Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Urika II & Lingo IV Launch Events - Expectations and Experiences

Urika II & Lingo IV Launch Events - Expectations and Experiences
2018-04-07, 14:30 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-08 14:03 by Catweazle.)
Urika II & Lingo IV Launch Events - Expectations and Experiences
As I missed the launch event at my trusted Linn dealer in February, I followed a recent invitation eMail by Linn (thx guys) to attend the launch event at a Linn et. al. dealer close to my HQ.

What I (and apparently some of the other guests) expected, was a head to head comparison of LP 12s with old vs new Lingo, and other LP 12s with old vs new Urika. As many here like to postulate: do only change one thing at a time. What we heard instead was the latest Akurate LP 12 (with Uphorik) vs the latest Klimax LP 12, in an elsewise identical Klimax system. This means changing 5 things at the same time. My resume was, that the more expensive LP 12 sounded better, which I'd expect anyway. Not exactly exciting news.
Moreover, an Akurate LP 12 in a Klimax system is not a very likely showcase, if one follows Linn's source first paradigm. Apparently, there was only one Klimax LP12 owner in the audience, and he was disappointed as well, left with no clue, what an Urika II upgrade might do to his system.

My partner and I left early, and I had to answer the question: "Why did you take me there?" later that evening. My big plan, to create enthusiasm for a Lingo 4 upgrade with this living room's C-level went completely down the drain this way Wink

Well, plans are always great until they collide with reality, aren't they? Tongue

My question to the wisdom of this forum: What was your experience at other Linn dealers' launch events, and how did they help you to understand the benefit of the upgrade? Have I just been at the wrong place in the wrong time, or was this the typical launch event?

I don't want to blame this particular dealer. Clearly, not every dealer generates enough revenue from Linn business, to justify an investment in so many demo LP 12s, like e.g. Peter. But there is a hen and egg problem hidden here. Maybe, Linn should find a way to support their dealers with rental demo gear, on such special occasions.

Happy listening,
CW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-07, 15:11
RE: Urika II & Lingo IV Launch Events - Expectations and Experiences
(2018-04-07 14:30)Catweazle Wrote:  As I missed the launch event at my trusted Linn dealer in February, I followed a recent invitation eMail by Linn (thx guys) to attend the launch event at a Linn et. al. dealer close to my HQ.

What I (and apparently some of the other guests) expected, was a head to head comparison of LP 2s with old vs new Lingo, and other LP 12s with old vs new Urika. As many here like to postulate: do only change one thing at a time. What we heard instead was the latest Akurate LP 12 (with Uphorik) vs the latest Klimax LP 12, in an elsewise identical Klimax system. This means changing 5 things at the same time. My resume was, that the more expensive LP 12 sounded better, which I'd expect anyway. Not exactly exciting news.
Moreover, an Akurate LP 12 in a Klimax system is not a very likely showcase, if one follows Linn's source first paradigm. Apparently, there was only one Klimax LP12 owner in the audience, and he was disappointed as well, left with no clue, what a Urika II Upgrade might do to his system.

My partner and I left early, and I had to answer the question: "Why did you take me there?" later that evening. My big plan, to create enthusiasm for a Lingo 4 upgrade with this living room's C-level went completely down the drain this way Wink

Well, plans are always great until they collide with reality, aren't they? Tongue

My question to the wisdom of this forum: What was your experience at other Linn dealers' launch events, and how did they help you to understand the benefit of the upgrade? Have I just been at the wrong place in the wrong time, or was this the typical launch event?

I don't want to blame this particular dealer. Clearly, not every dealer generates enough revenue from Linn business, to justify an investment in so many demo LP 12s, like e.g. Peter. But there is a hen and egg problem hidden here. Maybe, Linn should find a way to support their dealers with rental demo gear, on such special occasions.

Happy listening,
CW
Loud and Clear Glasgow did a very good demo of L4 vs L3.

The decks were identical other than the power supplies.

