Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Akubarik Exact/Katalyst upgrade - new option?

Akubarik Exact/Katalyst upgrade - new option?
2018-05-14, 21:17
Akubarik Exact/Katalyst upgrade - new option?
Hi all,

Today I found a new option for an Exact/Akubarik Katalyst upgrade in the Linn price list dated March 1st 2018.
Aparently there are two options now, to upgrade active Akubariks (without Exact)

1) Exakt & Katalyst Upgrade for Akubarik (Aktiv): New electronics, modules and measured 3K arrays, Price 20,290€

2) Exakt & Katalyst Upgrade for Akubarik : Uses customer's existing modules and 3K Arrays, Price 10,120€

The first seems to be the known upgrade from Active to Exact (now inkluding Katalyst).
The second seems to be a new option that reuses the existing active modules and doesn't offer new 3k Arrays but at half the Price.

Does anybody have additional Information about this second option or even better can comment on the improvement to be expected?

Regards, Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-14, 21:27
RE: Akubarik Exact/Katalyst upgrade - new option?
Isn’t the latter Exakt Akubariks being brought up to Katalyst spec?
2018-05-14, 21:31
(2018-05-14 21:27)pdcman Wrote:  Isn’t the latter Exakt Akubariks being brought up to Katalyst spec?

I don't think so, there is another option for that:

Katalyst Upgrade for Exakt Akubarik: Katalyst Upgrade for Akubarik (Exakt), Price 5,710€

Martin
2018-05-14, 21:37
(2018-05-14 21:17)Logan12157 Wrote:  Hi all,

Today I found a new option for an Exact/Akubarik Katalyst upgrade in the Linn price list dated March 1st 2018.
Aparently there are two options now, to upgrade active Akubariks (without Exact)

1) Exakt & Katalyst Upgrade for Akubarik (Aktiv): New electronics, modules and measured 3K arrays, Price 20,290€

2) Exakt & Katalyst Upgrade for Akubarik : Uses customer's existing modules and 3K Arrays, Price 10,120€

The first seems to be the known upgrade from Active to Exact (now inkluding Katalyst).
The second seems to be a new option that reuses the existing active modules and doesn't offer new 3k Arrays but at half the Price.

Does anybody have additional Information about this second option or even better can comment on the improvement to be expected?

Regards, Martin

The improvement is the same with the exceptions of not having measured arrays.
2018-05-14, 23:29
Do some of the later Aktiv Akubariks already have measured arrays, in which case they will be identifiable as such by their serial number? Those speakers could have the less expensive upgrade and still get all the benefits of Exakt. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Linn started measuring their speakers and compiling the database some time before Exakt was launched.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-15, 06:21
If I read it correctly the more expensive option comes with all new electronics and new amplifiers too, where the cheaper option 'only' replaces the Aktiv component for a new Exakt one. This would imply that if your DSM in front doesn't have Exakt ports, you'd have to upgrade that separately, making the cheap option more expensive.

The more expensive option turns your Akubariks into 'new' ones, meaning that with the next upgrade you'll be able to get the mainstream upgrade option, but of course that may take years.

But still, I'd ask the helpline (helpline@linn.co.uk) for a definite answer as this is new for all of us.

If you can easily afford the expensive option, I'd go for that one, but even the other option can be very interesting.
I have Aktiv 212s and 'only' upgraded my ADSM to Katalyst and that was a already a massive improvement.
That option is also available for you of course, so option no.3 is around € 2150.

Tin can telephone system.
2018-05-15, 06:41
(2018-05-14 23:29)DavidHB Wrote:  Do some of the later Aktiv Akubariks already have measured arrays, in which case they will be identifiable as such by their serial number? Those speakers could have the less expensive upgrade and still get all the benefits of Exakt. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Linn started measuring their speakers and compiling the database some time before Exakt was launched.

David

I think it was 2014. I seem to recall when I bought my 140s in 2015 I asked if they would have been measured, they said as they were post-2014, yes (albeit they were wrong because Majik speakers aren't actually individually measured).

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-15, 06:41
(2018-05-14 23:29)DavidHB Wrote:  Do some of the later Aktiv Akubariks already have measured arrays, in which case they will be identifiable as such by their serial number? Those speakers could have the less expensive upgrade and still get all the benefits of Exakt. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Linn started measuring their speakers and compiling the database some time before Exakt was launched.

David

Exactly. The cheaper option is only for those later activ Akubariks which had their arrays measured by Linn before departuring. I was thrilled I could be one of the lucky ones (but still is expensive!), but not this time. Still, as Tin says (and everybody else) the cheaper upgrade of the adsm to katalyst has been great!

MI
2018-05-15, 21:25
(2018-05-15 06:41)MetalloIL6 Wrote:  Exactly. The cheaper option is only for those later activ Akubariks which had their arrays measured by Linn before departuring. I was thrilled I could be one of the lucky ones (but still is expensive!), but not this time. Still, as Tin says (and everybody else) the cheaper upgrade of the adsm to katalyst has been great!

MI

Thanks for the feedback!
I guess I then will have to ask my dealer to check if my Akubariks already have measured arrays and if I can use the cheaper upgrade. Since my ADSM already includes Exact links I would prefer to upgrade my speakers to Exact and Katalyst instead of upgrading the ADSM - of course itˋs a different price tag.
Martin
2018-05-15, 22:24
(2018-05-15 21:25)Logan12157 Wrote:  I guess I then will have to ask my dealer to check if my Akubariks already have measured arrays and if I can use the cheaper upgrade. Since my ADSM already includes Exakt links I would prefer to upgrade my speakers to Exakt and Katalyst instead of upgrading the ADSM - of course itˋs a different price tag.

... and then some Smile. However, if you don't use the headphone output or front panel input on your ADSM, you could consider trading it in for an AEDSM as part of the deal. Because it is upgradeable, it should be holding its trade-in value. You may even be lucky if the dealer has a second hand or ex demo AEDSM.

I had passive Akubariks (originally bought ex-demo), so the challenge for me was affording all that extra amplification, plus the Exaktbox and cables. I got lucky; Linn had a Summer offer of A4200s for the price of A2200s, and my dealer had an ex demo AEBox 10. But it was a big, big investment, which has fortunately paid off really well.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko