Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Where to put some money into my LP12

Where to put some money into my LP12
2018-05-11, 17:55
Where to put some money into my LP12
Hi,

I own an LP12 with an early serial number, something like 157--, i believe its mid 1970's. The plinth is fluted Afromosia in excellent condition. Tonearm is an Ittok LVII with an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II low-output moving coil cartridge. Power supply is a Lingo 3 which was installed 2 years ago by my Linn dealer. I plan on visiting my dealer with my LP12 in the next month or so. Some ideas I had were, Cirkus bearing. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have it but my dealer will be able to tell. A new sub-chassis, maybe a Majik? My budget is $500-$1000. I know the Kore is $1200, from what I was quoted. I also asked my dealer about plinths and he said usually he changes them if one is ancient or badly damaged. Just looking for some ideas from you guys on where to begin.

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-11, 18:16
RE: Where to put some money into my LP12
(2018-05-11 17:55)HDMan72 Wrote:  Hi,

I own an LP12 with an early serial number, something like 157--, i believe its mid 1970's. The plinth is fluted Afromosia in excellent condition. Tonearm is an Ittok LVII with an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II low-output moving coil cartridge. Power supply is a Lingo 3 which was installed 2 years ago by my Linn dealer. I plan on visiting my dealer with my LP12 in the next month or so. Some ideas I had were, Cirkus bearing. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have it but my dealer will be able to tell. A new sub-chassis, maybe a Majik? My budget is $500-$1000. I know the Kore is $1200, from what I was quoted. I also asked my dealer about plinths and he said usually he changes them if one is ancient or badly damaged. Just looking for some ideas from you guys on where to begin.

Thank you

Based on your budget, Cirkus/Majik sub-chassis would be the way to go although you will need more that $1,000.00 for both unless you buy used. Your dealer may have an old Cirkus sub-chassis sitting around in which case I would go with it and save for the Kore. How old is your AT cart?

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Standard Aluminum Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + Akurate CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2X AV5125 + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2018-05-11, 18:25
The Cirkus upgrade is definitely where you should be making the next upgrade. The Cirkus kit itself runs $720 but also requires a new subchassis and armboard. Adding the Majik aluminum subchassis and a new laminated armboard takes you up to just short of $1300. So you are already looking at being above budget. If your Linn dealer has a used original Cirkus steel subchassis and a new or good used laminate armboard then they should be able to get you OTD for under $1000. That would be my recommendation.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-11, 18:46 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-11 18:48 by HDMan72.)
(2018-05-11 18:16)kiko65 Wrote:  

Thank you

Based on your budget, Cirkus/Majik sub-chassis would be the way to go although you will need more that $1,000.00 for both unless you buy used. Your dealer may have an old Cirkus sub-chassis sitting around in which case I would go with it and save for the Kore. How old is your AT cart?

AT cartridge is fine, still sounds great, its approx. 2-3 years old. I'll look not used Cirkus. Thanks

(2018-05-11 18:25)ThomasOK Wrote:  The Cirkus upgrade is definitely where you should be making the next upgrade. The Cirkus kit itself runs $720 but also requires a new subchassis and armboard. Adding the Majik aluminum subchassis and a new laminated armboard takes you up to just short of $1300. So you are already looking at being above budget. If your Linn dealer has a used original Cirkus steel subchassis and a new or good used laminate armboard then they should be able to get you OTD for under $1000. That would be my recommendation.

Thanks. I'll look into seeing if my dealer has a used Cirkus and what not. Never thought of that.
2018-05-11, 19:30
(2018-05-11 18:46)HDMan72 Wrote:  
(2018-05-11 18:16)kiko65 Wrote:  

Thank you

AT cartridge is fine, still sounds great, its approx. 2-3 years old. I'll look not used Cirkus. Thanks

(2018-05-11 18:25)ThomasOK Wrote:  The Cirkus upgrade is definitely where you should be making the next upgrade. The Cirkus kit itself runs $720 but also requires a new subchassis and armboard. Adding the Majik aluminum subchassis and a new laminated armboard takes you up to just short of $1300. So you are already looking at being above budget. If your Linn dealer has a used original Cirkus steel subchassis and a new or good used laminate armboard then they should be able to get you OTD for under $1000. That would be my recommendation.

Thanks. I'll look into seeing if my dealer has a used Cirkus and what not. Never thought of that.

ThomasOK and I were on the same page, new Cirkus kit, old Cirkus sub-chassis Big Grin

That said, the newer majik sub-chassis is way more musical and I wouldn't hesitate to spend a little extra if the old Cirkus steel sub-chassis is not available. You are going to need a new sub-chassis anyway, the old pre-cirkus won't work.

If I remember correctly, the Cirkus kit includes the inner platter and spindle, the bearing housing, 2 belts, a complete set of replacement springs, all the grommets and replacement oil.

It will be like having a new LP12 Tongue

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Standard Aluminum Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + Akurate CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2X AV5125 + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2018-05-11, 19:51
Your dealer is right. Check that your plinth is sound, square and not coming apart at the corners before anything else!

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH.
LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak,
'75 Red Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'73 Red Rocker LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II.
'73 Twin-Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'71 Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-05-11, 20:04 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-11 20:06 by DavidHB.)
(2018-05-11 19:30)kiko65 Wrote:  It will be like having a new LP12 Tongue

... not least because fitting a Cirkus in effect requires a full strip down, rebuild and service, and so is the obvious first step. And the new/old sub-chassis, as previously recommended, is definitely the next step, and can be part of the rebuild if the budget runs to it.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-05-11, 20:11
From the sound of it I will be stretching my budget to get a Cirkus/Majik combo. Seems like the reasonable way to go. My dealer is 150 miles from me so it'll be worth the trip. I do not have the original LP12 packaging. Do you guys recommend having it. I know how to transport safely but is having the original carton beneficial? Maybe if I was taking a longer trip?
2018-05-11, 20:43 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-11 20:43 by DavidHB.)
(2018-05-11 20:11)HDMan72 Wrote:  My dealer is 150 miles from me so it'll be worth the trip. I do not have the original LP12 packaging. Do you guys recommend having it. I know how to transport safely but is having the original carton beneficial? Maybe if I was taking a longer trip?

If you can transport the deck safely with the outer platter removed, packaged and safely carried as a separate item, and the inner platter lifted a little and wedged so that the bearing is not making contact, that may be all that is required. Dealers vary in their view as to whether you should remove the arm and armboard for the journey, so it is probably best to seek the advice of your dealer as to how it should be transported.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-05-11, 20:43
Just to clarify I would recommend only considering used for the Cirkus subchassis and possibly the armboard, not for the main Cirkus kit - which is mainly the Cirkus bearing housing and the inner platter spindle (along with springs, grommets, oil, belt, etc.) as those you want to buy new. The subchassis is not a part that wears with age so a used one in good shape should be as good as when it was new. The same may be true for the armboard but only if the bolts for the arm collar were not overtightened cracking the lower level of laminate nor the mounting screws stripped from over-tightening. If either of these is the case then go for a new armboard which is only about $90 so the used one wouldn't save you that much.

The new Cirkus kit with a used Cirkus subchassis and a new Linn arm precut armboard should still be under $1000 before sales tax.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user