Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Nas problem and question, please help!

Nas problem and question, please help!
2018-06-14, 01:39
Nas problem and question, please help!
I am not tech savvy. I have been using a Qnap HS210 for 3-4 years without much problem, however, in the last week, although the DS plays normally, the Nas' led started to flash red instead of a constant green, and I noticed I could only access one drive. By calling qnap support they ran a remote test and found both drives could be bad, and suggested me to replace one at first and see how it goes, and it it does not go well I may end up replacing the whole unit.

I am surprised that I may need to replace both WD red drives, and maybe the nas unit too after using them for only 3- 4 years. Also, I did a little research, I noticed they do not make the slim Qnap nas like mine anymore. I am not sure if it is a good idea to continue using the HS210. Should I go for something new? Also, I noticed there are now several models of 1 bay nas drive---at very reasonable price---with cloud back up, are they any good? Do they work well with Linn DS? By the way, I do not mind backing up an additional copy of my music on a separate external drive which I have already done, just wonder if it is a good idea or not to go with a 1 bay nas drive. I would appreciate your input and suggestion of what to do.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-14, 06:20
RE: Nas problem and question, please help!
I’ve been using one bay QNAPs all the time and backing up to a couple of external disks regularly. The disks are stored at my work and my better half’s work. I haven’t seen the one bay NAS as a limitation. The backup scheme is simple and safe, as long as I remember to bring the disks home every now and then.

/HansBertil

PS. If you are opting for running Roon on the NAS, make sure the CPU is of the right kind.
2018-06-14, 07:51
(2018-06-14 01:39)Steet Wrote:  I am not tech savvy. I have been using a Qnap HS210 for 3-4 years without much problem, however, in the last week, although the DS plays normally, the Nas' led started to flash red instead of a constant green, and I noticed I could only access one drive. By calling qnap support they ran a remote test and found both drives could be bad, and suggested me to replace one at first and see how it goes, and it it does not go well I may end up replacing the whole unit.

I am surprised that I may need to replace both WD red drives, and maybe the nas unit too after using them for only 3- 4 years. Also, I did a little research, I noticed they do not make the slim Qnap nas like mine anymore. I am not sure if it is a good idea to continue using the HS210. Should I go for something new? Also, I noticed there are now several models of 1 bay nas drive---at very reasonable price---with cloud back up, are they any good? Do they work well with Linn DS? By the way, I do not mind backing up an additional copy of my music on a separate external drive which I have already done, just wonder if it is a good idea or not to go with a 1 bay nas drive. I would appreciate your input and suggestion of what to do.

As long as you have backups it shouldn't be too hard to replace the drive(s). It would be surprising for both to be bad though. What does the Dashboard tell you?

If you do need to replace the NAS (also unlikely), there is the HS-251+ slimline NAs. I don't believe that has been discontinued. And it does handle Roon, as long as your library isn't too big and you use an external SSD for it.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-06-14, 07:55
I own a HS-251, seems to be the successor and that line is still offered by QNAP (251+).

Mine is working perfectly, must also be about three years by now. I have SSDs installed though and I am very happy with the system.

So I don‘t think it is the design. I would backup the music, reformat the WD drives and reinstall them.

BY
2018-06-14, 11:54
Are you running HDD SMART tests (either quick or complete) on your NAS drives?

Flashing RED light indicates that something is amiss (obviously) - if QNAP has tested your disks remotely then it could possibly be physical defects on the drives. Did you buy both disks from the same source at the same time - a bad batch possibly??

Are you using RAID at all - if you are then its very easy to do a hot swap when replacing a drive.

Unidisk SC || LP12 | Kore | Akito/Adikt | Trampolin 2 | Lingo 4.
Akurate DSM/2 | Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox 10 | 2 x Akurate 4200/1 | Exakt dual-mono Keilidhs
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | IQAudio Pi-DAC+ | Audiolab 8000A | AR28s.
2018-06-14, 20:24
its rather a HDD lifetime issue than an Qnap issue. I am with Donald - might be a bad batch of the HDD‘s.
If reformating doesnt help than start with one SSD (or two if money is no problem) - they are save and dont do the spinning and data access noise.
2018-06-16, 02:32
(2018-06-14 11:54)Donald Wrote:  Are you running HDD SMART tests (either quick or complete) on your NAS drives?

Flashing RED light indicates that something is amiss (obviously) - if QNAP has tested your disks remotely then it could possibly be physical defects on the drives. Did you buy both disks from the same source at the same time - a bad batch possibly??

Are you using RAID at all - if you are then its very easy to do a hot swap when replacing a drive.

I purchased both WD Red disks new at the same time with the QNAP about 4 years ago, and I have been using RAID config. Currently, I can still access my files stored on both disks, and the DS plays normally, just the red light on the QNAP kept flashing, and the test conducted by QNAP remotely showed both disks had errors.

I may take QNAP's tech support's recommendation to replace one disk first to make sure the nas would rebuild ok, and if so get two new disks eventually. I am also considering upgrading to SSDs this time around. However, switching to SSD is expensive, especially if I need two. Is SSD generally more reliable and last much longer? Also, because of cost, and not knowing for sure if my current nas is ok and how much longer it would last, my other option is getting a newer 1bay nas with one SSD, and use cloud and other external drives for back up. Just want to learn the plus and negative before making decision.

Also, for a 2TB or larger SSD, is there any particular recommendation as to brand and model?
2018-06-16, 02:51
(2018-06-14 20:24)Defender Wrote:  its rather a HDD lifetime issue than an Qnap issue. I am with Donald - might be a bad batch of the HDD‘s.
If reformating doesnt help than start with one SSD (or two if money is no problem) - they are save and dont do the spinning and data access noise.

I would love to switch to SSD, if only for reduced noise. The longer lifespan would be a big plus too. I looked at the Amazon marketplace, there are many different brands and models of SSD at different specifications, and very different prices. Not tech savvy, I am not sure how to choose. Any recommendation? Also, is there a sweet spot for price/capacity?
2018-06-16, 06:14
I have concerns about SSDs. Not performance or speed, they are far superior. But longevity. I believe time-to-fail is still below HDDs.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-06-16, 07:05
HD failure after 3-4 years is not uncommon. This is exactly the case why you run a RAID-system. All HDs fail the question is just when. The NAS works perfectly in noticing you that the drives are developing a problem and will fail soon.

Proper protocol when a NAS detects imminent HD failure is as follows: make a external backup if you don’t have one. Buy two identical new drives, swap the first one out, initiate rebuild. Then swap the second one and initiate rebuild again. Do another backup, preferably on a different external drive.

SSDs are still very expensive compared to HDs. Longivty depends on write intensity which is low in this application: you essentially write once when putting your library in place. All other changes when adding music etc are negligible over the lifetime of a SSD.

A single-bay NAS has the disadvantage that essentially it pushes the responsibility to protect against drive-failure on you. You have to make external backups, be it in the cloud or via external disks. In case of failure the cloud storage may not be available or slow or out of date due to network downtime. Same for your external disk: forgot to backup recently - out of luck.

A two-bay NAS inherently protects against these failure modes. Combined with external backups and/or cloud backup puts you in a pretty safe place.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Kaber - Chakra active cards - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime & a Kudos tuner.