Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-18, 09:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / low ride cartridge harm?

low ride cartridge harm?
2018-06-10, 20:23
low ride cartridge harm?
Hi.
If a Kandid cartridge, with Ekos SE and well set up LP12,
looks like the cartridge/stylus is riding low, too close to the record,
will there be harm to the record?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-11, 22:04
RE: low ride cartridge harm?
Why is it so low? It is set up ok? I presume it is and has now become low? If thats the case I wouldn't use it as it wont follow the groove and most probably will damage your records. I had a brand new cartridge that collapsed internally and suddenly sounded very muffled so off it came very quickly. It did damage the record, a Barbara Streisand album that I had to replace. I don't know your cartridge so not sure how low it is when normal.

Majik DS, Inneos CD ripper, Simon Price Oak LP12, Black Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Dynavector 20X2L, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x4 LK100 power amps, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II.
2018-06-11, 23:31 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-11 23:32 by nopiano.)
Yes, if it is closer to the record than normal, the stylus and cantilever won’t be at the correct angle. The sound will suffer and record damage is possible depending on how extreme the problem.

Have you checked the tracking weight?

Sneaky Music DS, Michell/Rega/Grado, Primare I32 amp, Marantz SA14s1 SE SACD player, ATC SCM40 speakers. (Once owned LP12/Syrinx PU3/Goldring Electro lz.)
2018-06-12, 03:17
yes, I figured there could be damage to a record.
Time to replace it.
Thanks guys.
2018-06-13, 14:33 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-13 14:34 by Glyn Ruck.)
As the cantilever sags from the correct position the SRA goes out requiring you to raise the arm pillar to correct.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12505]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2018-06-13, 17:33
... thank you Glyn, for the info and diagram.
The diagram is very helpful to vision and understand what is going on.
Quite fascinating to me.
Do many, all, some, cantilevers begin to sag over their lifespan (before the stylus is finished)?
The cartridge, in this case, is a Kandid.
2018-06-13, 17:49
No they don't. It depends on the elastomer chosen for the suspension & it's consistency both initially & over time.
2018-06-13, 18:28
It shouldn't sag unless mishandled or defective, IMO - no Kandid is old enough for the suspension to have collapsed from age I wouldn't think.
2018-06-16, 18:29
(2018-06-13 18:28)ricsimas Wrote:  It shouldn't sag unless mishandled or defective, IMO - no Kandid is old enough for the suspension to have collapsed from age I wouldn't think.

And yet from the number of threads on this forum about it, it seems alarmingly common in Kandids and even Krystals...
2018-06-16, 18:38
(2018-06-16 18:29)Hartley_hare Wrote:  
(2018-06-13 18:28)ricsimas Wrote:  It shouldn't sag unless mishandled or defective, IMO - no Kandid is old enough for the suspension to have collapsed from age I wouldn't think.

And yet from the number of threads on this forum about it, it seems alarmingly common in Kandids and even Krystals...

The Kandids just ride low. The Krystals sometimes take it a step further.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...