Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / plinth out of true

plinth out of true
2018-06-10, 00:37
plinth out of true
ive got an old 1982 LP12.
I have recently had it serviced and all was well. I transported it home in the linn box.
when trying to set it up at home I put a fine engineers spirit level across all four sides of the plinth. It was out.
I worked out to get it true on the top sides, I would need to raise 2 corners 0.5mm and one corner 1mm.
I cut up an oyster card (like a credit card but slightly thinner and no raised areas) into squares, put one under two corners and two under the third corner leaving one without. I pressed down on the each of the opposite corners and heard a slight sound.
Now it sits perfectly flat.
The only explanation I can come up with is it was very tight in the polystyrene linn box and I may have inadvertedly pulled it out of square getting it out.
The old plinths don't have the corner bracing but mine looks to be in good condition (uk based).

Million dollar question - I'm probably going to get a circus kit and possibly a kore kit fitted, should I get a new plinth instead?
(I adore the existing grain, flutes, colour and patina on my plinth and it has much sentimental value)

any advice greatly appreciated
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-10, 01:16
RE: plinth out of true
Hi,

A 1982 plinth does not have the braced corners and go out of true. Check for separated corner joints, you may need to glue them back into position.

Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Dem Seminar" Alumni
Main: AK-0/ADS-0/2250/AV5125/AV5140s/Rythmik Audio F12SE Sub/Furman Elite 15i PF Linear Filter
Cave: LP12/Ittok LVII/Clearaudio Concept v2/Lingo/Sonos ZP90/PS Audio DLIII DAC/NAC72/Avondale TPX1/NAP140/Katans
Spares: 2250/Cyrus One/Rega Kytes
2018-06-10, 09:00
Plinth is probably slightly warped and you might benefit from a new one. I don't think transporting it in the box would be causing this. Rather old age. Trying to straighten out a warped plinth, joining braces with glue is probably better left to an expert.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2018-06-10, 09:02
thanks

I know its probably sacrilege but with the deck now level again, could I get corner bracing fitted?
2018-06-10, 10:02 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-10 10:03 by moomintroll.)
(2018-06-10 09:02)mickdale Wrote:  thanks

I know its probably sacrilege but with the deck now level again, could I get corner bracing fitted?

Not without taking it apart to route the pockets and it would probably cost close to the price of a new one. However, you could add the corner metal brackets that current models have.

‘troll
2018-06-10, 10:06
What's important is that the 'playing mechanics' are all level, rather than the plinth. Interestingly, the 'plane of the 'playing mechanics' will vary with the weight of the record [and with the age of the trampolin, as the rubber at the arm pillar end tends to stretch].

'The grocer told me what you do with bread'
2018-06-10, 18:47
Many years ago I had a beautiful Rosewood go out of true and in the end I sold it on. The new owner knew it was not dead flat but was happy as it would still outperform anything at the same cost. Sorry but the only real alternative is a full replacement but there again thats a fabulous adventure to have with all the various makes and woods available.

Majik DS, Inneos CD ripper, Simon Price Oak LP12, Black Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Dynavector 20X2L, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x4 LK100 power amps, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II.
2018-06-10, 22:55
Back in 1982 the deck was just out of the era of being available as chassis only. Plinths were not considered as important as we know they are now, and it could well have been out of true from new.

Either live with it and treat it as a period pice or replace the plinth.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-06-11, 05:56
Hi Mickdale,

If you decide on a replacement plinth and don't have money to burn the following might be a good option,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LINN-SONDEK-...1438.l2649

Certainly seems to be good value for money compared to some that are offered around.
2018-06-11, 07:01
(2018-06-11 05:56)linn_and_imf Wrote:  Hi Mickdale,

If you decide on a replacement plinth and don't have money to burn the following might be a good option,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LINN-SONDEK-...1438.l2649

Certainly seems to be good value for money compared to some that are offered around.

I'd agree. They look OK. They cannot be worse than a racking 1970s one, and the finishes look good. If they turn out to be below par you can send it back. Very cheap, but labour rates in Spain are amongst the lowest in Europe.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH. LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak, LP12/Grace G707/Supex900 Super. 1973 LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II. Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.