Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Urika II - a couple of technical(-ish) questions...

Urika II - a couple of technical(-ish) questions...
2018-05-10, 20:42 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-10 20:42 by mickc.)
Urika II - a couple of technical(-ish) questions...
Hi all

A couple of queries - apologies if either (or both) have been asked and answered earlier.

1) - What happens if a firmware update for Urika II fails for whatever reason? On all the Linn boxes I've used so far that have firmware that I as a customer can update, there's been a fallback button. Not so on Urika II. If it fails, would the advice be to depress the fallback button on the DS/DSM? Is the Urika firmware held on the DS/DSM anyway?

2) - What's the thinking behind part of the RIAA adjustment being made in the analogue domain before the ADC, and the rest afterwards in the digital domain? I'm sure it would have been decided on for all the right reasons but I would have thought that performing the entire RIAA equalisation rather than just the treble after the ADC would make for a more flexible phono stage. I think I read something about this around launch time but I've had a look and haven't yet been able to unearth the post.

Ta

Mick

LP12SE * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-11, 02:47
RE: Urika II - a couple of technical(-ish) questions...
Hi Mick,

regarding your first question, my understanding is that updates for Urika II are embedded in Konfig, so I would assume, that with the fallback on your DS/DSM, problems should/ could be solved.
As to Q 2, I haven´t thought of such theoretical things yet, I am just enjoying the musicality and verve of the new Urika Tongue
2018-05-11, 12:46
(2018-05-11 02:47)Ecki Wrote:  Hi Mick,

regarding your first question, my understanding is that updates for Urika II are embedded in Konfig, so I would assume, that with the fallback on your DS/DSM, problems should/ could be solved.
As to Q 2, I haven´t thought of such theoretical things yet, I am just enjoying the musicality and verve of the new Urika Tongue

I guess that makes sense - ta!

MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2018-05-11, 16:55
Actually it is the bass eq and subsonic filtering that are done after the ADC and the treble EQ is done in the analog domain before conversion to digital. The reason is that the highs are boosted significantly before being put on the record. Reducing the highs back to normal levels helps optimize the dynamic range of the ADC reducing the chance of overloading the chip with that energy. Also, if the graph Linn showed dealers in the introduction technical video is representative, the high frequencies of the analog stage in both Urikas is quite accurate with only a gradual lift reaching about .15dB at 20kHz needed to make it perfectly flat. Optimizing dynamic range and signal to noise ratio is also the reason that part of the gain is applied in the analog stage and the rest in the digital domain. There just aren't any ADCs out there that can do a good job handling the microvolt signal levels put out by moving coil cartridges, so some boost is needed first.

On the fallback question, hopefully somebody from Linn will come on and answer that. It does seem like a viable question to me.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-11, 17:29
(2018-05-11 16:55)ThomasOK Wrote:  Actually it is the bass eq and subsonic filtering that are done after the ADC and the treble EQ is done in the analog domain before conversion to digital. The reason is that the highs are boosted significantly before being put on the record. Reducing the highs back to normal levels helps optimize the dynamic range of the ADC reducing the chance of overloading the chip with that energy. Also, if the graph Linn showed dealers in the introduction technical video is representative, the high frequencies of the analog stage in both Urikas is quite accurate with only a gradual lift reaching about .15dB at 20kHz needed to make it perfectly flat. Optimizing dynamic range and signal to noise ratio is also the reason that part of the gain is applied in the analog stage and the rest in the digital domain. There just aren't any ADCs out there that can do a good job handling the microvolt signal levels put out by moving coil cartridges, so some boost is needed first.

On the fallback question, hopefully somebody from Linn will come on and answer that. It does seem like a viable question to me.

Thank you for that, Thomas. I did wonder if I’d got the RIAA curve thing the wrong way around! Your explanation makes good sense.

Mick

MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2018-05-11, 18:27
(2018-05-11 16:55)ThomasOK Wrote:  On the fallback question, hopefully somebody from Linn will come on and answer that. It does seem like a viable question to me.

I'd be interested to know that too. Presumably the firmware resides where the relevant processor (FPGA) is located. Does the Urika II have its own FPGA, or, as with the clock, does it use the one in the associated DS(M)?

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-11, 19:13
(2018-05-11 18:27)DavidHB Wrote:  
(2018-05-11 16:55)ThomasOK Wrote:  On the fallback question, hopefully somebody from Linn will come on and answer that. It does seem like a viable question to me.

I'd be interested to know that too. Presumably the firmware resides where the relevant processor (FPGA) is located. Does the Urika II have its own FPGA, or, as with the clock, does it use the one in the associated DS(M)?

David

The Urika II definitely has its own FPGA, the unit it is plugged into provides the clock, any additional resampling, DAC and analog output stage (if not using in an Exakt system). So I do expect that there will be firmware updates that are fed into the Urika II.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-11, 21:51
(2018-05-11 19:13)ThomasOK Wrote:  The Urika II definitely has its own FPGA, the unit it is plugged into provides the clock, any additional resampling, DAC and analog output stage (if not using in an Exakt system). So I do expect that there will be firmware updates that are fed into the Urika II.

Thanks, Thomas; that all makes sense. It also, as you say, begs the question as to how fallback is managed.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-12, 05:17
(2018-05-11 12:46)mickc Wrote:  I guess that makes sense - ta!

Just being curious: what does ta mean ?
Interesting thread by the way
2018-05-12, 06:04 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-12 06:07 by LD100.)
(2018-05-12 05:17)Ecki Wrote:  
(2018-05-11 12:46)mickc Wrote:  I guess that makes sense - ta!

Just being curious: what does ta mean ?
Interesting thread by the way

British informal

Thank you.

‘‘Ta,’ said Willie gratefully’

thank you, many thanks, thanks very much, thanks a lot, thank you kindly, much obliged, much appreciated, bless you

A slang word for Thanks.

The word is a result of the heavy Danish influence on the English language. Some English language roots are really Danish or Jutland. Equiped with this knowledge this word is easy to decipher.

The Danish word for Thanks is tak. In Scotland and upper England it was common to drop the k at the end because of the way words were pronounced during the time of old English and Middle English. Hence the slang word "Ta" which should actually be pronounced "TA-k" but over time became "Ta" is really Tak meaning "Thanks"

Person One: I will give you a ride to the post office to get your check.

Person Two: Ta

OK, I got carried away, I'll leave now. Rolleyes

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.