Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / LP12 - Good or better ?! / True or false :) just different...hmm!?

LP12 - Good or better ?! / True or false :) just different...hmm!?
2018-05-12, 09:44
Wink LP12 - Good or better ?! / True or false :) just different...hmm!?
*Late precirkus vs cirkus?

* Old turretnut vs new?

* Grey T-cable vs Mogami?

* Lid on/off?

* Trampolin 1 vs Trampolin 2?

* Lejonklou Power One cable om Lingo 1!

Well, what do you think/prefer and why!?
Please help me with more comparisons!!![/size]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-12, 12:30
RE: LP12 - Good or better ?! / True or false :) just different...hmm!?
Cant comment on the circus but when I up graded from a 20 year old bearing to a circus it was a def improvement.

Turret nots? Cant comment.

Cable only comment is that the Grey is far superior to the original one.

Linn off has always been the best way and having had 4 Lp12's of various standards spread over 40 odd years I have always found it the best way.

Trampoline, Cant comment but it is far better than an original base board and feet and you can really hear the improvement as well!.

Recently put a £600 mains lead (a friends not one I bought) on my Lingo 3 not expecting to hear any differences let alone any improvements and was blown away with the improvement. Three of us sat listening and neither of us could believe our ears. Imagery was the thing that hit us, an incredible improvement.

I have owned many other turntables and have always returned to the LP12, it simply plays more musically than any of my 4 others!

Majik DS, Inneos CD ripper, Simon Price Oak LP12, Black Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Dynavector 20X2L, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x4 LK100 power amps, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II.
2018-05-12, 13:33
Hi Wiltshireman!

Thank you for sharing your thougts!

Of course we have to divide character from musicality but sometimes I feel it is like sidesteps more than upgrades.

What I do believe in is to maintan certain parts of the LP12 so that you not change items of the same age:
* Topplate (different thickness and the older ones were lovely brushed ☺)
* Outer platter (newer ones lighter)
* Mats? Older thicker. More bassy.

What really made my day was the change from cirkus innerchassi to Kore though!
That really made my circus rock'n roll Smile!

Best regards
2018-05-12, 17:07
Hope to do the Kore one day but that will have wait a while as I want to do my phono stage next.

Majik DS, Inneos CD ripper, Simon Price Oak LP12, Black Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Dynavector 20X2L, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x4 LK100 power amps, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II.
2018-05-12, 20:43
(2018-05-12 09:44)Goodenough Wrote:  *Late precirkus vs cirkus?

* Old turretnut vs new?

* Grey T-cable vs Mogami?

* Lid on/off?

* Trampolin 1 vs Trampolin 2?

* Lejonklou Power One cable om Lingo 1!

Well, what do you think/prefer and why!?
Please help me with more comparisons!!![/size]

Bearings. Prefer Cirkus to previous bearing housings.

Old turret nut vs. new. Haven't actually tried this for musical quality. I'll have to do so some time. Two notes: 1) Linn changed the chassis bolts to painted ones a while back from ones that were somehow treated to make them black. The old turret nuts do not work well with the new bolts as they are too tight and can lock up on the threads. Older chassis bolts have a posidriv head, new ones have a hex fitting.

Grey T.Kable vs. Mogami. I find the original grey version more musical.

Lid on/off. Off is definitely more musical in my experience.

Trampolin 1 vs T2. I find the Trampolin 2 a big improvement over the 1 and over the original feet on any stand and wall shelf I have tried (and there have been many - but not Mana).

Lejonklou Power One cable on Lingo. Depends on the other cable you are comparing it to. The Power One is a very good cable but I find the Longwell cable that Linn supplied a few years ago to be even better and the current Linn I-Sheng is also very good, although not quite up to the Longwell. However, my comparisons are all done with US version power cables so YMMV.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-13, 11:16 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-13 11:20 by Catweazle.)
(2018-05-12 12:30)Wiltshireman Wrote:  Recently put a £600 mains lead (a friends not one I bought) on my Lingo 3 not expecting to hear any differences let alone any improvements and was blown away with the improvement. Three of us sat listening and neither of us could believe our ears. Imagery was the thing that hit us, an incredible improvement.

Rather than spending £600 on a power cable - what you probably won’t do anyway - I’d trade in the Lingo 3 for a Lingo 4.
The Lingo 3 “sine wave” driving/controlling the AC motor has a much bigger noise spectrum, as compared to the Lingo 4.

It’s tempting to speculate, that the power cable is filtering some noise from the power grid, thus leading to your observation.

The Lingo 4 electronics is obviously extremely good at this, plus the sinus waveform in itself looks much more ideal. The result is quite an improvement in SQ. I had the opportunity to compare them one with an other at my dealer.

I would not expect the Lingo 3 to be elevated enough by the cable alone, to beat a Lingo 4.

Apologies for this drifting a bit off topic, but I hope it might assist innocent readers.