Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / A6200 is it possible with Linn's new machinery?

A6200 is it possible with Linn's new machinery?
2018-05-17, 21:52 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-17 21:55 by Catweazle.)
A6200 is it possible with Linn's new machinery?
For me as an old 3-way speaker guy, changing from C6100 to A6200 sounds like an attractive option. So what's in the way of it? Most likely the power consumption, asking too much from the standard PSU. But with Linn's new machinery, and smaller components, circuit boards can be build much smaller, so we read. Think of a bi-turbo, ehem, sorry, a double mono layout with one standard PSU per side. Would such an A6200 be posible space-wise? I have no clue, but Linn might have.
Any wisdom of the crowd?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-17, 21:58
RE: A6200 is it possible with Linn's new machinery?
Interesting - and given Exakt, if you forgo Aktiv card compatibility there'd be a little bit more space to play with as well. There'd probably be uproar and conspiracy theories, but then people don't like change.

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2018-05-17, 22:36
I think that Linn would prefer that you bought an A4300 for each speaker ... Smile

Unless something is in the works that Linn are keeping very close to their chest, the 10+ year dominance of the Chakra design does not seem likely to end any time soon. If designs are eventually miniaturised, using Chakra or some other topology, I would expect to see more integrated products, especially integrated speaker designs, rather than new standalone amplifier models.The pre-amplifier has already disappeared from the range. One day, I believe, the separate power amplifier will go the same way.

No-one, as far as I know, has as yet undercut Linn price-wise at the same quality level. But it's going to happen sooner or later. Linn will need to stay ahead of the game with more innovative product. In future, I think, people will be buying whatever succeeds the 5 series rather than multi-box systems like mine.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-18, 06:58 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 07:02 by Tin.)
(2018-05-17 21:52)Catweazle Wrote:  For me as an old 3-way speaker guy, changing from C6100 to A6200 sounds like an attractive option. So what's in the way of it? Most likely the power consumption, asking too much from the standard PSU. But with Linn's new machinery, and smaller components, circuit boards can be build much smaller, so we read. Think of a bi-turbo, ehem, sorry, a double mono layout with one standard PSU per side. Would such an A6200 be posible space-wise? I have no clue, but Linn might have.
Any wisdom of the crowd?
I can't offer you wisdom, but you can have my 2 cents.
As the AV5125 already excisted, and that its power supply would have been powerful enough to make a 6200, I think it would certainly be possible with the new machinery. Yet they have stopped producing it.
So, extrapolating from that I'd say that a new 'something' is on its way.

No idea what that something might be though, Linn often has quircky solutions, so it could be a 3 or 4 channel Akurate Exaktbox-I as well, or an Klimax Integrated Exaktbox...or maybe an 10 way class-D amp, who knows.

Enjoy the 2 cents, don't spend them all at once.

PS In the mean time, buying a 4200 and 2200 would be a 'nice' upgrade too, in my ears (and or setup, room etc) the difference between Majik and Akurate amps is huge

Tin can telephone system.
2018-05-18, 09:39 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 09:41 by kelly200269.)
With Linn's current range of speakers, I think that a A6200 just wouldn't 'fit' with the range? Yes, you could use it to drive 109's Aktiv with a passive pre-amp, but Linn don't make them anymore. Or maybe with an ADSM, but with Exakt the whole landscape changes again and I think that's where Linn are definitely headed.
The whole reasoning behind a C6100 amp for a two-channel stereo system was to allow someone with a Majik DSM to step-up to Aktiv with 140's. But the Majik Exaktbox is now the much better option with an Exakt front-end.
I don't think something like an A6200 will ever see the light of day, with the potential market for it being so small.

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
2018-05-18, 11:32 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 11:34 by Briain.)
Personally, I would agree that 2 x 3 channel amps would be very cool for 3 way speakers, as that means you could - depending on the room layout - put each amp close to its speaker, thus reducing the quantity of unsightly speaker cables running across the floor; 3 interconnect cables are a lot easier to hide. I did something similar in my Active Isobariks (which had all the units brought out to pairs of sockets) then in my Klout/Keltik days, and in both cases, it made for a very tidy installation (in terms of both looks and sounds).

What I think would be super-cool would be a new 5 channel Akurate grade amp for folks who want to use Exakt Akubariks with external Exakt boxes (and again, that means eliminating 5 runs of ugly speaker cable for each Akubarik) but whereas the new SMD pick and plant machines can indeed deal with the super tiniest of SMD components (0201 size), such tiny components are only suited to very low power applications (e.g. digital and control stages) as with them being so small, they cannot dissipate very much heat.

Within Akurate power amps, the 100W audio amp chips and surrounding Chakra transistors (so in an Akurate level amp, that will be 6 large power devices per channel, from memory) are relatively large and require clamped to heat sinks, so with the current layout, that's likely why 4 channels would be the limit (in terms of space and heat). Actually, there already aren't that many other SMD devices in the audio path as most of it is done by that big audio amp chip and the Chakra transistors (and there will be some low power stages to sense the music and thus enable it to lift from standby, so possibly some of these could be shrunk down, but it's possible there aren't that many of them and thus the resultant miniaturisation might not be as exciting as one might initially assume)?

So, if my assumption about the above is correct, the only way to do it would be to radically redesign the amp's interior layout to perhaps instead use 5 vertical boards and fancy internal heat sinking arrangements (and fancy airflow work, too) to manage the additional heat, but if such a trick is plausible, it might indeed make for a very nice unit (if possible to build sensibly, in terms of it not all melting at the first hint of a reggae album)! Of course, it also means another Akurate channel's worth of load on the existing Dynamik, but Dynamik's are relatively 'butch' power supplies, so maybe that would still all sound pretty good.

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADS/0 -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-05-18, 13:04
(2018-05-18 11:32)Briain Wrote:  Personally, I would agree that 2 x 3 channel amps would be very cool for 3 way speakers, as that means you could - depending on the room layout - put each amp close to its speaker, thus reducing the quantity of unsightly speaker cables running across the floor; 3 interconnect cables are a lot easier to hide. Bri Smile

The Akurate 3200's already exist, but I think they are quite rare.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-05-18, 13:24
(2018-05-18 13:04)Tendaberry Wrote:  
(2018-05-18 11:32)Briain Wrote:  Personally, I would agree that 2 x 3 channel amps would be very cool for 3 way speakers, as that means you could - depending on the room layout - put each amp close to its speaker, thus reducing the quantity of unsightly speaker cables running across the floor; 3 interconnect cables are a lot easier to hide. Bri Smile

The Akurate 3200's already exist, but I think they are quite rare.

Yes, I do know that they exist, but as you say, I suspect that they are quite rare. Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADS/0 -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)