Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Off-topic v / windows 10 update

windows 10 update
2018-05-16, 11:34
windows 10 update
Windows 10 update - pain in the proverbial. Since this I now have a new disk partition that it keeps telling me is full and I should clear some space. Really can't imagine how dumb they are to allow this to go live. There are various threads about it and I now have to find out how to get rid of the problem. At first glance it seems less than obvious and I would hope they release an update that fixes it but who knows?

Anyone else do the update yet?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-16, 12:03
RE: windows 10 update
Quick update - after reading 5 or 6 subtly different but similar descriptions of how to fix this dotted around the MS answers site I took the plunge and it was a lot easier than the first one I had read last night and so all went well (I think).

So if you do get this it's not terminal Big Grin - just irritating, especially until you fix it because it keeps generating alarms, dinging away, that you have insufficient space.
2018-05-16, 13:45
I was watching a weekly podcast and it seems they delayed the release due to it causing BSOD on some systems, then they rushed it out without first releasing an updated beta (sounds like marketing forced the issue) so it does make one wonder why they rushed it.

I then heard there were issues with USB and Bluetooth, so with me having the Pro version, I went into the update settings and delayed 'feature' updates for 60 days (might extend that; you can take it up to 365).

One amusing aspect is that MS have very decently compiled the Intel microcode (for some CPUs) to mitigate the Spectre problems (though I believe there are new Spectre related issues that have been discovered and that these are much worse than was thought; I've yet to catch up on 'Security Now!' to find out more) but this was not part of the automatic update process; you had to install it manually (as I have now done) but the latest Windows build uninstalls that fix and there is not yet a 1803 version. Quite bizarre and it again makes you wonder what the heck they are playing at by needlessly rushing this new build out.

IMHO this 6 monthly feature update is rather silly; it should an annual event at most (more like 18 months). Fortunately, I only use it on my HTPC and still use Debian for my day to day work.

Bri Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-05-16, 15:45
Command line

cleanmgr

Clean up system files. Be sure to remove the old windows installation. Should free up a ton (read: 20 GB or so) of space.

Music never sounded this good.
2018-05-16, 16:16
TBH If I had realised I could defer the update I would have. Its not behaving terribly well at the moment. Nothing broken as such but slow sluggish responses especially when you first start using a program for the first time since the update. not sure why but I would hold off a little while if you can.
2018-05-16, 17:59 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-16 18:06 by Briain.)
(2018-05-16 16:16)Martin H Wrote:  TBH If I had realised I could defer the update I would have. Its not behaving terribly well at the moment. Nothing broken as such but slow sluggish responses especially when you first start using a program for the first time since the update. not sure why but I would hold off a little while if you can.

I heard of someone (who had USB problems) reverting it to the previous version (so 1803 to 1709) but I don't know that's achieved nor whether that's even an available option with all variants (the person discussing it was using the enterprise version). Of course, if you clean up the system files (to get all these GB back) then that will wipe the required files to revert, so maybe worth waiting to see how you get on before burning all of your boats. Wink

On the subject of Windows variants, I don't think that you can put off 'feature updates' with the home variant (only Pro or Enterprise versions permit that) and home doesn't have policy editor, so you can't use that to delay features updates. What I don't know is whether you can add the appropriate registry key to delay features updates (well, you almost certainly can do, but whether it works or not is yet another story).

Bri Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
2018-05-18, 09:34
I do experience the same thing, and what stresses me out is the fact that this a new laptop with only a few documents on.
2018-05-18, 09:50
(2018-05-18 09:34)anjomor Wrote:  I do experience the same thing, and what stresses me out is the fact that this a new laptop with only a few documents on.

Yesterday morning, I set the 'delay features updates' off for my old desktop (which is actually rather an ancient one) and it had rattled the 1903 onto it by lunchtime. It all seems okay thus far, but I haven't had time to take a deeper dive, nor have I yet attempted to attach USB devices to it (might get a chance later today).

When that machine updated to the previous build (1709) it went very wrong. The update process happened far too quickly and when it rebooted itself, there was no discoverable operating system! Fortunately, I very rarely use that machine (it's more or less just a test machine) and as with all computers in my house, none contain anything more than data that's being worked on that day (all other data resides on my NAS; backed up to other NAS units) so it was only a minor inconvenience to build the machine from a Win 10 DVD (as though building a new machine) but for most folks (who do keep all their documents on a PC) that would have been quite an expensive issue. Likely they'd have to take the dead PC to a repair shop, have their SSD/HDD removed and mounted into a caddy, have their data recovered to another disk, then have the PC rebuilt and that data put back; not an inexpensive operation, I'd wager.

I really do think MS need to space these features updates out to 18 months; a complete Windows re-installation (which is what they are) every 6 months is just being silly.

Bri Wink

2018-05-18, 14:34
I just had the update-mare. First thing, it broke my soundcard drivers, then it was sooo slow it took about 2 seconds to recognise a touch. Some games just wouldn't even start.
Had a help session with Microsoft, gave him control, and within 5 minutes he had fixed it all.
So apart from it initially messing everything up, the fix was impressively quick and effective.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-18, 14:56 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 14:57 by Briain.)
On my HTPC, my desktop and a KVM installation of Windows (on a Qnap), I use a cool utility called '12noon' and have various display resolution short-cuts on the task bars. This is mega-handy because I use RealVNC to access the machines (from iPad or Linux laptop) and a click resizes the display to suit the screen size of the machine that I'm using to VNC access them. Every Windows feature update thus far has borked that scheme (I typically have to reinstall Intel video drivers, then custom EDID into registry to sort over-scan on my TV screen) but rather astonishingly, this time the desktop ones still work (but I bet a bunch of other stuff wont; be checking all that out later).

Smile