Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-05-21, 21:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / Linn Axis Newbie

Linn Axis Newbie
2018-05-18, 12:06 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 13:40 by sgt pepper.)
Shy Linn Axis Newbie
I should be taking delivery of what looks a Linn Axis in great condition later today. As I am a relative newbie to the world of HiFi and Linn ownership, any advice or tips the good members here can give will be most appreciated.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-18, 12:29 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 12:30 by DavidHB.)
RE: Linn Axis Newbie
Every good wish for your new acquisition. Do you know what arm and cartridge are fitted?

IIRC, the power supply on the Axis stays 'live', even when the TT is not running. This is something to watch out for; get the deck properly installed and connected before you plug it into the mains. Others here can advise on the maintainability aspects of this feature.

The other standard piece of advice is that, if you are buying or acquiring the deck privately, it makes sense to have it checked over by a dealer at the earliest opportunity. The Axis is not an LP12, but it won't be in the first flush of youth either. If the belt hasn't been changed in a long while, that may be something to do. and a check (if only for safety purposes) on the power supply aforesaid would probably not go amiss, either. The dealer can also check the arm bearings and the state of the cartridge.

Most of all, enjoy.

David

Main system: [Basik/Basik+/K5/Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks
Second system: Kiko
2018-05-18, 13:10
(2018-05-18 12:29)DavidHB Wrote:  Every good wish for your new acquisition. Do you know what arm and cartridge are fitted?

IIRC, the power supply on the Axis stays 'live', even when the TT is not running. This is something to watch out for; get the deck properly installed and connected before you plug it into the mains. Others here can advise on the maintainability aspects of this feature.

The other standard piece of advice is that, if you are buying or acquiring the deck privately, it makes sense to have it checked over by a dealer at the earliest opportunity. The Axis is not an LP12, but it won't be in the first flush of youth either. If the belt hasn't been changed in a long while, that may be something to do. and a check (if only for safety purposes) on the power supply aforesaid would probably not go amiss, either. The dealer can also check the arm bearings and the state of the cartridge.

Most of all, enjoy.

David

Thanks for the advice David. It seems the deck was recently serviced with caps replaced, along with oil and belt.
The cartridge is a new AT95E.
2018-05-18, 13:16
That sounds good, now you just need to make sure that you have a proper place to put it, like a good rack or a wall shelf.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-05-18, 13:40
(2018-05-18 13:16)Tendaberry Wrote:  That sounds good, now you just need to make sure that you have a proper place to put it, like a good rack or a wall shelf.

I have a solid wood cabinet on a concrete floor.Smile
2018-05-18, 20:44
(2018-05-18 13:40)sgt pepper Wrote:  
(2018-05-18 13:16)Tendaberry Wrote:  That sounds good, now you just need to make sure that you have a proper place to put it, like a good rack or a wall shelf.

Knowing nothing about turntables, I could be completely wrong Big Grin but the Linn peeps always recommended something light and rigid for LP12's so maybe that applies to the Axis too. No harm in trying a few different things. Ikea Lack tables are cheap and allegedly ideal.
Enjoy your records! {I hate the modern trend of refering to them as 'vinyls' - ugh - that's that stuff they used to make bus seats out of!}

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2018-05-18, 20:56 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 21:00 by grimreaper46.)
(2018-05-18 20:44)phino Wrote:  

Knowing nothing about turntables, I could be completely wrong Big Grin but the Linn peeps always recommended something light and rigid for LP12's so maybe that applies to the Axis too. No harm in trying a few different things. Ikea Lack tables are cheap and allegedly ideal.
Enjoy your records! {I hate the modern trend of refering to them as 'vinyls' - ugh - that's that stuff they used to make bus seats out of!}

A record is:

a thing constituting a piece of evidence about the past, especially an account kept in writing or some other permanent form.

or

the sum of the past achievements or performance of a person, organization, or thing.

So maybe a Vinyl Record. Tongue

The AT95E is a very good MM cartridge.

As said, I think Linn would recommend the Axis to be on a light shelf or table.

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
2018-05-18, 21:02
(2018-05-18 20:56)grimreaper46 Wrote:  
(2018-05-18 20:44)phino Wrote:  

A record is:

a thing constituting a piece of evidence about the past, especially an account kept in writing or some other permanent form.

or

the sum of the past achievements or performance of a person, organization, or thing.

So maybe a Vinyl Record. Tongue

I've sat on many a bus in my youth, before they discovered 'cloth' and none of them had grooves, unless you count the fake leather look ones Smile

Shellac, that's where it was at, but even that wasn't as good as the ol' wax!

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2018-05-19, 10:52

Like Phino wrote, light but rigid is the best. A heavy wood cabinet is probably not the optimal place. What you could do is, put the board from a Tiger Paw wall shelf on spikes (I use Oehlbach mini cones ca. 8 mm high) on top of the cabinet. That would improve performance a great deal.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
Yesterday, 06:14
The arm is fitted with the AT95E but I was wondering if the Ortofon 530mkII that I also have would be better. I am reluctant to swap it out as I have had a bad experience in the past doing that.