Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Akurate DSM hangs

Akurate DSM hangs
2018-05-17, 08:30
Akurate DSM hangs
Two days ago I got Katalyst installed in my Exaktbox 10 by my dealer. When setting it up in Konfig there was a Davaar upgrade available for the Akurate DSM Mk2, which I installed.

Problem now is that it stops playing after a number of songs, can be one can be 20. Seems to be between tracks. But it not only stops, it hangs more or less completely and shows an X on the right side of the display. Remote does not work and sometimes not even the stby button on the DSM either. Then it is only power cycling left, which cures it.

It seems to be related to playing from my server (minimserver on Raspberry PI) but I am not sure. Watching TV (toslink) for a few hours is uninterrupted.

My suspicion is that it is related to the DSM rather than the Katalyst upgrade. Are there any known bugs with Davaar 63? I am considering reverting to Davaar 62 to see if it helps.

I did the 10s push on stdby to send logs to Linn, not sure if it worked.

Apart from this issue the upgrade is wonderful!

Any ideas?

Lesson learned: never do two upgrades at once.

Jesper
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-17, 11:01
RE: Akurate DSM hangs
The "X" is a sign that the DSM has no network connection. Check that the network cable is properly connected.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-05-17, 12:12
Hi

I'd restart everything. Tell the NAS to close down, then tell your computers to shut down, then switch off everything else that is connected to the network, then reboot the router, then after a few minutes (for it to boot back up and settle down) start everything else back up and see if that fixes things.

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADS/0 -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-05-17, 12:38
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have started the process with reboots but since the problem is intermittent I have yet to find out if it helps. Good to know that the X means no connection.

The strange thing is that I never touched anything but the exaktbox. The DSM was connected to the network all the time (but turned off during the removal of the exaktbox of course). The rest of the network was untouched.

I cannot see that the exaktbox itself could cause this kind of problem, or?

I will continue troubleshooting tonight.

Jesper
2018-05-17, 14:41
What Control Point are you using? There are some really stupid programs that control the Linn as a UPNP component. As soon as the control point is no longer active (on your phone / tablet / computer) music will then stop.

Music never sounded this good.
2018-05-17, 18:46
Kazoo
2018-05-17, 20:13 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 20:14 by DavidHB.)
How is your DSM connected to the network? Does the Ethernet cable go straight to the router, or is there another switch in between? And just to check (you don;t mention it), can you confirm that you are not using powerline adapters for this connection? Finally, can you confirm that there is only one router in your system?

Intermittent failure of the Ethernet connection, which is what you seem to have, is more likely to be a problem with the network than with the DSM. There could be an issue with the switch, or, less likely, a DHCP problem causing intermittent address conflicts. Ethernet is generally more reliable than wireless, but, when it does play up, the cause seems to be hardware failure more often than system settings. The most (but not very) recent problem I had with my Ethernet was a faulty connection in a wall socket.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-17, 21:51
I restarted the router and Raspberry Pi and so far have seen no more interrupts. DSM and PI are both connected to the same switch using ethernet cables, switch connected direct to router. Maybe there was some sort of conflict after the Davaar upgrade. I play on and hope for the best now....
2018-05-17, 22:14
(2018-05-17 21:51)jsall Wrote:  I restarted the router and Raspberry Pi and so far have seen no more interrupts. DSM and PI are both connected to the same switch using ethernet cables, switch connected direct to router. Maybe there was some sort of conflict after the Davaar upgrade. I play on and hope for the best now....

As you say, fingers crossed. If you get a recurrence, try swapping out the switch for another one, or at least moving the connections round. If the switch is managed, which hopefully is not the case, you'd also need to look at its settings.

A network conflict following the firmware upgrade doesn't seem likely. But I did have a problem with a switch which seemed to be triggered by the disconnections and re-connections associated with DSM firmware upgrades. I was able to identify the problem by temporarily running a long Ethernet cable directly from my DSM to the central node of my network (presumably the router in your case), and thereby bypassing the suspect switch. A replacement switch fixed the problem.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-18, 07:32
The switch is a possibility but it seems so strange that the problem coincided so well with the upgrade. First interrupt occurred after the first track I played post upgrade and I have never had it before. Let's see what happens...

Jesper