Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / Upgrade advice

Upgrade advice
2018-05-17, 18:16
Upgrade advice
Hey guys

My current setup:

Rega Planar 3
Akurate Exakt DSM
Majik Exaktbox
Majik 140s with upgraded stands.

Most of my listening is digital so doesn’t make sense for me to LP12.

What’s the next move? Could I add a Akurate 4200 and use the 200 amps to power the tweeter/super tweeter and the 100s in the exaktbox to do everything else?

Can you only use some of the amps in the exaktbox?

Thanks in advance for help!

Dom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-17, 18:50 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 02:23 by mrco99.)
RE: Upgrade advice
Hi Dom,

I imagine with Exakt a Katalyst DSM upgrade won't make much of a difference and there is no such thing available yet for the Majik-I Exaktbox.

So Akurate Exaktbox with Katalyst and indeed separate (Akurate) poweramps is wat makes the most difference in your setup.

Perhaps save up some more and enjoy what you have now makes most sense... Wink

Cheers,

Marco

Lejonklou | Klangedang | Graham Audio | OPPO | Harmonihyllan | NOKTable | Quadraspire

www.hexagonaudio.eu

#1 LP12/Keel/Ekos/Adikt - KDS3 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik MM phono - Satagun Mono Preamps - Tundra Mono Poweramps - Klangedang T1 - Rel Stampede sub
#2 ADS1 - Boazu - Chartwell LS3/5
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-17, 19:15 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 19:16 by timster (RadiatorCatHammock).)
(2018-05-17 18:16)audiophileD Wrote:  Hey guys

My current setup:

Rega Planar 3
Akurate Exakt DSM
Majik Exaktbox
Majik 140s with upgraded stands.

Most of my listening is digital so doesn’t make sense for me to LP12.

What’s the next move? Could I add a Akurate 4200 and use the 200 amps to power the tweeter/super tweeter and the 100s in the exaktbox to do everything else?

Can you only use some of the amps in the exaktbox?

Thanks in advance for help!

Dom

A very similar set up to mine. My plan is:
1) Sell Rega and go 100% digital, replace M140s with Kudos Super 20A
2) Replace MEbox-I with AEbox6(Katalyst) + A4200

To do the 1) is well within reach for the cost of an A4200, considering the potential value of the Rega and 140s
The later addition 2), if done on the 2nd hand market, is also very reachable.

Something to consider.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-05-17, 19:25
I don't think the Majik Exaktbox cares whether or not an individual channel amp is in use or not, you just feed the rca output into your external amp and away you go. So, I'd say that yes, you could use a 4200 for tweeter/supertweeter (or any other combo - try all the permutations as you can never tell which will sound best). Then as others say above, you're on the path - get another 4200 when funds allow and then finally swap the Majik Exaktbox for a Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox10.
Source-first would say do the Exaktbox change first, but as you then need amps it gets to be a big upfront expense.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
2018-05-17, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 21:10 by DavidHB.)
@Dom

The thing is that you have a very well-balanced system now, and I think that it would take quite a lot of changes to bring the system back into balance at the next higher level. You can see something of that in timster's forward planning. Rather than swapping components on a piecemeal basis (something we are all tempted to do from time to time), it would probably make more sense to go to a dealer with the aim of working out what the next 'point of balance' is, and forming a longer term plan, as timster has done (and, indeed, as I did in working my way from the ADSM > A2200 > M109s system I had to the system I have today).

A major issue is whether, long term, you will want a Katalyst system or not. If you do (and that is something that only your ears can decide), you will need to take a risk. If you upgrade to Akurate Katalyst in some form, that has a significant cost, especially if you stay with Exakt. If you decide to wait until there is, say, a Katalyst upgrade for you Exaktbox-I, you may wait forever; Linn have yet to tell us whether the Majik product line will be given the Katalyst treatment or not. It might be sensible to wait until Linn's intentions (and therefore your options) are clearer, but I realise that you already have the upgrade itch ... Smile

There are two options you might not have thought of. One is to look at (and, more importantly, listen to) the 5 Series integrated Exakt speakers. They are not what you would call cheap, but, with the trade-in value of your Exaktbox and speakers taken into account, even the 530s are less expensive than going to any form of full Akurate Exakt system. Unfortunately, there is no Katalyst upgrade for the 5 series, or, so far, any hint that there will be one. If you like the sound they make, their big selling point is that they are domestically more acceptable than many other speakers - no cable spaghetti and a variety of fabric coverings to suit the taste of the interior design department.

