Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Thinking of changing KK and Sneaky for ADSM/1

Thinking of changing KK and Sneaky for ADSM/1
2018-06-11, 19:09
Thinking of changing KK and Sneaky for ADSM/1
Having bought a Sneaky recently and hugely enjoying Tidal, I’m thinking of buying a used ADSM/1 with exact links. That would allow me to improve streaming quality (I hope) and provide a path for possibly going Urika II and Radikal. But my concern is that vinyl would suffer by using an Akurate pre rather than the KK. Or should I save my pennies and get a used klimax ds. Any thoughts?

LP12(Akito/Kore/Lingo 4/Klyde/Uphorik); Klimax Kontrol; Klimax 320As; Klimax DS/1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-11, 19:22
RE: Thinking of changing KK and Sneaky for ADSM/1
(2018-06-11 19:09)muffin Wrote:  Having bought a Sneaky recently and hugely enjoying Tidal, I’m thinking of buying a used ADSM/1 with exact links. That would allow me to improve streaming quality (I hope) and provide a path for possibly going Urika II and Radikal. But my concern is that vinyl would suffer by using an Akurate pre rather than the KK. Or should I save my pennies and get a used klimax ds. Any thoughts?

I think it's entirely possible that the quality you're currently getting from vinyl would be reduced with an ADSM/1.
If you are indeed able to stretch to a KDS (one with Exakt links, of course, so that's pretty much the most recent two versions) at some point, I think it would be a better choice.

Mick

Klimax LP12 * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2018-06-11, 21:46
(2018-06-11 19:22)mickc Wrote:  
(2018-06-11 19:09)muffin Wrote:  Having bought a Sneaky recently and hugely enjoying Tidal, I’m thinking of buying a used ADSM/1 with exact links. That would allow me to improve streaming quality (I hope) and provide a path for possibly going Urika II and Radikal. But my concern is that vinyl would suffer by using an Akurate pre rather than the KK. Or should I save my pennies and get a used klimax ds. Any thoughts?

I think it's entirely possible that the quality you're currently getting from vinyl would be reduced with an ADSM/1.
If you are indeed able to stretch to a KDS (one with Exakt links, of course, so that's pretty much the most recent two versions) at some point, I think it would be a better choice.

Mick
Thanks Mick, that loss of quality is what I was concerned about. I think short term I will try to source a used KDS/1 and, if funds ever permit, upgrade to exact links and katalyst. Its good fun putting it all together!

LP12(Akito/Kore/Lingo 4/Klyde/Uphorik); Klimax Kontrol; Klimax 320As; Klimax DS/1
2018-06-11, 22:05
(2018-06-11 21:46)muffin Wrote:  

Mick
Thanks Mick, that loss of quality is what I was concerned about. I think short term I will try to source a used KDS/1 and, if funds ever permit, upgrade to exact links and katalyst. Its good fun putting it all together!

See if you can find the very first KDS - the /0. It may well be cheaper than a later model and they can all be updated to the latest spec. for the same cost.

Mick

Klimax LP12 * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2018-06-11, 22:08
(2018-06-11 22:05)mickc Wrote:  
(2018-06-11 21:46)muffin Wrote:  

Mick

See if you can find the very first KDS - the /0. It may well be cheaper than a later model and they can all be updated to the latest spec. for the same cost.

Mick

Or Akurate ds katalyst which outperforms kds 0 and kds1