Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 15:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / So how bad is it?

So how bad is it?
2018-04-14, 20:42
So how bad is it?
Ok so this is where I start to panic. When playing music, the bottom of my Kandid actually comes in contact with the vinyl. I don’t think it always did this.. I think I may have done something which caused this. I will say it’s making beautiful music. How much should I worry? What if any action should I take? “Fingers crossed”
Jon[/align]

LP12, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Keel, Ekos 2, Kandid, KK1/D, Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus, Pekin Tuner, 242s Mk2, RelB1 on top of Aurelex Sub Dude, Quadraspire Acrylic Reference Rack and wall mount, 2 dedicated circuits.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-14, 21:01
RE: So how bad is it?
What do you think you might have done to cause this? Are you sure it’s actually touching? It shouldn’t but it is close - Google some images, there’s not a lot of space between cartridge and record.

Is tracking weight correct?

‘troll
2018-04-14, 21:01
(2018-04-14 20:42)antnick Wrote:  Ok so this is where I start to panic. When playing music, the bottom of my Kandid actually comes in contact with the vinyl. I don’t think it always did this.. I think I may have done something which caused this. I will say it’s making beautiful music. How much should I worry? What if any action should I take? “Fingers crossed”
Jon[/align]

It’s either too heavy tracking, wrong VTA or as with some of the Lyra's on the odd occasion the suspension had sagged or needs adjusting.

A picture will tell a thousand words.
2018-04-14, 21:35 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-14 21:39 by antnick.)
So I took a few closeups and I think I may be ok.. but it sure is dirty. I’ll try to post

Here is another.. this angel isn’t so convincing..

I think it’s just combining into contact with the underside of the cartridge. I use green paper and silly putty.. scary how dirty this can get. I’m truly getting amazing music from it so maybe just leave it alone...?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

LP12, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Keel, Ekos 2, Kandid, KK1/D, Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus, Pekin Tuner, 242s Mk2, RelB1 on top of Aurelex Sub Dude, Quadraspire Acrylic Reference Rack and wall mount, 2 dedicated circuits.
2018-04-14, 21:41
Tracking weight is 1.82 confirmed with same scale I’ve always used. This sounds a good deal better than 1.74 which I previously had it.

2018-04-15, 00:05
(2018-04-14 21:35)antnick Wrote:  So I took a few closeups and I think I may be ok.. but it sure is dirty. I’ll try to post

Here is another.. this angel isn’t so convincing..

I think it’s just combining into contact with the underside of the cartridge. I use green paper and silly putty.. scary how dirty this can get. I’m truly getting amazing music from it so maybe just leave it alone...?

That doesn’t look right to me.... Sad
2018-04-15, 00:10 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-15 00:11 by LD100.)
I would suggest not playing any records with it rubbing like that.
It obviously needs a visit to the dealers, hopefully just for an adjustment.

It should be riding at approximately this level, giving plenty of room for record clearance.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=12186]

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-04-15, 00:11
Ouch, have you checked counter weight, yes obvious, but worth a look

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.
And bring your favourite album with !
2018-04-15, 00:22 (This post was last modified: 2018-04-15 00:23 by Glyn Ruck.)
Riding far too low.

Correct height:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12187]

2018-04-15, 00:29
Ugh.. I was afraid of this. To me it appears as if the cantalever is not vertical enough..way to horizontal. What consequences are there for playing the way it is? Is this something a dealer should be able to fix or am I eating a Kandid waaay before I should?