Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-15, 20:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / The LP12 I was never going to buy

The LP12 I was never going to buy
2018-06-15, 17:03 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-15 17:07 by DavidHB.)
The LP12 I was never going to buy
I am was never going to buy an LP12 ...

I didn't know it at the time, but the die was cast for me as a vinyl user in the late 1980s when, as part of the clear up prior to a home extension, I foolishly disposed of much of my LP collection. It all seemed so obvious: CD, we assumed, had superseded vinyl. CDs had become affordable and were easier to buy and store than their 12" diameter counterparts. How wrong can you be?

Recycler's remorse only set in a couple of years later when, having upgraded my Hi-Fi to the Quad and LS3/5A setup I kept for over 20 years, I realised that I needed a better record deck for what remained of my record collection. My wife, who always regarded Hi-Fi as the arch enemy of household economy, suggested that the easiest way round that problem was just to get rid of the remaining LPs. But, partly because my elder daughter was already buying LPs of her own, that counsel did not prevail.

So, something over 20 years ago, I found myself in Uxbridge Audio, looking at record decks. When I was told the price of even the least expensive LP12, one decision was clear: I was never, ever, going to buy one of those. When I was offered a new Basik with a second hand Basik+ arm (the previous owner having traded up to an Akito for his Axis) and a K5, a deal was done. The Basik has always been a secondary source in my system, but over the years it has more than paid for itself.

Move on to last year. As part of a discussion on the forum about equipment racks, I posted a picture of my setup. Peter Swain commented (surprise, surprise) that the only thing that would improve its look would be an LP12 in place of the Basik. And he got the same answer as always. My LP collection is too small to justify the cost. Moreover, the focus at that point was getting my system upgraded to Katalyst. The turntable was well down the priority list. So what changed my my mind?

It started with the upgrade from the ADSM with built in phono stage to the KEDSM that didn't have one. The need to buy a phono stage meant that for the first time in 20 years, I was going to have to think about the turntable in its own right, and not just as a secondary source to plug in when the rest of the system is set up.

When I came to listen to the Basik, played through the new Lejonklou phono stage and the ADC in the KEDSM, I was surprised at the degree of improvement. I started to listen to my favourite LPs a bit more. My local Hi-Fi dealer (not Linn) offered a record cleaning service, and a couple of local charity shops started to carry a larger stock of classical LPs. The thing with classical is that some favourite recordings are over half a century old, and by no means all of them have made it on to CD or a download website. There are plenty of LPs that complement rather than duplicate my digital library.

All was going well when the Basik started to need a push to start. Chris my dealer immediately diagnosed this as a power supply issue. The job is, I think, fairly easily doable, at not outrageous but noticeable cost. Would this money, I asked myself, be better put towards another purchase, such as the LP12 Chris keeps saying he wants to build for me? And the Katalyst upgrade is now in place (and benefitting the LP source also), and it ended up costing me a bit less than I had budgeted. So maybe, just maybe ...

Curiosity thus aroused, I took a day trip a couple of weeks ago Hidden systems at Windsor, in the company of my friend Chris B., to listen to a number of LP12s at different price points, in comparison to the faithful Basik. I have mentioned a number of aspects of this interesting visit in other posts, so I'm not going to repeat that here, though I'll be happy to respond to any questions. The next part of the story recounts the decision making process. But this post is already long enough, so I'll take a break here.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-15, 17:40
RE: The LP12 I was never going to buy
It's only too long when it gets boring and we're nowhere near that point yet Wink Go on Smile

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-06-15, 18:19
Please don't keep us in suspense David. Tell us you have committed to a LP12 and at what sweet spot in the line. TongueWink
2018-06-15, 20:14
I remember in 1981 when I bought my first LP12, the dealer said to me that he had just installed a set up; LP12. NAIM Amps and Linn Isobariks. Probably the top system of the time (and of course incredibly expensive). The customer, he found out when he went to do the installation had precisely 5 Albums. Rolleyes

So no collection is too small to warrant an LP12. Big Grin

In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
2018-06-15, 23:04
Cor, this is even better than Poldark, and without the extraneous male nudity. David writes wonderfully and knows how to build up the tension. I’m rooting for Lingo, Kore and Akito/Krystal at least. Much more interesting than world cup predictionsSmile

KDS/3 - CD12 - SME 20/12 with V12 - Krystal - Uphorik - KK/1 - KCT/1 - custom Slate Age rack - Silvers - K200 - Akudoriks
2018-06-15, 23:27
Thanks for all the encouraging replies. Sadly, I've only just finished another job I promised to do this evening, and I have a meeting on the mainland tomorrow morning. So the next part of the story will have to wait until later tomorrow, I'm afraid.

But at lest I fixed my network problem today, with the help of my friend Chris B., who is also planning to bring his Rega P3 over to occupy for a while the space vacated by the Basik (which stayed at Windsor). He's just fitted an AT95EX to replace the Elys, with which he wasn't happy because it had tracking issues. As my Lejonklou phono stage was designed using the Adikt as a reference, it should be pretty well suited to the 95EX. Chris has to go away for much of next week, so, out of the kindness of my heart Smile, I shall help him to run in the new cartridge ...

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

2018-06-15, 23:46
(2018-06-15 23:27)DavidHB Wrote:  Thanks for all the encouraging replies. Sadly, I've only just finished another job I promised to do this evening, and I have a meeting on the mainland tomorrow morning. So the next part of the story will have to wait until later tomorrow, I'm afraid.

But at lest I fixed my network problem today, with the help of my friend Chris B., who is also planning to bring his Rega P3 over to occupy for a while the space vacated by the Basik (which stayed at Windsor). He's just fitted an AT95EX to replace the Elys, with which he wasn't happy because it had tracking issues. As my Lejonklou phono stage was designed using the Adikt as a reference, it should be pretty well suited to the 95EX. Chris has to go away for much of next week, so, out of the kindness of my heart Smile, I shall help him to run in the new cartridge ...

David

Don’t worry David.

I will write the next part of the story for you.... Tongue

David likes the whole concept of spinning vinyl again after borrowing Chris’s turntable.

He asks for a demo to try out an LP-12 in his home and loves what he is hearing.

David puts in his order for a full spec Klimax LP-12, and spends much of his time on the weekends in London, searching for vinyl at the record shops and thrift shops.

Next thing you know, he is flying regularly to North America to pick up American pressings.

David lives happily ever after enjoying his new found love of vinyl again. Big Grin

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-06-15, 23:49
Interesting project/plan(?). I’v also got å Basik but with Akito and Adikt. Plays very good but fortunately far from my top LP12. I also stumbled across an Axis with broken psu for 40 gbp !(with Basik plus’s arm) fixed the psu an put on a K9 which I had in a drawer an it’ in some ways annoyingly good via my Exakt system. Very enjoyable

LP12, Keel, Radikal, Ekos2, Kandid, Urika1, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktboks, 2xM6100, Akubarik
Secondary system: Linn LP12, Ittok LVII, Adikt/2, MDSM/2,
M109
2018-06-16, 08:32
(2018-06-15 23:49)Øyvind I Wrote:  ....in some ways annoyingly good via my Exakt system ...

I couldn't put that better as a description of how I feel about my Basik, too.

David

2018-06-16, 12:14
Well, I think it's safe to say that David is going for an Adikt. The Lejonklou pre is still in place...

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.