Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-23, 16:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Do I have a ghost??

Do I have a ghost??
2018-06-14, 09:53
Do I have a ghost??
Morning...
At three o'clock this morning my wife woke me to say there was some loud church organ music coming from downstairs.
It was quite scary in a gothic sort of way as I became conscious. I then remembered that I had been playing some Buxtehude - so I could account for the church organ.

But what caused my DS/3 to come on? A jolt from a mains outage would have deleted the playlist, I would have thought.

Our house is 200 years old and a ghost has been seen here. Normally causes no problems. Anyone got any better ideas?

Perplexed of York....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-14, 09:59
RE: Do I have a ghost??
So you have Autoplay on and startup source set to playlist.
All it wold take is a wayward IR signal getting in from somewhere. The Power code is the same as my marantz, so it could have been anyone/anything if they were close enough.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | Majik ExaktBox-I [on Custom Design iRAPs] | Majik 140, REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo [Linx1010]

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-06-14, 11:50
(2018-06-14 09:59)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  So you have Autoplay on and startup source set to playlist.
All it wold take is a wayward IR signal getting in from somewhere. The Power code is the same as my marantz, so it could have been anyone/anything if they were close enough.

So, timster, if not a ghost it could have been a UFO!
2018-06-14, 13:49
Do you have auto-play switched on though? Otherwise you'd have to have startup source set as playlist and the ds received a Play command via IR.
Do you have a cat or dog that might've sat on the remote, or given it a good old gnaw? Smile

Other than that maybe your wifi or network has been compromised - but if it were that I'd expect the intruder to do something more impressive than just set the current playlist playing?!

Finally have you got Davaar 63 - there are all sorts of things you can schedule the Ds to do with Linn Labs and ifttt. You need to be signed up, logged in and your Ds connected to the cloud for any of it to do anything, but who knows what little foibles might be present in the initial release???

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
Find all posts by this user
2018-06-14, 14:48
Wink RE: Do I have a ghost??
I had this once, when I had an IP address conflict on the network. I keep hearing short bursts of music after going to bed, thinking it was the noisy neighbours. Then I realised it was the DS playing short bursts of "Gay Bar" by Electric 6!

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2018-06-14, 15:51
(2018-06-14 13:49)phino Wrote:  Do you have auto-play switched on though? Otherwise you'd have to have startup source set as playlist and the ds received a Play command via IR.
Do you have a cat or dog that might've sat on the remote, or given it a good old gnaw? Smile

Other than that maybe your wifi or network has been compromised - but if it were that I'd expect the intruder to do something more impressive than just set the current playlist playing?!

Finally have you got Davaar 63 - there are all sorts of things you can schedule the Ds to do with Linn Labs and ifttt. You need to be signed up, logged in and your Ds connected to the cloud for any of it to do anything, but who knows what little foibles might be present in the initial release???
Hi Phino,
Yes, I do have auto play on.
I do have a cat. The remote was on the coffee table face up.
No signs of anything else amiss in the network.
I am not connected to cloud.
I have 4.63.223
I still prefer the ghost theory....

Donuk sunny and notoriously haunted spooky downtown York
2018-06-14, 16:13 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-14 16:15 by ozzzy189.)
(2018-06-14 09:53)donuk Wrote:  Morning...
At three o'clock this morning my wife woke me to say there was some loud church organ music coming from downstairs.
It was quite scary in a gothic sort of way as I became conscious. I then remembered that I had been playing some Buxtehude - so I could account for the church organ.

But what caused my DS/3 to come on? A jolt from a mains outage would have deleted the playlist, I would have thought.

Our house is 200 years old and a ghost has been seen here. Normally causes no problems. Anyone got any better ideas?

Perplexed of York....
My friend... York is very ghostly you know! This has happened to me at least twice now. I wondered if the little fat kid next door was messing around and playing his Spotify on my ds. I'm not sure. However about half two one morning we were woken by some random bar piano music being played downstairs. Jane actually knew who it was, I'd never heard of it but neither of us had been playing it and it wasn't on any playlist.
Very weird. I'll try and get the name of the artist.

(2018-06-14 14:48)HearNoMore Wrote:  I had this once, when I had an IP address conflict on the network. I keep hearing short bursts of music after going to bed, thinking it was the noisy neighbours. Then I realised it was the DS playing short bursts of "Gay Bar" by Electric 6!

That's hilarious. I love electric six. Can't beat a bit of Dick.

Linn ADS-3, Lejonklou Sagatun Mono 1.1 Tarandus pre amps, Lejonklou Tundra stereo 2.2 Tarandus power amp, Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower loudspeakers. Linn Silvers. Atacama evoque special edition rack. Feel free to come and have a listen, I live near the Humber bridge but not under it, no troll here!
2018-06-14, 20:00 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-14 20:02 by ozzzy189.)
Don, it was Mrs Mills, or Russ Conway, maybe sidesaddle.

Not sure a ghost could even work a ds!

Linn ADS-3, Lejonklou Sagatun Mono 1.1 Tarandus pre amps, Lejonklou Tundra stereo 2.2 Tarandus power amp, Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower loudspeakers. Linn Silvers. Atacama evoque special edition rack. Feel free to come and have a listen, I live near the Humber bridge but not under it, no troll here!
2018-06-14, 20:21
(2018-06-14 20:00)ozzzy189 Wrote:  Don, it was Mrs Mills, or Russ Conway, maybe sidesaddle.

Not sure a ghost could even work a ds!

Not even a (Phil) Spector? Big Grin

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
Exaktbox Sub - BK Sub
2018-06-15, 06:30
Eventually just sleepwalking ? (ghost or cat) Big Grin