Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Is Sneak DS still useful?

Is Sneak DS still useful?
2018-05-17, 03:10 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 03:12 by wintermute.)
Is Sneak DS still useful?
Dear Linn members :-)

I used to use old Mac Mini (as a digital saurce) to listen to music in NAS (Synology 218+).
It was satisfactory in terms of sound quality, but it is somewhat uncomfortable.

I considered purchasing a Linn network player, but the new product did not fit my budget.
Meanwhile, I found 2nd handed Linn Sneaky DS nearby local audio shop.

I know that Sneaky DS is an old product,
but I am considering purchasing it in anticipation that
I will still be able to listen to good music at bargain prices.

In fact, I'm worried about software support rather than sound quality.
I know that the Roon has been updated to 1.5 recently,
so I can play the Roon in the Linn DS products,
but there is no mention in the Sneaky DS whether I can play Roon.

I know Sneaky DS is an outdated product,
but does the software (like Davaar? from Linn) still support Sneaky DS?

Can I play Roon on Sneaky DS?
Is Sneaky DS still useful for playing high-res music files (24/192) on my NAS?

DH KIM.

Head-fi user. HD800s, Goldmund Telos Headphone Amp 2 (DAC/AMP)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-17, 06:14
RE: Is Sneak DS still useful?
Go for it!
You can always ask the shop to borrow it for a few days to see if you like it.
But as far as your worries/questions are concerned, it is all good.

Tin can telephone system.
2018-05-17, 06:27
Even though you are banned for some reason (?) all Linn DS players can do what any other Linn DS player does (the exception being that only those with the Katalyst DACs can natively play DSD). Apart from that I think I am right, but I am open to be corrected!

But I do know a Sneaky will still be updated with the latest software, and hence it will be able to play Roon now that Davaar63 is released. And it will be able to play 192/24 files too as it has always done.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-17, 08:14
The automatic banning thing is a bit weird, it seems to happen to quite a lot of new people whose quations I can't fault.
It is probably an automatic hammer against SPAM, and maybe a little bit over sized.

2018-05-17, 12:11 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 21:14 by DavidHB.)
Wintermute seems to have been unbanned, so we should belatedly welcome ?him to the Forum.

Linn's policy is to keep product life cycles as long as possible, and only to discontinue support when spares or consumables become unobtainable. In the 11 years since they produced their first DS, they have, as Tin says, kept their DS/DSM firmware backwards compatible with the hardware features of all previous models. This is quite a major achievement, and it must be increasingly difficult to maintain this policy as technology develops.

From the user perspective, this policy is likely to make the Sneaky a better buy for longer term use than many of its contemporaries. If you feel that the Sneaky you have seen is offered at a good price, and it is still available, I'd go for it. For someone with your kind of system, it's a very good introduction to the world of Linn streaming. Also, do check how old the Sneaky is. Linn offer a five year warranty on all products, and it is transferable.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-17, 12:52
(2018-05-17 03:10)wintermute Wrote:  I know that the Roon has been updated to 1.5 recently,
so I can play the Roon in the Linn DS products,
but there is no mention in the Sneaky DS whether I can play Roon.

https://roonlabs.com/partners/linn.html
2018-05-17, 19:56
I was concerned about the same thing, but now have a sneaky DS. I am amazed at how good the little box is, especially now I have got the space optimisation running too. I can confirm that it does get updated with latest software as it is released.
I bought mine from a linn dealer as ex demonstration, so was able to register it with Linn to gain a 5 year warranty.
You will certainly not be disappointed if you get one.
2018-05-17, 20:52
(2018-05-17 19:56)nhojsllih Wrote:  I was concerned about the same thing, but now have a sneaky DS. I am amazed at how good the little box is, especially now I have got the space optimisation running too. I can confirm that it does get updated with latest software as it is released.
I bought mine from a linn dealer as ex demonstration, so was able to register it with Linn to gain a 5 year warranty.
You will certainly not be disappointed if you get one.

I agree. I have had a Sneaky DS that I bought secondhand, for about six months and I can't really fault it.

I would recommend it as an excellent introduction to streaming.

Sneaky DS - Classik - 2x LK140 - Katan - Black Interconnects - QED Silver Anniversary (speaker cables) - QNAP 251+
2018-05-17, 22:17 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 22:18 by nopiano.)
RE: Is Sneaky DS still useful?
I’m delighted to read this as I’ve also just bought a used one. I’m expecting a parcel tomorrow!

I have streamed Qobuz via a Chromecast audio thingy. It’s incredible for the money, but it doesn’t do gapless and I’m sure I can get better replay. Space Optimisation is a further potential bonus.

I’ve not got a NAS either, so I’ll doubtless return for some advice!

The cat 5 cable is in place, behind the Hi-Fi...

Sneaky Music DS, Michell/Rega/Grado, Primare I32 amp, Marantz SA14s1 SE SACD player, ATC SCM40 speakers. (Once owned LP12/Syrinx PU3/Goldring Electro lz.)
2018-05-18, 09:18
(2018-05-17 22:17)nopiano Wrote:  I’m delighted to read this as I’ve also just bought a used one. I’m expecting a parcel tomorrow!

I have streamed Qobuz via a Chromecast audio thingy. It’s incredible for the money, but it doesn’t do gapless and I’m sure I can get better replay. Space Optimisation is a further potential bonus.

I’ve not got a NAS either, so I’ll doubtless return for some advice!

The cat 5 cable is in place, behind the Hi-Fi...
Oh, you will be shocked out of your socks today. Smile