Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Keltik Prototype discovery , this pair could be the first one?

Keltik Prototype discovery , this pair could be the first one?
2018-06-12, 10:17
Keltik Prototype discovery , this pair could be the first one?
This could be the very first built Keltik speaker as a prototype .....

In search of potential spare parts to secure the future of my Celtics, I came across these speakers.

They sound fantastic, a bit different from my last series Keltik, maybe a little better.

It is noticeable that there is no label on the front. Rear there is no serial number or instructions about the builder.

It is very interesting to see how the Linn developers apparently tried to develop a passive version or something else.

These speakers were never intended for trading, according to my information. After a long request of the previous owner the keltiks were then sold by a Linn country representative. It is interesting that the first owner claims, that Ivor Tiefenbrun personally brought the speakers in the Netherlands himself.

For possible spare parts these Keltiks are of course a shame to me

[Image: 1.jpg.html]

[Image: 3.jpg.html]

[Image: 4.jpg.html]

[Image: 5.jpg.html]

[Image: img_1477.jpg.html]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-12, 10:23 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-12 10:27 by moehnecocker.)
RE: Keltik Prototype discovery , this pair could be the first one?
problems with pic upload.....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2018-06-12, 11:27
An interesting and possibly even precious find, I remember about one year ago I saw a pair of early Keltiks advertised in The Netherlands with passive crossovers - these may be the same pair...

So is it possible to drive these passively?
I would be very interested to hear how these sound, as a former Keltik/KXO owner
Big Grin

I agree a rare version as these are too special to tear down for parts only, considering they still work well.

Lejonklou | Klangedang | Graham Audio | OPPO | Harmonihyllan | NOKTable | Quadraspire

www.hexagonaudio.eu

#1 LP12/Keel/Ekos/Adikt - KDS3 - Oppo UDP-205 - Lejonklou Slipsik MM phono - Satagun Mono Preamps - Tundra Mono Poweramps - Klangedang T1 - Rel Stampede sub
#2 ADS1 - Boazu - Chartwell LS3/5
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-06-12, 11:39
(2018-06-12 11:27)mrco99 Wrote:  An interesting and possibly even precious find, I remember about one year ago I saw a pair of early Keltiks advertised in The Netherlands with passive crossovers - these may be the same pair...

I would be very interested to hear how these sound, as a former Keltik/KXO owner
Big Grin

I agree a rare version as these are too special to tear down for parts only, considering they still work well.

The backside has screws and is glued. So it is not easy to look inside. I don´t want to destroy something. Could be very cool, if they have internatal crossovers. Could also be, that linn removes the crossovers before selling.

I tried to get some information from helpline. They confirm me, that this pair could be a pre production pair, cause there is no serial and cause of the look of the backside this should be so.
2018-06-12, 11:46
(2018-06-12 11:27)mrco99 Wrote:  An interesting and possibly even precious find, I remember about one year ago I saw a pair of early Keltiks advertised in The Netherlands with passive crossovers - these may be the same pair...

Big Grin

They sound very good. Everything works fine. The have a 015/3 Tweeter upgrade. The difference to the last proctions are very small. Sometimes i thought they are better, but the prototype keltiks get for the test another position as my main keltik pair. this could have a big influence.
2018-06-13, 02:17
What’s the front baffle material made of? I recall reading somewhere the prototypes had a ceramic baffle, later replaced by a mineral impregnated polymer material.

LP12 + Cirkus + Tranquility + Lingo 2 + Ittok LVII + Troika + Linto • Acer Aspire One + Uptone ReGen + TeraDak U9 PS + Audiophilleo2 with PurePower + Numerik • Kremlin • Kairn 3 • Linn Blacks + Mogami 3173 • Slimline Aktiv Tunebox • 3x LK280 + 2x Spark • K600 • Aktiv Kabers + 038/2 tweeters.
2018-06-13, 03:00
Very interesting find. They're definitely old as they have the iron bases. I remember reading on the old Naim forum how the original Keltiks were designed with a cast ceramic baffle, which supposedly sounded incredible, but was scrapped for cost reasons.

LP12/Cirkus/Keel/Armageddon/Ekos/Akiva/Linto/Vibraplane; Akurate DS; Kisto; Kudos; Klouts (Recapped); Keltiks; Linn Black wiring loom; Shunyata Taipan power cords.
2018-06-13, 05:53
(2018-06-13 03:00)aero9k Wrote:  Very interesting find. They're definitely old as they have the iron bases. I remember reading on the old Naim forum how the original Keltiks were designed with a cast ceramic baffle, which supposedly sounded incredible, but was scrapped for cost reasons.

I have just checked the baffle. At first look, it looks the same like the "normal" Keltik Serie, but it seems to be stronger material from the inside. when you knock on them, it sounds different than the new keltiks. When knocking on the new Keltiks, the ending sounds very hollow. The baffle of the prototype Keltiks sound much darker. Seems to be a pottery inside or to have another better or heavier material like ceramic.