Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn Sondek LP12 Possible low-cost upgrade

Linn Sondek LP12 Possible low-cost upgrade
2018-05-07, 14:02
Linn Sondek LP12 Possible low-cost upgrade
Fill the motor pulley with black tack. The idea is that this sound-absorbing material is damp out any noise from the motor and provide a smoother drive to the turntable. It seems to firm up the base of the sound but this could just be my imagination. Anyway, it's cheap, easy to do and easily reversible. I'd be interested in the opinion of anyone who's tried this. My LP12 has a valhalla power supply.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-08, 07:50
RE: Linn Sondek LP12 Possible low-cost upgrade
(2018-05-07 14:02)AledT Wrote:  Fill the motor pulley with black tack. The idea is that this sound-absorbing material is damp out any noise from the motor and provide a smoother drive to the turntable. It seems to firm up the base of the sound but this could just be my imagination. Anyway, it's cheap, easy to do and easily reversible. I'd be interested in the opinion of anyone who's tried this. My LP12 has a valhalla power supply.

interesting. thanks for the idea.
regards.
francesco

No man is an island. No man is a sea.
2018-05-08, 11:41 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-08 11:45 by Terry Crem.)
What is "black tack"? Will blue do?
2018-05-08, 12:04
I'm sure blue would do.

That said, traditionally , the addition of absorptive "damping" to any part of the LP12 is considered to be "no no".

I've never heard any that works to provide a musical improvement.

This one costs nothing and is reversed in seconds...so no harm in trying it if you're curious.
[Just make sure that you don't exert any undue pressure on the pulley when pushing it in or removing it.]
2018-05-08, 15:07
Pulley is precision turned...

I'm sure someone would argue that the tac will throw out of balance (bit like a car tyre) and so affect suspension / motor/ motor bearing...

Living Room: Black Ash LP12/Trampolinn/Lingo 1/Kore/Akito/DV20X2H - AEDSM - Exakt-box - Linn Silvers - Akurate 4200D/1 (2 off) - Ninkas (Upgrade Bases)
Kitchen: Sneaky DS - Komponent 104's
Other: Sonos Play 3 and Sonos ZP90
2018-05-09, 12:40 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-09 12:43 by smokestack.)
If it were pushed in nice & evenly I don't think that would be an issue ...

...and it's certainly much easier to remove than the strips of self adhesive "Bostik" rubber panel damping that I occasionally had to remove from customers' platters, subchassis and arm-boards back in the day !

[Haven't come across too much of that in recent years ...thank goodness ]
2018-05-09, 14:54
(2018-05-08 15:07)ryl1e Wrote:  Pulley is precision turned...

I'm sure someone would argue that the tac will throw out of balance (bit like a car tyre) and so affect suspension / motor/ motor bearing...

Given the small pulley radius and paying attention to center the tac on the motor bearing there should be no balancing problems.
regards. francesco

No man is an island. No man is a sea.
2018-05-12, 17:22
(2018-05-09 14:54)francescopaolo Wrote:  
(2018-05-08 15:07)ryl1e Wrote:  Pulley is precision turned...

Given the small pulley radius and paying attention to center the tac on the motor bearing there should be no balancing problems.
regards. francesco
having been involved in balancing and moment weighing to tight tolerances using Schenk equipment for many years I would be very surprised indeed if you did not put it further out of balance.
Would the extra mass improvement outweigh any extra vibration causing deterioration to sound and/or bearing life? if it made a difference why wouldn't they be made that way to start with..
Interesting question but you would be surprised how far out of balance a machined / turned piece of metal can be