Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-26, 16:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Is my motor shot?

Is my motor shot?
2018-04-12, 02:38
Is my motor shot?
I have an LP12 which I purchased in 1975 (S/N 003748). Nirvana and Valhalla upgrades have been done. I have not used it for several years, but it has not been mistreated.

This evening, when I turned it on for the first time, the motor would not start. After several switches on and off, the motor starts up, gets up to speed, and after a minute or so stalls. It either spontaneously starts up again, or the power cuts off.

Is my motor dead? Any ideas how to revive it? Am I looking at a 4-figure repair? Any help would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-12, 02:53
RE: Is my motor shot?
(2018-04-12 02:38)Matt115 Wrote:  I have an LP12 which I purchased in 1975 (S/N 003748). Nirvana and Valhalla upgrades have been done. I have not used it for several years, but it has not been mistreated.

This evening, when I turned it on for the first time, the motor would not start. After several switches on and off, the motor starts up, gets up to speed, and after a minute or so stalls. It either spontaneously starts up again, or the power cuts off.

Is my motor dead? Any ideas how to revive it? Am I looking at a 4-figure repair? Any help would be much appreciated.

Of course it's possible the motor is shot
But more likely the Valhalla is the one that is the problem..
A new motor is about £110 ..and is a great investment for the price... especially if yours is still the original one!!
The Valhalla could best be replaced with a Hercules power supply from Edward or Stanford audio
That will cost a little over £200
Best to buy a new motor and speed controller and sit back and listen to the huge improvement!!
2018-04-12, 04:34
The capacitors on Valhallas fail after decades. These can be repaired with new caps. Ask your dealer for a recommendation of a local shop that can do basic soldering.

With the Lingo 4 just released, there should be lot of Lingo 1, 2 and 3 available for low prices. Look into this if you’re interested in upgrading.

LP12 + Cirkus + Tranquility + Lingo 2 + Ittok LVII + Troika + Linto • Acer Aspire One + Uptone ReGen + TeraDak U9 PS + Audiophilleo2 with PurePower + Numerik • Kremlin • Kairn 3 • Linn Blacks + Mogami 3173 • Slimline Aktiv Tunebox • 3x LK280 + 2x Spark • K600 • Aktiv Kabers + 038/2 tweeters.
2018-04-12, 07:55 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-12 08:14 by smokestack.)
I would have thought that most Lin dealers would still be equipped to complete the common Valhalla repairs .

As for the old motor, a flush out with solvent and re-lubing with a drop or two of light oil at the base of the spindle will often restore it to health.
[ I'm not denying the potential benefits of a new motor ... but its easy to forget that £100 is an awful lot of money for some folks on a tight budget]

Hope the solution turns out to be nice & simple for you Wink
2018-04-12, 09:03
Hi Matt,

I would very strongly recommend changing the oil in the main bearing, best to be done by a reputable dealer who can oversee everything else at the same time.
2018-04-12, 09:52
(2018-04-12 07:55)smokestack Wrote:  I would have thought that most Lin dealers would still be equipped to complete the common Valhalla repairs .
Probably not. After all, the Valhalla is now ancient, and I would be surprised if Linn still support/repair it.
But it definitely sounds like your caps on the Valhalla board have gone, rather than the motor itself.
Darren at Class A in Sheffield does a great job at re-capping Valhalla boards: http://www.hifi-repairs.com/
This would be the first port-of-call in your situation.

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Majik Kontrol, Majik C4100 x 2, Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Bases), Majik 126, Denon DCD-A100 SACD, Lumin A1, Lumin L1
2018-04-12, 13:07
Not sure where the OP is located....there are also places to get the Valhalla serviced in the US. ThomasOK rebuilt mine recently...very happy with the result.
2018-04-12, 13:39
(2018-04-12 09:52)kelly200269 Wrote:  
(2018-04-12 07:55)smokestack Wrote:  I would have thought that most Lin dealers would still be equipped to complete the common Valhalla repairs .
Probably not. After all, the Valhalla is now ancient,

LOL. So are most dealers, now... Tongue

‘troll (not so youthful either)
2018-04-12, 15:01 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-12 15:04 by Cymbiosis.)
(2018-04-12 13:39)moomintroll Wrote:  
(2018-04-12 09:52)kelly200269 Wrote:  
Probably not. After all, the Valhalla is now ancient,

LOL. So are most dealers, now... Tongue

‘troll (not so youthful either)

Steady on there!!! Young at heart Smile

Anyway, some Linn retailers may carry Valhalla boards ready re-furbished for exchange on the spot. I have about 30 here at any one time and I have Darren at ClassA re-build them as he does a really top class job. The Hercules is a good alternative if you require 33/45.

Motors don't often fail but it's fair to say that a new motor replacing an old one like the OP has would make a nice improvement in sound quality too.

Kind regards,

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-04-12, 18:14
(2018-04-12 02:53)Japtim Wrote:  
(2018-04-12 02:38)Matt115 Wrote:  I have an LP12 which I purchased in 1975 (S/N 003748). Nirvana and Valhalla upgrades have been done. I have not used it for several years, but it has not been mistreated.

A new motor is about £110 ..and is a great investment for the price... especially if yours is still the original one!!

Linn increased the price in January to £180 in order that customers go straight to Lingo 4.