Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Lacklustre performance

Lacklustre performance
2018-06-07, 21:01
Lacklustre performance
Hi Gents
My current system is elderly these days Sondek, Akito, ATF-7 MC, Naim 92-90 Dynaudio Audience 40 bookshelf speakers attached with Chord co Rumour 2 cable. The deck is set up, new belt, recent service and cart less than 20 hrs on it. The sound for the music I listen to is far too smooth, zero excitement and if I had some other means of playing my record collection I would. I just get no enjoyment while listening. Any idea what can be causing this total lack of drive from my vinyl. It's almost works bonus time and if anything needs replacing I shall chop it and get something new in.
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-07, 21:12 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-08 08:35 by pdcman.)
RE: Lacklustre performance
Has it always been like this, or just since your recent service? Akito/AT-F7 is a good match.
It also strikes me that your speakers take some driving, is the 90 up to the task I wonder?
2018-06-07, 21:41
It's been like this since I started collecting Soul records again which was a passion of mine in the 70's and 80's. I could change the speakers easily enough. Any suggestions?
2018-06-07, 22:26
(2018-06-07 21:01)drawboy Wrote:  Hi Gents
My current system is elderly these days Sondek, Akito, ATF-7 MC, Naim 92-90 Dynaudio Audience 40 bookshelf speakers attached with Chord co Rumour 2 cable. The deck is set up, new belt, recent service and cart less than 20 hrs on it. The sound for the music I listen to is far too smooth, zero excitement and if I had some other means of playing my record collection I would. I just get no enjoyment while listening. Any idea what can be causing this total lack of drive from my vinyl. It's almost works bonus time and if anything needs replacing I shall chop it and get something new in.
Thanks
I'll speak from experience here. It's not the LP 12 per se - that source can be upgraded in lots of different ways. The Audio Technica cartridge is a good basic cartridge but you can get tons more tonal color and density from a slew of cartridges - Dynavectors come to mind. Personally, I had a Naim Nait 2 and loved it. Seeking more, I upgraded to a Naim 90/72 and thought the music lost all color and involvement. Local dealer lent me a low powered EL 34 amp and it was a revelation. Ultimately went with a higher powered hybrid and music immediately became richer and more colorful and more human. The Naim electronics flatten sound and think sharp transient response or PRAT is everything. It's a faulty strategy. Music needs soul and Naim electronics lack it in my opinion. Just my thoughts but borrow a different amp and tell us your thoughts.
2018-06-07, 23:53
Whilst I would expect a newly serviced LP12 to show its potential straight away, just 20 hours on the cartridge might be a bit soon to make a judgement. Get another 20/30 hours use.
How about housekeeping? Have you made remade all the connections a couple of times. What is the turntable placed on?
Do you use a record cleaner?
On the Naim forum there is regular advice about getting the amp recapped.
+1 for a valve amp...
2018-06-08, 00:58
Your speakers are not up to the level of the rest of your system. After checking whether you table is OK, that's your next move.

Best,

John Hirsch
2018-06-08, 02:38 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-08 02:39 by LD100.)
(2018-06-07 21:12)pdcman Wrote:  Has it also been like this, or just since your recent service?
It also strikes me that your speakers take some driving, is the 90 up to the task I wonder?

+1

You have a 30 watt per channel amp driving 4 ohm speakers that have a sensitivity rating of 86db.

The power handling rating for those speakers is 150 watts, so it would be your choice...a higher power amp or more efficient speakers.

Personally, for Soul albums, I would go with a more powerful amp, but that's just me.Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-06-08, 03:18
(2018-06-07 21:01)drawboy Wrote:  Hi Gents
Thanks

I wonder, why nobody questions the Sondek?

Is it an entry level of Sondek? Pre-cirkus, Basik or Valhalla?

I do not expect that Sondek sounds like many other Sondek being upgraded to cirkus, Lingo, Kore...etc. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-06-08, 03:27
(2018-06-08 03:18)Edmund Wrote:  I wonder, why nobody questions the Sondek?

I do not expect that Sondek sounds like many other Sondek being upgraded to cirkus, Lingo, Kore...etc. Big Grin

Because the Sondek is the constant in the equation...it always sounds good!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-06-08, 03:39
(2018-06-08 03:27)LD100 Wrote:  
(2018-06-08 03:18)Edmund Wrote:  I wonder, why nobody questions the Sondek?

Because the Sondek is the constant in the equation...it always sounds good!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

If a Naim fanatic sees this, his constant was Naim, the problem will never be solved. What else to blame? Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user