Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-18, 09:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Phono Stage Recommendation

Phono Stage Recommendation
2018-06-02, 16:33
Phono Stage Recommendation
Hello,

Looking add a phono stage to my system and would appreciate some views.

When I got my deck set-up just before xmas my dealer suggested phono stage was the obvious weak point and suggested a Rega. I was thinking of using an Amazon gift card I've got to go towards something.

Anyway my current set-up is:

LP12 (non Cirkus) with Basik arm and Ortofon Blue cartridge
Arcam Alpha 10/10P with internal phono stage

Would a Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Stage be appropriate for my system?

Thanks

Ian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-02, 16:43
RE: Phono Stage Recommendation
I bought a Cambridge Audio Duo on RSD. Am very pleased. They’re 50 quid cheaper in Richer Sounds.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-06-02, 17:59
What's the budget? If you are sticking with MM cartridges, the Lejonklou Gaio is a good dedicated phono stage developed with LP12s in mind, which you would not need to replace if you ever upgraded your amp and/or cartridge. But it is about £500, which may be more than you were intending to pay.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-06-02, 18:20 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-02 18:21 by Catweazle.)
I auditioned a Rega Brio R recently at a friend, and it played nicely with his Ortofon MM, like they love each other. Wink
From there one might extrapolate, that the separate Rega MM pre-amp might suit your system well, indeed.

As with any upgrade, finding a dealer who is willing to lend you a device to test-drive it at home is crucial.

Happy listening, CW
2018-06-02, 18:36
Thanks folks. I had £200 in mind unless there is a really compelling reason to pay more. Suspect next chunk of money will Cirkus and that will be couple of years yet.

Sounds like the Rega would fit my system well so will probably go for that, unless there is an obvious alternative I'm overlooking. Graham Slee Gram seems to get mentioned a bit in this price bracket, but not sure that it's more compelling than the Rega?
2018-06-03, 23:34 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-03 23:37 by mickdale.)
theres an interesting video on youtube from an independent hifi enthusiast who has compared a lot of phono stages.

he believes the shiit mani is superior to the more expensive arcam rphono and graham slee in mm mode.....

ive also got the ortofon blue cartridge and for the low price have just ordered a schiit mani phono stage out of curiosity.

Was also wondering if its worth trying an ortofon black cartridge as another upgrade.
2018-06-04, 22:29
Well the Rega Fono arrived this afternoon. First couple of hours I was convinced it was going back as no noticeable improvement over the Arcam, but seems to be just improving with every record now.
2018-06-04, 23:21 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-04 23:23 by Hamstall.)
The phono input in the Arcam Alpha is very decent indeed. You'll need to spend good money to beat it. The Rega Fono is very good, but nip back to the internal stage and see if you're just hearing things you think you want to hear.

Buy some records or Cirkus your LP12.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH.
LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak,
'75 Red Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'73 Red Rocker LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II.
'73 Twin-Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'71 Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-06-05, 06:35
(2018-06-04 23:21)Hamstall Wrote:  The phono input in the Arcam Alpha is very decent indeed. You'll need to spend good money to beat it. The Rega Fono is very good, but nip back to the internal stage and see if you're just hearing things you think you want to hear. Buy some records or Cirkus your LP12.

Agree 100%.

I think you’d need a stage like a Croft to improve on what you have, which is way out of budget & not the first upgrade I’d do with your system. Circus would be where I’d go or enjoy what you have.

JR-MC24->Blu2-DAVE & K-LP12SE wired with Linn Silvers into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2018-06-05, 09:30
(2018-06-02 16:33)orangefender Wrote:  ...

Anyway my current set-up is:

LP12 (non Cirkus) with Basik arm and Ortofon Blue cartridge
Arcam Alpha 10/10P with internal phono stage

Would a Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Stage be appropriate for my system?

Thanks

Ian
No it would not.

It would be a mostly lateral move with a mild change in sonic signature to your Arcam. A difference in flavour if you will.

The reason I say it would not be appropriate is because it will end up diverting funds that could otherwise be saved and spent on getting a cirKus upgrade sooner than two years rather than wait for two years. The bearing is the weakest link in your setup and improvements there will yield better ROI as well.

Also by then there’s will definitely be more entry level phono stages with the added bonus of having A/D and USB out to rip vinyl, possibly even an iteration of the very stage you are looking at now. I would avoid getting any entry/low-mid level stages at the moment simply because there will be a bit of flux in that arena.

Hang on to your cash, buy a record or two, and don’t get caught up in an endless quest just because you have a bit saved up. Aim far and hit the target...however long it takes. It'll be more economical and satisfying along the way.

My $0.02. Any change gladly accepted.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.