Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-15, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / SonicTransporter i5 vs Synology DS918+ vs Mac Mini

SonicTransporter i5 vs Synology DS918+ vs Mac Mini
2018-05-18, 16:08 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-18 16:16 by Antonmb.)
SonicTransporter i5 vs Synology DS918+ vs Mac Mini
I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question, so let me know if it belongs elsewhere.
I’m currently running Minimserver on my Synology 412+ as my main music server feeding my DS players. I’m also trying Roon Server, which I’m running on my MacBook since the Synology doesn’t have the horsepower, but if I stay with Roon this isn’t a good solution, since it’s only connected via Wi-Fi and isn’t always on. The options I’m considering are to continue to use the 412+ and add a Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5, or add a Mac mini running headless, or replace the 412+ with a Synology 912+ with 8gb ram and 2x256 SSD drives (along with the 4 x 3 Tb storage drives from my current NAS). I’m leaning towards the one box solution, the 918+, but are there any trade offs in sound quality? Any thoughts?
Thanks for the feedback.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-20, 21:03
RE: SonicTransporter i5 vs Synology DS918+ vs Mac Mini
Soundwise there won't be a difference. But your better of with a sonic transporter or a mac mine cpu wise. In the past i did use a synology 411+ for my music collection. Currently i am using a mac mini i5 with an SDD onboard. Attached to the mac mini i am using a firewire lacie disk. This solution is faster and smoother for playing music but also with plex etc. The synology is retired and only used for backing up my music collection.
2018-05-21, 01:01
Thanks Mike. The Synology 912+ has a Quad-core 1.5GHz processor, and with 8gb ram two M.2 NVMe 2280 SSDs for 256gb of SSD storage, I would have thought that would be plenty of horsepower to run Roon, no? But you did answer my question re sound quality, you think there shouldn't be a difference. I was curious because I've read a lot from people touting the idea that the Sonictransporter, because it's strictly a dedicated server, doesn't suffer from noise from other actives a regular computer like the mac mini might, will have better sound. I guess if they're isolated via ethernet that shouldn't matter.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2018-05-21, 07:46
Hi Antomb i think you mean the DS918+ correct?, this nas is based on the Intel Celeron J3455. Your better of with a Intel Nuc, mac mini or Sonictransporter. If you have an mini lying around i would use that. Otherwise buy a intel nuc or Sonictransporter. As for the noise from the devices i did several test within my own network, different nas devices, nuc vs mini, different UTP cables etc to be honest i didn't hear any difference (maybe the Klimax DS is just that good). Go for an best device CPU and SDD wise this will bring smooth operation of Roon but also minim server (if you are using that) and will give you plenty head room to upsample everything to highest possible sample rate. Enjoy the music.
2018-05-21, 16:17
Thanks Mike. Yes, the 918+.

2018-05-21, 23:24 (This post was last modified: 2018-05-21 23:26 by Wat.)
I think you're much better off with Mac Mini or Intel NUC as they have the horsepower. build quality & support. I'm not fan of Synology & consider their NAS the single worst piece of computing equipment I've ever bought - when it went wrong, support was non-existant. It was also very poorly made with lots of flimsy plastic. Maybe I was just unlucky.

I use a Mac Mini with J River MC, but can easily use MinimServer, Roon or many other pieces of music playing software. It would be equally true of an Intel NUC.

In terms of sound quality I doubt there is any difference between them as they serve identical data to a Linn DS.

All the best, Wat

JR-MC24->Blu2-DAVE & K-LP12SE wired with Linn Silvers into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2018-05-22, 08:24
(2018-05-21 23:24)Wat Wrote:  Maybe I was just unlucky.
^^ This

Never had a problem with Synology in 7 years of usage. No failure. Nothing.

Music never sounded this good.