Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / ROON - Thank you for implementing

ROON - Thank you for implementing
2018-05-14, 22:12
ROON - Thank you for implementing
Dear Linn-professionals,

after launching ROON support, I recognized, that there are only problem inquiries. I wanted to take the chance to send you a big "thank you" with a big smile for finally implementing ROON support. Works great on my systems.

From a more than happy customer
cheers

Robert
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-15, 03:53
RE: ROON - Thank you for implementing
Hear, hear!

(2018-05-14 22:12)Robert78 Wrote:  Dear Linn-professionals,

after launching ROON support, I recognized, that there are only problem inquiries. I wanted to take the chance to send you a big "thank you" with a big smile for finally implementing ROON support. Works great on my systems.

cheers

Robert
2018-05-15, 06:06
Yes
It has been a long wait however well worth it.
Thank you Linn

PS - I have seen multiple posts on other forums where people have stated they are now open to considering (or returning) to Linn now that ROON implementation is a reality.
Here is to Linn selling more DS's!

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis Signature LP12/Chris Harban Plinth/Keel/Karmen/Tranquility/Radikal/Urika/Aro/Kandid/Chord Music/Vulkan shelf
KDS/3-Chord Music
2018-05-15, 07:00
(2018-05-14 22:12)Robert78 Wrote:  Dear Linn-professionals,

cheers

Robert
+1 Big Grin

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon
2018-05-15, 09:00
I am looking forward to implementing Roon in my Linn system, as I may have a chance to actually organize my music files. Rolleyes

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-05-17, 01:03
So far I have no experience at all with Roon. The website is not very clear. What are the advantages of Roon compared to a UPnP server/Kazoo/Openhome renderer? Is it a replacement for the latter or an enhancement?

Would it need a more powerful PC or Mac instead of a simple NAS? And apparently Roon needs a subscription like a streaming service but it doesn't seem to be one. What would I get for that money?

Linn source/pre, Naim amp/speakers
2018-05-17, 06:37
(2018-05-17 01:03)DonEscoba Wrote:  So far I have no experience at all with Roon. The website is not very clear. What are the advantages of Roon compared to a UPnP server/Kazoo/Openhome renderer? Is it a replacement for the latter or an enhancement?

Would it need a more powerful PC or Mac instead of a simple NAS? And apparently Roon needs a subscription like a streaming service but it doesn't seem to be one. What would I get for that money?

Basically, roon is a server and control point. So it replaces Kazoo and whatever server you have (although there's no reason you can't run both). It has it's advantages (fancy front end and enhanced (sort of AI-ish) ways to browse and find things) and drawbacks (the fact it has a yearly subscription or large one-off payment is one of them, but there are others). I have managed to run it on my 2GB, Intel Celeron HDD QNAP, but I only have 1000 albums. If you have significantly more you'd probably need the minimum they recommend (4GB, Core i3, SSD).

Take a look at my thread on it, it may shed some light:
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=39616

I have yet to make up my mind on it. My free trial ends this weekend, at which point I will decide and update my thread on reasons one way or the other. Personal choice of course.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-17, 08:43
I can report that, after upgrading the RAM on my QNAP TS-453 Mini, and adding the external SSD for Roon Server, I have Roon running fine on my NAS.

However...... my initial impressions are negatively overwhelmed by the metadata handling in Roon, which is frustrating me to distraction at present. And I thought that was the main selling point of Roon.

- Lots (and I mean lots) of missing Artist artwork
- Duplicate albums with different artist names (some of which Roon seems to have invented, and which I cannot easily delete)
- No apparent ability to filter Artists down to Album Artists (meaning the artist view is littered with stuff I don't want to see)

I will keep persevering during my trial period, but so far I am just not there yet.

My overall sense is one of a huge black box over which I don't have sufficient control. Time will tell.

System 1: KDS/3 - Solos x 4 biamping - Sonus Faber Amati Futura
System 2: KDS/3 - KCT - Vivid 1.5
Cables: Vertere and Shunyata
Stuff: Richard Gray [RGPC 600S]; Kemp [QA Plugs]
2018-05-17, 09:08
(2018-05-17 08:43)rad Wrote:  I can report that, after upgrading the RAM on my QNAP TS-453 Mini, and adding the external SSD for Roon Server, I have Roon running fine on my NAS.

However...... my initial impressions are negatively overwhelmed by the metadata handling in Roon, which is frustrating me to distraction at present. And I thought that was the main selling point of Roon.

- Duplicate albums with different artist names (some of which Roon seems to have invented, and which I cannot easily delete)
- No apparent ability to filter Artists down to Album Artists (meaning the artist view is littered with stuff I don't want to see)

I will keep persevering during my trial period, but so far I am just not there yet.

My overall sense is one of a huge black box over which I don't have sufficient control. Time will tell.

I have to say I share your views rad.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-17, 09:43
(2018-05-17 09:08)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  
(2018-05-17 08:43)rad Wrote:  I can report that, after upgrading the RAM on my QNAP TS-453 Mini, and adding the external SSD for Roon Server, I have Roon running fine on my NAS.

I have to say I share your views rad.
That’s a shame! I was waiting for someone to come in and point out the novice errors that would be fixed in a jiffy ?

System 1: KDS/3 - Solos x 4 biamping - Sonus Faber Amati Futura
System 2: KDS/3 - KCT - Vivid 1.5
Cables: Vertere and Shunyata
Stuff: Richard Gray [RGPC 600S]; Kemp [QA Plugs]