Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Development v / Roon & DSM Lock up

Roon & DSM Lock up
2018-05-15, 09:36
Roon & DSM Lock up
I probably did something you're not supposed to do, but I wanted to see what would happen!

I started roon, added an album, and played it. Then I thought - what if I shut down the roon control app and just use the remote?

Well, it played for a bit, then the DSM locked up in the middle of the track (so it wasn't when a track change was imminent). Started up the roon control app and the "zone" was gone.

Tried the forced crash log (long press standby button - about 15 seconds before I gave up), but it only showed the Linn logo. Pressed standby again but it didn't wake up. So I doubt a crash log was sent. Had to hard restart (power switch) to get it up again.

So it's probably inadvisable to close the roon control app while it's playing, or it's supposed to continue playing? It shouldn't lock up in any even though.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-15, 09:59
RE: Roon & DSM Lock up
HeM - you have PMs disabled.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-05-16, 09:52
I am puzzled! I think the problem is I don't know what the functionality should be with the IR control and/or no roon app. And I don't know what caused the lock up yesterday because I tried again this morning and it seemed to work, after a fashion. After starting the roon app lkie yesterday, I loaded an album with Play Now, then killed the app. It played the whole of the first track, then started the second without any issue. I even paused it for a while and unpaused it again, no problem. All without the roon control app running anywhere.

So I started the roon app again and it was completely up to date with the track and time bar. So I killed the roon app again, paused the track with the IR, and left it paused for... about 2 minutes. Trying to play again and it just cycled the metadata but didn't play. So I switched sources to playlist, then back to Roon - and the track (and it's metadata) was gone.

So some guidance on what can or can't be done would be useful as a starting point!

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-05-16, 11:22 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-16 11:24 by Simon Chisholm.)
(2018-05-16 09:52)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  So some guidance on what can or can't be done would be useful as a starting point!

The Roon app needs to be running all the time. After you close this, the DS may play on for a short time, based on audio it had already received from Roon and buffered.

When on the Roon source, the Ir remote is useful for volume control and source switching. Pause or Stop commands will stop playback; Play will almost never have any effect.

You cannot use the Ir remote to switch to the Roon source and start playback. You can only start playing Roon audio from the Roon app.
Find all posts by this user
2018-05-16, 11:38
(2018-05-16 11:22)Simon Chisholm Wrote:  
(2018-05-16 09:52)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  So some guidance on what can or can't be done would be useful as a starting point!

The Roon app needs to be running all the time. After you close this, the DS may play on for a short time, based on audio it had already received from Roon and buffered.

When on the Roon source, the Ir remote is useful for volume control and source switching. Pause or Stop commands will stop playback; Play will almost never have any effect.

You cannot use the Ir remote to switch to the Roon source and start playback. You can only start playing Roon audio from the Roon app.

Thanks Simon, I thought as much re. roon app having to be running. Brian of Roon seems to think Play should work though:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-...port/42414

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-05-16, 11:43
(2018-05-16 11:38)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  Thanks Simon, I thought as much re. roon app having to be running. Brian of Roon seems to think Play should work though:

I'll defer to Brian re Play support.

The DS is capable of restarting playback of a paused or stopped Roon stream. My understanding was that Roon only supported this for a small number of seconds after the DS paused/stopped. I'm very happy to be corrected if this has now changed.
2018-05-16, 12:40
(2018-05-16 11:43)Simon Chisholm Wrote:  
(2018-05-16 11:38)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  Thanks Simon, I thought as much re. roon app having to be running. Brian of Roon seems to think Play should work though:

The DS is capable of restarting playback of a paused or stopped Roon stream. My understanding was that Roon only supported this for a small number of seconds after the DS paused/stopped. I'm very happy to be corrected if this has now changed.

Well, it does appear you are right in that it does currently only work for a short period. Perhaps that is what Brian means when he says it "works" - if it is what it is, then it's not long enough to be of much use. I mostly only pause to go out for a ciggie or answer the phone! Wink

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-05-16, 13:20
Just for the hell of it, I just played an entire album, 40 minutes worth, with no roon control app running. I'm sure this is not what you're supposed to do, but..interesting nonetheless.

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-05-16, 14:17
(2018-05-16 12:40)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  
(2018-05-16 11:43)Simon Chisholm Wrote:  

Well, it does appear you are right in that it does currently only work for a short period. Perhaps that is what Brian means when he says it "works" - if it is what it is, then it's not long enough to be of much use. I mostly only pause to go out for a ciggie or answer the phone! Wink
You smoke? Not only could you save up money very quickly if you quit, but also your internal organs would be worth more.
What a waste...
2018-05-17, 12:05
To clarify some of the above confusion:

Roon Core must be running at all times when listening to Roon
Roon Control App is only needed when control is required

So it should be possible to setup and start playback from Roon Control App, then shut down the control app with no adverse affects (other than your control options are limited to the IR remotes functionality).

This is what I am seeing when I try this.
My Roon Core install is the combined Core and Control App variant for Windows (and using separate Android Roon control app)