Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Vinyl pressing quality - Ry Cooder, The Prodigal Son

Vinyl pressing quality - Ry Cooder, The Prodigal Son
2018-05-13, 14:35
Vinyl pressing quality - Ry Cooder, The Prodigal Son
I thought the quality of new vinyl was improving, but have had a run of bad experiences recently.

Latest example is Ry Cooder's just-released The Prodigal Son. Three copies of the red vinyl edition from HMV have had exactly the same defect (on the finest track on the album IMO, 'Nobody's Fault But Mine', end of side 1). The fault manifests as regular audible clicks at the point of the visually obvious mark (see photo).

Shame because the rest of the album plays perfectly and sounds superb.

I've posted under 'Turntables and Record Players - LP12' rather than 'Recorded Music' because this seems to me an issue of general relevance on the LP12 v DS question.

Why pay £20 for new vinyl when a high-res digital copy can be purchased via Qobuz etc for less than half the price?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika II, Keel, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Kat Exakt Akubariks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-13, 18:00
RE: Vinyl pressing quality - Ry Cooder, The Prodigal Son
Makes you mad! Have you tried cleaning it. Could be label glue.
2018-05-13, 18:33 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-13 18:34 by vincent.)
(2018-05-13 18:00)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Makes you mad! Have you tried cleaning it. Could be label glue.

Yup. Impervious to all cleaning including full RCM.

Definitely not label glue, as identical marks were in exactly the same place on all three discs (I insisted on opening the sealed second copy in the shop, and then a third, before getting my money back).

The manager in HMV said he was going to reject the entire batch. I'm hoping that a black vinyl pressing is available from another shop (the red was exclusive to HMV apparently) which does not have this defect.

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika II, Keel, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Kat Exakt Akubariks.
2018-05-13, 18:49
Yugh! How do things like that get through QC. Good luck! I once bought 6 copies of an LP for friends. Not one of them had the centre hole central.
2018-05-13, 19:19
Is it still the case that coloured vinyl tend to be worse than black for sound quality?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-13, 20:25
(2018-05-13 19:19)Mikeg Wrote:  Is it still the case that coloured vinyl tend to be worse than black for sound quality?

Not always.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH.
LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak,
'75 Red Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'73 Red Rocker LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II.
'73 Twin-Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'71 Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-05-13, 23:31
Quote: Is it still the case that coloured vinyl tend to be worse than black for sound quality?

Not always.

Tell me more, tell me more ... (Neil Young, not Olivia N-J and JT.) I've always avoided coloured vinyl like the plague.

Sondek, Hammond, Leslie, Rhodes and Moog.
2018-05-14, 07:22 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-14 07:28 by smokestack.)
I haven't experienced many problems with the pressing quality of new vinyl...be it new releases or re-issues .

The mastering to vinyl these days, however, leaves much to be desired.

It's almost as though we've forgotten how to do it.

[I'm fed up with loud but bland sounding new records with no real "air" or dynamic light & shade.]
2018-05-14, 07:44 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-14 07:49 by Catweazle.)
My dealer told me some time ago, that the vinyl revival lead to 'pirate' pressing plants in some countries. They don't use official tapes but other releases like CDs as source, and press as much as they can sell as cheap as they can produce.
Looks to me like the labels need to think about a strategy, how we can verify the source of a record.
In digital it smells like blockchain, in analog it might be a hologram, or something?

I'm not saying that "official" pressings don't have issues. I was suffering from bad press quality myself lately, and would't expect Amazon to source on the black market. Or is the supply chain broken, anyway?
2018-05-14, 16:56
With Sony ME reopening some of their pressing plants they have been pulling many of the old mastering engineers etc. out of retirement to teach younger staff how it was done in the good old days before some of the "black art" is forgotten forever.