Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Bespoke Linn LP12 Plinth

Bespoke Linn LP12 Plinth
2018-05-09, 15:08
Bespoke Linn LP12 Plinth
Hi

I have timber from an Araucaria araucana (monkey puzzle tree) which has been cut and kiln dried. It is a very hard timber and I think it would be suitable for a LP12 plinth.

Has anyone ever had a bespoke LP12 plinth made?

Any advice or top tips?

Mozart
KDS1, KK2, Marantz AV8802a, Universal Blu-Ray: OPPO BDP-105EU
K350a (Walnut high gloss)
Walnut Klimax LP12 + Silver Klimax Radikal
Dynamik Majik 6100 - Aktiv Ninka, Aktiv Trikan
Panasonic TX-P55VT30B 3D HD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-09, 15:18
RE: Bespoke Linn LP12 Plinth
If you are serious about wanting an LP12 plinth from it, hopefully you are in the UK, and can deliver it to Simon Price. If it really is a suitable board, he will be able to make a nice plinth from it.

International shipping of raw lumber is 'sketchy'.

Your mileage will suffer if you give it to a highly skilled woodworker who has not made a good number of LP12 plinths.
2018-05-09, 15:55
Not a plinth, but my drumset is made of Araucaria angustifolia, which AFAIK is very close to araucana. I remember it being considered a very "pure" sounding wood for drums, with not many overtones, and it's definitely the case in practice.

What that means for LP12 plinths I don't know. Smile
2018-05-09, 16:08
(2018-05-09 15:18)Chris H Wrote:  If you are serious about wanting an LP12 plinth from it, hopefully you are in the UK, and can deliver it to Simon Price. If it really is a suitable board, he will be able to make a nice plinth from it.

Your mileage will suffer if you give it to a highly skilled woodworker who has not made a good number of LP12 plinths.

Thanks.

I am in the UK.

Where is Simon Price based?

Mozart
KDS1, KK2, Marantz AV8802a, Universal Blu-Ray: OPPO BDP-105EU
K350a (Walnut high gloss)
Walnut Klimax LP12 + Silver Klimax Radikal
Dynamik Majik 6100 - Aktiv Ninka, Aktiv Trikan
Panasonic TX-P55VT30B 3D HD
2018-05-09, 16:37
(2018-05-09 16:08)Mozart Wrote:  
(2018-05-09 15:18)Chris H Wrote:  If you are serious about wanting an LP12 plinth from it, hopefully you are in the UK, and can deliver it to Simon Price. If it really is a suitable board, he will be able to make a nice plinth from it.

Thanks.

I am in the UK.

Where is Simon Price based?

He is in the UK

Simplinths.
2018-05-09, 21:23
Thank you Chris
Indeed Mozart I am in NW Leicestershire, you ca either contact me through my website (no plinths on there) google Simon Price Furniture (hope I'm allowed to post this, if not mods please remove) or through Cymbiosis. Where are you based?
KR Simon
2018-05-09, 23:32
Not wanting to be a party pooper, Simon will be the best judge to use the timber for a plinth, my experience of turning monkey puzzle both wet and dry is that it tears easily, sands inconsistently which can result in a patchy finish. The main aesthetic is the rings of knots which form a contrast to the straight grain, if Simon can make it work there is the potential for a plinth that is visually different from anything else. If you can get it to work, please post pictures.
2018-05-10, 02:48
Party pooper how, exactly?

Of course Simon, or whoever else is to be using the particualr timber will be the judge if it is sufficient quality, or not.

It sounds like you have had a rough time with that wood, rebel player?

When I hear things like 'tears easily, or sands inconsistently', most often it is operator skill or choice of tooling. 'Clogs belts easily' is another thing, though.
2018-05-10, 08:48
I will admit that I have never used this timber (had to google it to see what it is like!), but have used some very "difficult" ones in the past. Quite often these lead to very pleasing results as I'm sure you will agree Chris.
2018-05-10, 12:47
Not sure if this is the place, but my first woodworking experiences were pre school in my cabinet maker grandfather's workshop. I was the only person to get 10/10 from my woodwork teacher at school and have been turning for 30 plus years.
My experience of Chilean Pine relates to turning only. The timber seems to vary depending where the tree was grown, remembering that in the UK they are ornamental rather than cropping trees. I have had the growth rings separate and the sanding problem relates to the difference in hardness between the knots and annual growth. I tried oils, wax, with and without sanding sealer. The knots shine brilliantly, the rest was just like blotting paper and stayed dull.
Perhaps I should have thought longer before posting, so apologies.