Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn Kore fitting

Linn Kore fitting
2018-05-06, 10:26 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-07 11:28 by Terry Crem.)
Linn Kore fitting
Hello forum,
I bought my LP12 nearly a decade ago and it has had a Dynavector 20X2L fitted for the last 7 years which needed replacing. I decided to go for the Krystal and whilst I was at it had the Kore and Tramploin 2 fitted, plus a service (oil, belt, springs etc.) which I've not had done before - who knew that springs which don't really move a great deal would need replacing every couple of years...
I have just picked up my turntable from a local hifi shop who is a Linn dealer and began to play records.
I've got to say that some music that I play sounds different than it did before. The instruments sound good but the vocals don't seem as alive as they were (i'm sure some sound as though there is slight reverb which I'd never noticed before).
On inspection I notice that the armboard is not sat squarely in its hole which it was when it went in for the replacements. Could my turntable be set up sub-optimally?
Should I take it back to the shop or give it time to settle down and my ears get used to the new sound?
Thanks for your advice,
Terry C        

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-06, 10:33 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-06 10:35 by moomintroll.)
RE: Linn Kore fitting
I know we often say that the position of the arm board in the cutout is cosmetic and doesn’t affect performance, but I wouldn’t be happy with that at all. Mine sits perfectly square and still did after being driven 150 back from my dealer. It looks like the suspension has twisted in transit and needs readjustment. It could just be the photo, but the armboard doesn’t look level with the top edge of the plinth either.

I do know that the top grommets can be a bit awkward to fit into the Kore, if you have big fingers, due to the hole being recessed in the box frame.

‘troll
2018-05-06, 11:14 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-06 11:15 by Ian Wilkinson.)
I agree with Troll.

The armboard should be square.
The fact that it’s not square maybe indicates the rest of the set up is questionable.

Was the player properly packed when you took it home with outer platter off and sub platter raised and packing wedges in the armboard?

Have you used this dealer with your LP12 before?

I

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM
2018-05-06, 13:19 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-06 13:28 by Terry Crem.)
It was all packed properly and slowly driven 2 miles home. I didn't see it in the shop with the platter on as I was in a hurry and couldn't give it a listen, and I only saw it in the box ready to go, i.e. without outer platter on so I couldn't judge the position of the armboard.
I haven't used this dealer before. They were very detailed in their description of what they were going to do and that you have to leave the new springs a day or so so it would take at least two days to do the work; they said that they have been servicing LP12s for years. They only charged £90 for the service which is apparently the cost of the new springs, etc., so that hey would get repeat business; they were very pleasant also.
I'll give them a ring next week and take it back in, but I think I might take it elsewhere to be set up...

No wedges between the side and armboard, but it wasn't done that way when I originally bought it from Cymbiosis 8yrs ago, and surely what's good enough for Peter...
2018-05-06, 15:07
I’ve never wedged the armboard. As long as the inner platter is raised on packing pieces, so the bearing isn’t touching the thrust plate when it’s transported, then the armboard doesn’t move significantly. In my experience.

‘troll
2018-05-06, 21:13 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-06 21:29 by LD100.)
(2018-05-06 10:26)Terry Crem Wrote:  Hello forum,
I bought my LP12 nearly a decade ago and it has had a Dynavector 20X2L fitted for the last 7 years which needed replacing. I decided to go for the Krystal and whilst I was at it had the Kore and Tramploin 2 fitted, plus a service (oil, belt, springs etc.) which I've not had done before - who knew that springs which don't really move a great deal would need replacing every couple of years...

On inspection I notice that the armboard is not sat squarely in its hole which it was when it went in for the replacements. Could my turntable be set up sub-optimally?
Should I take it back to the shop or give it time to settle down and my ears get used to the new sound?
Thanks for your advice,
Terry C

Regarding springs...this is the first I have ever heard of the springs needing regular replacement, and I have owned a LP12 Sondek since 1978.

Springs in general have surprisingly long lives...as in World War Two vintage Colt 45 pistols still using their original magazine springs and functioning perfectly.
Linn manufactured tighter tolerance springs and ground the top and bottom in 1981. Also changed from Zinc to black that year.
In 1986 further tightening of manufacturing tolerance.
And in 1988 tightened grinding tolerance.
Grommets were changed in 1989 to a new harder, denser rubber.

I could understand changing to one of the upgraded springs, but I can't see a rational reason to change them otherwise.
Of course, please use your money as you see fit. Smile

Regarding the arm board, if you look at the photographs in the "Show us your LP12" post, I trust you will not find any LP12s that have a skewed arm board like yours.

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-05-06, 22:04
Thanks LD. I'm going to get in contact with the shop but I can't say that I've much trust in them. It's fairly obvious that it doesn't look right and they were happy to let it leave like that...
2018-05-07, 09:06
If you are only two miles away get them to pop in and have a look/listen. Give them a chance to deal with your concerns before saying too much in this place. A good Linn dealer will want a happy customer. Only then , having been given this opportunity, should you seek further help here. IMHO of course. Good luck with it.

Stu.

PS. Arm and power supply ideally should have come before the Krystal, but understandable if you needed a new cartridge.
2018-05-07, 09:33
Yes I will. I have purposefully not named the shop, I just wanted someone else's opinion and it's a bank holiday weekend so I won't have a chance to speak to them until tomorrow.
I've got a lingo and Akito arm which I was not planning on changing (and would also cost many thousands to go along the linn upgrade path which I can't justify).
When I first brought th LP12 home 8 yrs ago it sounded fantastic and I couldn't stop listening to it. The same again when I had a new cartridge fitted about 18 months later. This time I'm not that impressed with the sound after spending over £2000 on new parts, which is very disappointing, especially when the Kore looks like it has been poorly fitted. I'll call them tomorrow and get it back in.
2018-05-07, 19:15
Fair enough Terry. It really should sound better than before. I hope they sort it out for you.

Stu