestion for Project 9CC tonearm

Cartridge suggestion for Project 9CC tonearm
2018-03-30, 10:48
Cartridge suggestion for Project 9CC tonearm
I have the LP12 Majik with the project 9CC carbon tonearm, I believe it has 8.5 gms. mass. I have the Adikt which is still very good. Just curious on what would be a good replacement cart. When the time comes. My phonostage is capable of any output.. (VERY LOW-HIGH). I’m liking what I read about AT OC9 III. Your thoughts and suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-30, 15:52
RE: Cartridge suggestion for Project 9CC tonearm
AT95E - £36.

Put the £400 saved towards a Lingo 4.

Source first!

KR

J
2018-03-30, 16:51
(2018-03-30 15:52)JDEC Wrote:  AT95E - £36.

Put the £400 saved towards a Lingo 4.

Source first!

KR

J

Thanks for the suggestion.. I’ve read good things about AT95E. I have the Radikal PS....well it’s on it’s way..
2018-03-30, 17:05
The Radical deserves a much more sophisticated cartridge. The moving coil AT would be a good choice as would the Linn Krystal.

This "source first" principle can be taken way too far. Too many people have LP 12s and good electronics with speakers in the $350 - $750 range and some of these speakers are decades old.

Best,

John Hirsch
2018-03-30, 17:18
I suspect that your turntable with a Kore and Adikt would sound better than it would with the Majik sub-chassis and a Krystal.

LP 12 (S/N 14xxx), Black ash plinth, Cirkus, Radikal, Kore, Ittok LVIII Mark 2, Krystal, Audiotech stand, Urika II, 530 system, Quad FM4
2018-03-30, 17:29
I’d be looking at a Kore subchassis although a decent used Akito could be a great step in the right direction if you intend saving for a Keel

The Source is in 'da groove !!
2018-03-30, 17:56
Better arm before better cartridge, IMHO.
2018-03-30, 19:31 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-30 20:10 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2018-03-30 17:05)John Hirsch Wrote:  The Radical deserves a much more sophisticated cartridge. The moving coil AT would be a good choice as would the Linn Krystal.

This "source first" principle can be taken way too far. Too many people have LP 12s and good electronics with speakers in the $350 - $750 range and some of these speakers are decades old.

Best,

John Hirsch

+1^ ~ the system can become totally unbalanced & let down by it's weakest link. No good having a close to perfect front end if the system can't resolve what it is receiving as an input! It's all a question of balance!

The reason some extremely affordable (but balanced) systems can sound so musical when compared with a very expensive, unbalanced system assembled by a tin ear!
2018-03-30, 20:48 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-30 20:56 by Glyn Ruck.)
BTW ~ I have a friend with a Hana SL mounted on a 9cc/Majik in a decent little system & it sounds very good indeed! Worth considering.
2018-03-31, 10:15
So let's get this straight.

The OP said he had a Majik LP12 with project arm.

Majik = basic power supply.

However, with a Radikal I'd still put £400 towards something ahead of the cartridge whether that be sub-chassis (Kore or Keel), or arm - Akito.

I have to say that I am a firm believer in source first (not "source only"), and a decent Linn dealer will be able to demonstrate this.

For the record my own source is out of kilter. But only because most of its components are made up of pre-loved which I bought when they were available. No-one in their right mind would otherwise justify buying a Urika ahead of a Keel!

It doesn't sound bad, but I'm sure I'm not getting the best out the Ekos SE yet!

KR

J