Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-18, 09:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / Exakt DSM with passive speakers

Exakt DSM with passive speakers
2018-06-13, 11:15
Exakt DSM with passive speakers
Is it possible to run Exakt DSM (the one lacking analogue outputs) with a set of passive speakers (such as 320P)? Perhaps by using a pass-through option in Exaktbox or by connecting an Exaktbox Sub?

Does anybody have any experience with that?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-13, 11:52
RE: Exakt DSM with passive speakers
(2018-06-13 11:15)DoomHammer Wrote:  Is it possible to run Exakt DSM (the one lacking analogue outputs) with a set of passive speakers (such as 320P)? Perhaps by using a pass-through option in Exaktbox or by connecting an Exaktbox Sub?

Does anybody have any experience with that?

No you would have to use an exakt box.
Find all posts by this user
2018-06-13, 12:18
Yes, I understand the need for an Exaktbox. But is it possible to output unfiltered audio through it straight to the power amp and then passive speakers?
2018-06-13, 13:12 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-13 13:13 by Music at Home.)
For someone aiming for a target setup, but don't necessarily have sufficient amp channels, or even the right speakers, from a system building perspective, unfiltered, all-pass, Exaktbox outputs would be really useful. Gives you immediate access to Akurate or Klimax level DAC's and the opportunity to add amp-channels in stages without necessarily having sufficient to go fully active. As no measurements required, I would have thought this would be very straight forward to implement.

ADS/3 -> ATC SCM19A's
2018-06-13, 13:20
(2018-06-13 13:12)Music at Home Wrote:  For someone aiming for a target setup, but don't necessarily have sufficient amp channels, or even the right speakers, from a system building perspective, unfiltered, all-pass, Exaktbox outputs would be really useful. Gives you immediate access to Akurate or Klimax level DAC's and the opportunity to add amp-channels in stages without necessarily having sufficient to go fully active. As no measurements required, I would have thought this would be very straight forward to implement.

My point exactly Smile
2018-06-13, 14:25
Nice idea in theory, but I'm not sure the Exakt link outputs from a DSM are "unfiltered" data, such that they could be used as you suggest. I could well be, and probably am, totally wrong on that point though Wink

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-06-13, 14:42
(2018-06-13 14:25)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  Nice idea in theory, but I'm not sure the Exakt link outputs from a DSM are "unfiltered" data, such that they could be used as you suggest. I could well be, and probably am, totally wrong on that point though Wink

It's not the output from the Exakt link we are talking about. Even though this one is most certainly unfiltered. The interesting part is the RCA/XLR output from the relevant Exaktbox.
2018-06-13, 14:57 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-13 14:59 by timster (RadiatorCatHammock).)
(2018-06-13 14:42)DoomHammer Wrote:  
(2018-06-13 14:25)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  Nice idea in theory, but I'm not sure the Exakt link outputs from a DSM are "unfiltered" data, such that they could be used as you suggest. I could well be, and probably am, totally wrong on that point though Wink

It's not the output from the Exakt link we are talking about. Even though this one is most certainly unfiltered. The interesting part is the RCA/XLR output from the relevant Exaktbox.

The exakt link output is not necessarily unfiltered/"raw". It's proprietary to Linn what it actual contains and in what format, so it's not "most certainly" unfiltered.
All Exaktboxes will work from the inputs they get from the Exakt link output of the source DSM - so whatever comes out of the Exaktbox XLR/RCAs has come down the Exakt link first - whether it's processed but the Exakt engine or not, it will still be whatever the Exakt link output was.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-06-13, 14:59

The outputs from the exaktbox is divided into the relevant frequency bands for the defined aktiv speaker.
There is not a full frequency output from any given channel.
2018-06-13, 15:36
(2018-06-13 14:59)whizz Wrote:  

The outputs from the exaktbox is divided into the relevant frequency bands for the defined aktiv speaker.
There is not a full frequency output from any given channel.

And it's the same for subs, right?