Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Plinth Restoration

Plinth Restoration
2018-06-10, 13:10
Plinth Restoration
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum and have just inherited a serial number 15757 deck which is in very nice condition and after a service and a few tweaks will hopefully end up being a very nice unit.
I have used the search function but cant seem to find any info on my query.
I would like to bring the plinth up to something less tired looking and was wondering if anyone could advise what coating if any were used on the fluted plinth (not sure if it is the afromosia plinth). There are a few areas that have light scuffs and i'm not sure if they require light sanding back and then recoating with.....???, or if any existing coating requires removal first prior to undertaking out initial work.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Regards, Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-10, 13:32 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-10 13:36 by ContinentaltypeR.)
RE: Plinth Restoration
(2018-06-10 13:10)ozfifer Wrote:  Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum and have just inherited a serial number 15757 deck which is in very nice condition and after a service and a few tweaks will hopefully end up being a very nice unit.
I would like to bring the plinth up to something less tired looking and was wondering if anyone could advise what coating if any were used on the fluted plinth (not sure if it is the afromosia plinth). There are a few areas that have light scuffs and i'm not sure if they require light sanding back and then recoating with.....???, or if any existing coating requires removal first prior to undertaking out initial work.
Thank you
Regards, Tom

I used to have a fluted walnut plinth and the finish got scratched. The scratch was just in the surface layer. Rather than try and match the lacquer finish I got my friendly local linn dealer to disassemble the deck. I then took the plinth to a furniture restorer who removed the lacquer with Nitromors. He cleaned the plinth and sanded it to a fine finish. He then coated it with French polish and gave it a waxing. The result looked superb and brought out the red colouring of the walnut. The dealer then reassembled the deck.

I was very happy with the quality of the work. I don't know if this procedure is suitable for afromosia. You may get other replies offering different advice.
2018-06-10, 13:51
(2018-06-10 13:32)ContinentaltypeR Wrote:  
Thank you
Regards, Tom

I used to have a fluted walnut plinth and the finish got scratched. The scratch was just in the surface layer. Rather than try and match the lacquer finish I got my friendly local linn dealer to disassemble the deck. I then took the plinth to a furniture restorer who removed the lacquer with Nitromors. He cleaned the plinth and sanded it to a fine finish. He then coated it with French polish and gave it a waxing. The result looked superb and brought out the red colouring of the walnut. The dealer then reassembled the deck.

I was very happy with the quality of the work. I don't know if this procedure is suitable for afromosia. You may get other replies offering different advice.
Hi, thanks for the response. Thats option 1.

cheers Tom
2018-06-11, 06:05 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-11 06:06 by linn_and_imf.)
Hi Ozfifer

All the Linn plinths can be easily reworked as they are made of solid timber thus there's no problem with accidentally going through the veneer and exposing particle board underneath like how many others are made.

There's plenty of Youtube videos of timber refinishing available so don't be disenchanted and if you've got the right attitude you'll be amazed at what can be achieved.

I'm currently refinishing a set of neglected Celestion SL6 speakers and with all going well at this stage they'll look as good as new when completed.

Cheers.
2018-06-11, 09:52
(2018-06-11 06:05)linn_and_imf Wrote:  Hi Ozfifer

All the Linn plinths can be easily reworked as they are made of solid timber thus there's no problem with accidentally going through the veneer and exposing particle board underneath like how many others are made.

There's plenty of Youtube videos of timber refinishing available so don't be disenchanted and if you've got the right attitude you'll be amazed at what can be achieved.

I'm currently refinishing a set of neglected Celestion SL6 speakers and with all going well at this stage they'll look as good as new when completed.

Cheers.
Thank you very much for your reply. Ill you tube it and see what comes up.
cheers Tom
2018-06-11, 13:43 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-11 13:44 by Peer Gynt.)

I think that that S/N is low enough to be one of the so-called “picture frame” plinths.

It can be refinished, but if you’re paying some one to do the R&R and restoration, my view is that you’d be better off just replacing it with a current model from Linn, or one of the good aftermarket options. A good dealer’s advice may keep you from wasting your money.

The picture frame plinths lack corner bracing. Corner bracing provides structural integrity for the foundation of the turntable.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2018-06-11, 14:57 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-11 15:00 by john and Jake the dog.)
(2018-06-11 13:43)Peer Gynt Wrote:  

I think that that S/N is low enough to be one of the so-called “picture frame” plinths.

It can be refinished, but if you’re paying some one to do the R&R and restoration, my view is that you’d be better off just replacing it with a current model from Linn, or one of the good aftermarket options. A good dealer’s advice may keep you from wasting your money.

The picture frame plinths lack corner bracing. Corner bracing provides structural integrity for the foundation of the turntable.

Hi, I'm not sure about the need for corner braces, the plinth isn't subject to any forces as far as I can see. If the mitres are still intact then I don't see why it can't perform as it should for years to come.

Hi, depending on the severity of the scuffs, Danish oil wiped on and buffed off does a good job.

Any pics for better advice.?

Fluted Lp12 Valhalla, Cirkus, Michell Techno A, Goldring 2100, Elliot Sounds Phono pre, Marantz cd6006, Moth Passive pre-amp, 3 x LK100. Active Kabers, (Scanspeak D2008 tweeters). DIY Ikea coffee table rack.
2018-06-11, 17:18
Would not regular furniture polish refresh a fluted afromosia plinth?

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, Linn Classik Music+Unik, [KDSM/R + LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2018-06-12, 09:30
Thanks for all the replies guys.It was relatively easy and painless.
Got some ultra fine steel wool, then coated with Feast Watson brand of orange oil now its looking brand spankin.
Thanks again
cheers Tom
2018-06-12, 11:12
(2018-06-12 09:30)ozfifer Wrote:  Thanks for all the replies guys.It was relatively easy and painless.
Got some ultra fine steel wool, then coated with Feast Watson brand of orange oil now its looking brand spankin.
Thanks again
cheers Tom

I'm glad that you're happy.