Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-26, 16:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Cavitation without a Dentist Appointment

Cavitation without a Dentist Appointment
2018-04-03, 03:37 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-03 03:38 by John Hirsch.)
Cavitation without a Dentist Appointment
Sorry for the double post, but I thought that this video might be interesting.

There's a video featuring the #1 US turntable guru - Michael Fremer. He has assembled a group of hardware parts and has built a "cavitation" record cleaning system. Cavitation uses just pure water which is carbonated. The bubbles somehow clean the record. A system can be cobbled together for about $700. The state of the art machine is over $4000.

One of his options can clean 12 records at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIpIh2Dq24

Perfect for the English eccentric!

Best,

John Hirsch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-03, 11:56 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-03 11:57 by Dave W.)
RE: Cavitation without a Dentist Appointment
(2018-04-03 03:37)John Hirsch Wrote:  Sorry for the double post, but I thought that this video might be interesting.

There's a video featuring the #1 US turntable guru - Michael Fremer. He has assembled a group of hardware parts and has built a "cavitation" record cleaning system. Cavitation uses just pure water which is carbonated. The bubbles somehow clean the record. A system can be cobbled together for about $700. The state of the art machine is over $4000.

One of his options can clean 12 records at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIpIh2Dq24

Perfect for the English eccentric!

Best,

John Hirsch

Hi,

Cavitation works by creating low pressure bubbles in a liquid which create a 'shock wave' as they collapse. By the way it doesn't require carbonated water, the energy from a vibrating tip creates the 'bubbles'.
(Retired dentist; somebody has to do itBig Grin)

KDSM3>QED Ref XLR40>Aktive Akubariks>AQ carbon>Innuous Zen11
LP12/Ekos/Dynavector XX2/Lingo/Cirkus/Kore/Rega Airia
Kitchen-MDSM3/PMC DB1
Bedroom-MDSM1/Monitor audio 50s
2018-04-03, 12:35
I did post a while back about my self made version. It is in fact an Ultrasonic Cleaner. The principle was initially used to clean jewellry and other items that were an awkward shape.

[Image: Drying.jpg]

Picture of mine during feasibility work. A bit Heath Robinson at that stage. Total cost was about £200-£250. I used a duty cycle generator for the rotation motor so I could try different speeds.

A number of commercial version are available but tend to be expensive. Doing multiple records at once (I designed mine to do 6 at once) I found of doubtful value in a domestic environment.

My evaluation was the Ultrasonic method was no better than my Okki Nokki but was considerably longer and very noisy when the ultrasonic generator was running. With no brushes to supplement the cleaning I found surface marks were still left on the records. Hence IMHO the best of the Ultrasonic devices available is this one:

Ultrasonic Cleaner

But at over £2,500 was way way beyond my pocket. So the Okki Nokki (or equivalent wet cleaner) is still my preferred cost effective solution.

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
2018-04-04, 05:18
I too built a DIY ultrasound cleaner
It's highly successful and leaves the records spotless with the right cleaning fluid ...I use distilled water/ alcohol/photography wetting agent

All built for less than £150
Everyone should have one!!