Result; the L3 is good and ain’t broke but the L4 is much better. It improved everything seemingly by reducing the noise floor. It’s not a subtle difference; all agreed.

A bargain by Linn standards. They really nailed this one.

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM
2018-04-08, 00:08
(2018-04-07 15:11)Ian Wilkinson Wrote:  
(2018-04-07 14:30)Catweazle Wrote:  As I missed the launch event at my trusted Linn dealer in February, I followed a recent invitation eMail by Linn (thx guys) to attend the launch event at a Linn et. al. dealer close to my HQ.

What I (and apparently some of the other guests) expected, was a head to head comparison of LP 2s with old vs new Lingo, and other LP 12s with old vs new Urika. As many here like to postulate: do only change one thing at a time. What we heard instead was the latest Akurate LP 12 (with Uphorik) vs the latest Klimax LP 12, in an elsewise identical Klimax system. This means changing 5 things at the same time. My resume was, that the more expensive LP 12 sounded better, which I'd expect anyway. Not exactly exciting news.
Moreover, an Akurate LP 12 in a Klimax system is not a very likely showcase, if one follows Linn's source first paradigm. Apparently, there was only one Klimax LP12 owner in the audience, and he was disappointed as well, left with no clue, what a Urika II Upgrade might do to his system.

Happy listening,
CW
Loud and Clear Glasgow did a very good demo of L4 vs L3.

The decks were identical other than the power supplies.

Result; the L3 is good and ain’t broke but the L4 is much better. It improved everything seemingly by reducing the noise floor. It’s not a subtle difference; all agreed.

A bargain by Linn standards. They really nailed this one.

Have to agree with Ian on this one. Loud and Clear nailed it and,yes I bought myL4 there and then.
Very happy chap.
Andy

LP12 Stiletto/Plateau,LV11 J7 rewired,Denon 20xl.Bonnec Timpano, Moon Neo 330 and Proac D20Rs. All held together with bits of Chord.
2018-04-08, 13:52
It wasn’t a launch event, but shortly afterward I had a dem at WYSAH comparing Urika v Urika II on two otherwise identical Klimax LP12s. Urika II a clear winner. And now installed and sounding fabulous on my own deck.

LP12 + Akurate stuff.
2018-04-08, 17:54
One event I attended was where my dealer showcased an ADSM/1 with 530s about 2 years ago.
That ended with me borrowing that same ADSM/1, and a day later placing the upgrade for my ADS/0.
2018-04-08, 17:56
(2018-04-08 13:52)Mark57 Wrote:  It wasn’t a launch event, but shortly afterward I had a dem at WYSAH comparing Urika v Urika II on two otherwise identical Klimax LP12s. Urika II a clear winner. And now installed and sounding fabulous on my own deck.

Ditto!
2018-04-08, 18:57
(2018-04-07 14:30)Catweazle Wrote:  My question to the wisdom of this forum: What was your experience at other Linn dealers' launch events, and how did they help you to understand the benefit of the upgrade? Have I just been at the wrong place in the wrong time, or was this the typical launch event?

Your trusted dealer did a very good demo of L3 vs L4 (and Urika 1 vs Urika 2). Wink

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs
2018-04-08, 20:56
(2018-04-08 18:57)BB1 Wrote:  Your trusted dealer did a very good demo of L3 vs L4 (and Urika 1 vs Urika 2). Wink

Looks like my defilade has been blown away BB1 Big Grin
2018-04-08, 21:57
(2018-04-08 20:56)Catweazle Wrote:  
(2018-04-08 18:57)BB1 Wrote:  Your trusted dealer did a very good demo of L3 vs L4 (and Urika 1 vs Urika 2). Wink

Looks like my defilade has been blown away BB1 Big Grin

Actually, this already happened a few weeks ago. Big Grin

AEDSM > KEB/1 x 2 > Linn Silvers > A4200/1 x 2 > K200 > MISOs