The other option is to stick with your present system, but add a sub-woofer and Exaktbox Sub. Your 140s only go down to 55Hz at (presumably) -3dB; adding a couple of octaves to that with a properly integrated sub will make the whole system sound fuller and richer. A decent sub from, say, BK Elec and the Exaktbox together would probably cost you less than a second hand A4200, and will add power in the part of the system that uses it most, the lower frequencies. My view is that this is probably the most cost-effective improvement to your system that you can currently make, but, again, it is something on which it is worth getting dealer advice, and, if possible, a demonstration.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-05-17, 22:24
David mentioned already, a problem is your current system is pretty balanced. Taking it to the next level requires a bit of a bold move. You don't mention your budget but if I were in your shoes I would explore a route to get all integrated Katalyst Akubariks and sell everything obsolete to fund it. The alternative is marked by timster's advice. One of the two. Everything else would be piecemeal.

KK/1/D, KDS/3, 2xKCTs/D into B&W 803 D3, Oppo 105, QNAP 439 Pro II, QNAP TS 453A
2018-05-18, 09:06
I agree with the others.
Your system is balanced now and it will take some serious money to achieve the same on a higher level.
So decide on a budget first and figure out an affordable endpoint.
Buying a 4200 is something you can do, and it would be a nice intermediate step, but somewhat of a lousy endpoint.
You really need an Akurate Exaktbox to make that worth it, and if you want to keep the 140s, that'll take another 4200 as well.
This will require a lot of interconnects too, and those aren't free either. You also have to consider whether the increased box-count fits in your cabinet(s).

Another option, aside from Timsters option, might be to look at secondhand 520s or 530s.
Personally I like the idea of 520s, combined with a pair of subs, but 530s should be able to outrun 140s too.
The downside of the series-5 is that they resemble scratching posts, which might become an issue if you have feline nobility living in your house..
2018-05-18, 09:53 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 09:54 by mrco99.)
I would second Tin's suggestion to try a pair of 530s.

Also you could look for a pair of Majik Isobariks, it requires the same amount of amplification channels and may add some oomph to your system - though you don't mention you're currently short of that.

Lastly, it may take some more saving but don't rule out Exakt integrated Akudoriks. They come in both Katalyst and non-Katalyst flavours, one more affordable than the other but both might surprise you what performance they bring as a standmount speaker - in fact I wonder if your Majik 140s can keep up...

Lejonklou | Klangedang | Graham Audio | OPPO | Harmonihyllan | NOKTable | Quadraspire

www.hexagonaudio.eu

#1 LP12/Keel/Ekos/Adikt - KDS3 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik MM phono - Satagun Mono Preamps - Tundra Mono Poweramps - Klangedang T1 - Rel Stampede sub
#2 ADS1 - Boazu - Chartwell LS3/5
2018-05-18, 10:02
(2018-05-18 09:53)mrco99 Wrote:  I would second Tin's suggestion to try a pair of 530s.

Also you could look for a pair of Majik Isobariks, it requires the same amount of amplification channels and may add some oomph to your system - though you don't mention you're currently short of that.

Lastly, it may take some more saving but don't rule out Exakt integrated Akudoriks. They come in both Katalyst and non-Katalyst flavours, one more affordable than the other but both might surprise you what performance they bring as a standmount speaker - in fact I wonder if your Majik 140s can keep up...
Good suggestion!
I would have thought they'd be very expensive, but not mentioning them would be wrong.
I'm pretty sure they'd outrun 140s on all accounts (I'd really love to have Akudoriks Sad ).
2018-05-18, 10:09
Can I just add that it is almost impossible to give advice when no budget is indicated. Rolleyes

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.