Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Space Optimisation v / L-Shaped Room SO

L-Shaped Room SO
2018-05-16, 20:28
L-Shaped Room SO
Hi, all.

I'm about to try SO for the first time, and I have an idea about how to set it up. I'd appreciate thoughts on whether my idea makes sense.

The room is L-shaped. The short arm of the L is wider than the long arm. The speakers are located on the short arm and are slightly further apart than the width of the long arm. The listening area is on the long arm but not very far back from the width of the short arm.

My idea is to enter in SO the full length of the short arm as the width of the room and the average of the depths in the different parts of the room (i.e., (short arm width + long arm length) / 2)) as the depth of the room. These measurements will convey the approximate floor area.

In case it matters, here's more information about the room: It's in a basement. The floor is linoleum on concrete. The floor from the speakers to behind the listening area is covered in wool rugs. There are three casement windows and a stairway up to the 1st floor off the short leg of the L . Total area is about 275 sq ft, and ceiling is about 7.5 ft high. There's a fair amount of furniture and lots of bookshelves, as well as the speakers and the racks for the stereo. There are also wooden baffles as room treatment in the corners and on the side walls.

Is there a better way to get started?

Thanks in advance.

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/EkosSE/sKale/Kandid; DS3 Katalyst; Unidisk 1.1; Klimax Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE/ST200 on Townsend iso stands; Sound Application SA1 power conditioner; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs; LFD Grainfree Biwire spkr cables w/silver jumpers; Morph power cords
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-16, 20:32
RE: L-Shaped Room SO
(2018-05-16 20:28)Chaucer Wrote:  Hi, all.

I'm about to try SO for the first time, and I have an idea about how to set it up. I'd appreciate thoughts on whether my idea makes sense.

The room is L-shaped. The short arm of the L is wider than the long arm. The speakers are located on the short arm and are slightly further apart than the width of the long arm. The listening area is on the long arm but not very far back from the width of the short arm.

My idea is to enter in SO the full length of the short arm as the width of the room and the average of the depths in the different parts of the room (i.e., (short arm width + long arm length) / 2)) as the depth of the room. These measurements will convey the approximate floor area.

In case it matters, here's more information about the room: It's in a basement. The floor is linoleum on concrete. The floor from the speakers to behind the listening area is covered in wool rugs. There are three casement windows and a stairway up to the 1st floor off the short leg of the L . Total area is about 275 sq ft, and ceiling is about 7.5 ft high. There's a fair amount of furniture and lots of bookshelves, as well as the speakers and the racks for the stereo. There are also wooden baffles as room treatment in the corners and on the side walls.

Thanks in advance.

You may want to check this out first:

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/8/84/...pdf#page51

BY
2018-05-16, 20:34 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-16 20:35 by Donald.)
About to try SO for the first time then start here: -

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/8/84/...sation.pdf

In particular look at page 51 onward: -

5.5.1 Example room 4, L-shaped

Keep us updated on progress and good luck! Smile

NOTE: Post crossed with BY - at least we are on the same wavelength!

Unidisk SC || LP12 | Kore | Akito/Adikt | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 4.
Akurate DSM/2 | Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2018-05-16, 21:21
(2018-05-16 20:28)Chaucer Wrote:  ...

Yes! Post us a simple sketch. Wink /HB
2018-05-16, 21:46
I have a sketch of my room at home. I’ll scan it and send it in. I hope it’s legible.

I had looked at the L-shaped room pages in the Link before. After looking at them again, I remember why I haven’t done SO already. The method in the Link is way too complicated for me. Not to mention that the L-shaped room and speaker placement analyzed there is totally different from my situation.

Maybe the sketch will help.

LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/EkosSE/sKale/Kandid; DS3 Katalyst; Unidisk 1.1; Klimax Kontrol; Solos; Tannoy Kensington SE/ST200 on Townsend iso stands; Sound Application SA1 power conditioner; Luminous Synchestra Ref ICs; LFD Grainfree Biwire spkr cables w/silver jumpers; Morph power cords
2018-05-16, 21:55
I have some practical experience from a L shaped room, however not in the configuration shown in the link. In my case I can neglect one of the arms in the optimization with good results.

A sketch of your room and setup will definitely help us help you.

/HB
2018-05-16, 21:56
(2018-05-16 21:46)Chaucer Wrote:  I have a sketch of my room at home. I’ll scan it and send it in. I hope it’s legible.

I had looked at the L-shaped room pages in the Link before. After looking at them again, I remember why I haven’t done SO already. The method in the Link is way too complicated for me. Not to mention that the L-shaped room and speaker placement analyzed there is totally different from my situation.

Maybe the sketch will help.

Ok, in a nutshell:
Do two optimizations for the two rectangular rooms with small and wide width (extending your l-shaped room to two rectangular shapes)
Then compare the resulting modes, identify common one and listen to the different ones.
The one you want is a kind of ‚average‘ of the two rooms

BY
2018-05-16, 22:59
Ok, in a nutshell:
Do two optimizations for the two rectangular rooms with small and wide width (extending your l-shaped room to two rectangular shapes)
Then compare the resulting modes, identify common one and listen to the different ones.

BY
[/quote]

Good summary. Thanks. Sounds like a real time commitment, though.Sad

2018-05-17, 06:51 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 06:53 by Catweazle.)
(2018-05-16 22:59)Chaucer Wrote:  Ok, in a nutshell:

BY

Good summary. Thanks. Sounds like a real time commitment, though.Sad
[/quote]

Yes, it took us (my dealer and myself) half a day, to optimize for my L-shaped room. But it's definitely worth the effort.

Did you buy pre-owned equipment, or online? Usually, Linn dealers are giving their customers a hand (and ear) with SO. At least mine does.

CW
2018-05-17, 20:11
Thanks again to all for the advice. We have excellent dealer support. Once I get started, I'll ask our dealer to pay a visit and improve what I do. I'll share any insights.

After thinking about it, the 2-rectangle method described in the Linn instructions and summarized by Baba Yaga is counterintuitive to me. If I understand it, you average the modes for two smaller rooms. Another problem for us is that one of the hypothetical smaller rooms would be narrower than the distance between the speakers.

Our dealer recommended the average depth method described in my 1st post as a starting point. It would determine the modes for a room with the correct area, even if not the correct shape.

BTW, I'll attach a sketch of my room as soon as I get it scanned.