Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-18, 09:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL

Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL
2018-06-13, 11:25
Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL
I'm still wondering about this (previous thread closed).

I know that the Kleos SL is the best v.f.m. option for someone with an old Kleos to trade in.

Price and v.f.m. aside, however, how do the carts compare? In particular via Urika II?

Anyone made this comparison?

I'm guessing a trip to Cymbiosis may be the only way to find out first hand.

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika II, Keel, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Kat Exakt Akubariks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-13, 23:47 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-13 23:47 by djh1697.)
RE: Linn Kandid vs Lyra Kleos SL
(2018-06-13 11:25)vincent Wrote:  I'm guessing a trip to Cymbiosis may be the only way to find out first hand.

Whilst reading your post I was thinking Dr Peter would be able to help, I agree Dr Peter is the answer, no doubt he could advise on other upgrades too
2018-06-14, 09:29
I’m assuming they sound similar as Kandid is made by Lyra but voiced to Linn requirements.

An interesting demo nonetheless.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Why did you opt for the Kleos in your existing system instead of Kandid?

Klimax LP12 (Cirkus, Tranquility, Radikal D, Keel, Urika, Khan top plate, Ekos SE, Kandid). Klimax Renew DS. KK D, Solos D. 242 mk 2 with upgraded stands. Project RCM
2018-06-14, 09:56
(2018-06-14 09:29)Ian Wilkinson Wrote:  Why did you opt for the Kleos in your existing system instead of Kandid?

Hi Ian

At Cymbiosis in May 2014 we initially compared the DVXX2 and Lyra Delos. The Lyra Kleos was so much better than both that I thought it worth double my original budget of 1k. The dem finished with the Kandid, but I wasn't really listening by this stage as it was then unaffordable.

Full review at
https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=27010

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika II, Keel, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Kat Exakt Akubariks.
2018-06-14, 18:38 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-14 18:39 by Cymbiosis.)
Hello Vincent,

I recall we were chatting about this earlier in the year but the 3 hours+ journey to the shop was all a bit much given we are looking at a cartridge upgrade. Fair enough of course but reading this I realise I have a possible solution!

I will be looking after another client who is probably only half a mile away from you one day in the next 2-3 weeks my diary permitting so lease PM or email me when you have time.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-06-16, 23:02
Vincent - as you know from elsewhere, I did a 3 way shoot out a little while ago - the standard Lyra Kleos, Linn Kandid and Kleos SL all in Naim Aro arm tops used on the same deck, into a Uphorik. The rest of the system was Naim NAC552/552PS DR NAP500/500PS DR and Kudos Titan 808s.

I used to use a Kleos before, and I've assumed for the last couple of years, since aI bought my Krystal and Klimax Radikal, that my next cartridge was going to be the Kandid. It won't be, as in the Aro I prefer the Kleos SL. I will of course have to hear it through my Urika/Chord SSA (or perhaps better) to be certain, but I would be staggered if the Urika were not suitable.

It might be different with an Ekos SE and trade-in prices can be a significant factor, but with the Aro while the Kandid was clearly better than the standard Kleos, it lacked the detail, delicacy and flow of the SL, which was a touch more tuneful and enjoyable. The Kandid was great, but might be a little compromised by the wiring arrangements - my speculation. So, unless something unexpected happens, it's the Lyra Kleos SL next for me Smile

Having said that, I am not rushing to change as my current Krystal is performing wonderfully Cool

Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982
2018-06-17, 17:03
(2018-06-16 23:02)Red Chris Wrote:  ... with the Aro while the Kandid was clearly better than the standard Kleos, it lacked the detail, delicacy and flow of the SL, which was a touch more tuneful and enjoyable.

Thanks Chris, this is helpful. High praise indeed for SL version, which makes me wonder whether there is any scope for improving the Kandid in the same way ... unless the Kandid is already 'single layer' (I can't find any information on this in specification details on the Linn website)?

I'm assuming from your comments, and from your clear preference for the Kleos SL regardless of price, that there were no downsides, for example loss of energy or weight, or increased hum?

(2018-06-16 23:02)Red Chris Wrote:  The Kandid was great, but might be a little compromised by the wiring arrangements - my speculation.

This is certainly possible. The design synergy of the Kandid with the Ekos SE, and possible practical benefits, suggest that any A/B comparison should be in an Ekos (or in two otherwise identical Ekoses using the same deck, or two identical decks) rather than using two Aro tops.

Either way this makes the dem more difficult. Had I been prepared to commit to the Kleos SL without comparing to the Kandid, I would have taken up Peter's offer (post before yours).

2018-06-17, 20:13
Vincent - I think you need to hear for yourself, ideally at home. Would you be any happier to commit to the Kandid without comparing it to the Kleos SL?

Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982
2018-06-21, 11:32
(2018-06-17 20:13)Red Chris Wrote:  Would you be any happier to commit to the Kandid without comparing it to the Kleos SL?

In short, no (PM'd with details). I could have home-dem'd Kandid, but not Kleos SL. So if I'd liked the Kandid and bought one, I would never have known whether it was £1300 better than a Kleos SL. Instead I've committed to the Kleos SL without hearing it. Not an ideal way to choose a cart, but A/B comparison was not practically possible this time round, and I'm happy to take the risk Smile

2018-06-21, 17:56
(2018-06-21 11:32)vincent Wrote:  
(2018-06-17 20:13)Red Chris Wrote:  Would you be any happier to commit to the Kandid without comparing it to the Kleos SL?

In short, no (PM'd with details). I could have home-dem'd Kandid, but not Kleos SL. So if I'd liked the Kandid and bought one, I would never have known whether it was £1300 better than a Kleos SL. Instead I've committed to the Kleos SL without hearing it. Not an ideal way to choose a cart, but A/B comparison was not practically possible this time round, and I'm happy to take the risk Smile

Lyra pricing seems quite a bit nicer in the U.K. compared to the US.

I made inquiries about the SL version in the US and was told they’re all custom order here. It supposedly takes our importer several months to get the SL version from Japan.

They also mumbled something about preamp compatibility. It was clear that they were steering US based customers to the regular Kleos. I’m looking forward to your report.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...