Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-17, 00:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn Ekos SE Antiskating

Linn Ekos SE Antiskating
2018-03-30, 20:59 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-30 21:01 by totustuus.)
Exclamation Linn Ekos SE Antiskating
Since one week I'm a lucky owner of a new Ekos SE/1 - an upgrade from an Ekos 1.The SE sounds amazing.

But there is something strange with the antiskating of the tonearm:
The displayed antiskating-value is much lower (about 1,2) as the value of the tracking force (1,75g) - I'm using a Krystal.
It´s possible to choose a value below zero, but it´s impossible to disable the antiskating completely.
I also can hear a little noise coming from the spring while moving the tonearm.

Is this correct or a fault?

Sorry for my poor english!

Kind regards
Klaus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-30, 22:09 (This post was last modified: 2018-03-30 22:10 by grimreaper46.)
RE: Linn Ekos SE Antiskating
(2018-03-30 20:59)totustuus Wrote:  Since one week I'm a lucky owner of a new Ekos SE/1 - an upgrade from an Ekos 1.The SE sounds amazing.

But there is something strange with the antiskating of the tonearm:
The displayed antiskating-value is much lower (about 1,2) as the value of the tracking force (1,75g) - I'm using a Krystal.
It´s possible to choose a value below zero, but it´s impossible to disable the antiskating completely.
I also can hear a little noise coming from the spring while moving the tonearm.

Is this correct or a fault?

Sorry for my poor english!

Kind regards
Klaus

Confusing me here Klaus. The downforce for the Krystal is 1.75g, which seems to be what is set. The anti skate should be set at the same (1.75g) to start off and adjusted by ear for the best sound. Why do you want to disable the Anti Skating, it will sound terrible (if it plays at all).

Others with direct experience of the Krystal may offer more specific advice.

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
2018-03-30, 22:32
I use 1.75 downforce and 1.9 antiskate on my Krystal and Ekos SE. I believe the SE has a small preset antiskate added so you can’t actually set it to zero. A search or others may confirm.

Hope this helps.

Stu

LP12 (Kore, Radikal, Ekos se, Krystal, Urika1), Naim CDS3, 252/300 and SBLs.
2018-03-31, 10:18
Thank you for your answers!
I don‘t want to use my tonearm with no antiskating, but so it‘s difficult to balance the arm.
But I‘m not sure, if this difference between antiskating and downforce value is correct.
Maybe there was a change from older to newer SEs.
Again: Is this little noise coming from the spring ok?

Kind regards
Klaus
2018-03-31, 11:17
(2018-03-30 22:32)Stuart Ashen Wrote:  I use 1.75 downforce and 1.9 antiskate on my Krystal and Ekos SE. I believe the SE has a small preset antiskate added so you can’t actually set it to zero. A search or others may confirm.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Corrcect.

There is a little bias applied even at zero. This will tend to cause the arm to swing when you tr to balance it; which can be a challenge, but it's not impossible.

It was introduced to the original Ekos SE following feedback from dealers (Peter@Cymbiosis IIRC).

KR

J
2018-03-31, 11:35
I think there is a small pre load on the bias which is a feature of the design.
David Williamson discussed this on a couple of threads.

Because of the bias pre load it makes it slightly more challenging to horizontally balance the arm and I think it’s this issue that the OP is referring to. I’ve managed it OK but I’m used to it. I’ve also heard of people using the handle of a cup to restrict the arm’s horizontal movement while balancing but I’ve never tried it.

Regarding bias setting most folk say start with same bias as the tracking force then dial in by ear. I agree with this. You can hear a point when the soundstage just snaps into focus. It’s easy to hear. That’s when the bias is right.

I’ve found with my arm and cartridge I use the default tracking force of 1.75 and bias of 2.1.

It’s not unusual to have the bias set more than the tracking force.

Hope that helps

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM
2018-03-31, 12:05
Thank you a lot for your helpful answers!

But it seems strange to me that it´s possible to set the antiskating dial below zero (about 0,3) and otherwise it´s not possible to set it to the highest value (3). It was not possible with my old Ekos 1.
There is also the slight noise when moving the tonearm to the middle of the platter. Did you already notice this?

Kind regards
Klaus
2018-03-31, 12:42
(2018-03-31 12:05)totustuus Wrote:  Thank you a lot for your helpful answers!

There is also the slight noise when moving the tonearm to the middle of the platter.

Kind regards
Klaus

This may be caused by a sticky/damaged arm bearing. I would suggest you get this checked out by your chosen LP12 dealer.
2018-03-31, 13:07
The tonearm is new and the bearings are fine.
This little noise is not audible, if antiskating is set near zero, so I think it comes from the spring.

Kind regards
Klaus
2018-03-31, 13:36
(2018-03-31 13:07)totustuus Wrote:  The tonearm is new and the bearings are fine.
This little noise is not audible, if antiskating is set near zero, so I think it comes from the spring.

Kind regards
Klaus

I only have a lowly Ekos 2, but there is no spring noise, it is dead quiet as I move the arm from the outer grooves toward the center, no matter what setting the anti skate is adjusted to.

If your tonearm is making noises, that is not normal and sounds like a problem whomever sold you the arm should sort out. Sad

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.