Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 22:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Krystal

Krystal
2018-06-18, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-18 16:34 by charlie1.)
Krystal
Really pleased with the move from worn Akiva to Krystal. The deck did have a replacement Cirkus bearing and complete rebuild with Oak plinth, so impossible to draw any definite conclusions between cartridges but the end result is certainly a lot more involving. This cartridge really does draw you straight into the music, no messing about. Thanks to Colin at WYSAH for all his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-19, 06:44
RE: Krystal
Great cartridge for the money. Enjoy the music.

LP12, Keel, Urika, Radikal, Ekos, Krystal, KRDSM/2, Bryston4B cube, Briks
2018-06-19, 09:47
(2018-06-19 06:44)shellspeed Wrote:  Great cartridge for the money. Enjoy the music.

Thanks shellspeed. I certainly am - lots of new LPs waiting to enjoy Smile

You're right about the excellent value. I can happily get this replaced every 4 years. Whereas, I'd probably end up stringing out a Kandid which wouldn't do my vinyl any favours. It's about finding a level where the running costs don't weigh on your mind. At this point in life, I really don't want to spend £600 per year on running a cartridge whereas £200 is fine.
2018-06-19, 12:16
Glad you are enjoying Simon!
2018-06-19, 13:56
You make a great point Charlie!

It takes a while to get your head around spending money on a ‘disposable ‘ item at that level.

A visitor asked me what it all cost once. They were a little taken aback when I told them they could get a very nice Merc or Audi for the same money.

But who wants a German car when you can have a Scottish Hifi

LP12, Keel, Urika, Radikal, Ekos, Krystal, KRDSM/2, Bryston4B cube, Briks
2018-06-19, 14:52
I guess it's been just over two years since the first batch of Krystals shipped. I remember ordering and being without my LP12 for a while as shipment was delayed by a few weeks. It was all so worth it.

So, how long until the first batch of Krystals start to wear out?

LP12 (S/N 14xxx), Black ash plinth, Cirkus, Radikal, Kore, Ittok LVIII Mark 2, Krystal, Audiotech stand, Urika II, 530 system
2018-06-19, 15:12
(2018-06-19 14:52)akamatsu Wrote:  So, how long until the first batch of Krystals start to wear out?

Depends how much you use it Smile

I reckon mine gets about 10 hours use per week so 2,000 hours every 4 years.
2018-06-19, 15:24
(2018-06-19 15:12)charlie1 Wrote:  
(2018-06-19 14:52)akamatsu Wrote:  So, how long until the first batch of Krystals start to wear out?

Depends how much you use it Smile

I reckon mine gets about 10 hours use per week so 2,000 hours every 4 years.

That sounds about like my level of usage, about one LP per day. So, in about two years time from now.

I guess I'll also factor in the two months per year that I'm away from home.

LP12 (S/N 14xxx), Black ash plinth, Cirkus, Radikal, Kore, Ittok LVIII Mark 2, Krystal, Audiotech stand, Urika II, 530 system
2018-06-19, 15:27
(2018-06-19 15:24)akamatsu Wrote:  That sounds about like my level of usage, about one LP per day. So, in about two years time from now.

I guess I'll also factor in the two months per year that I'm away from home.

Some Adikt owners replace their stylus much earlier cos it's so much cheaper and easy to do. They probably only put a 1,000 hours on it before switching to a new one.
2018-06-19, 15:49
(2018-06-19 13:56)shellspeed Wrote:  You make a great point Charlie!

It takes a while to get your head around spending money on a ‘disposable ‘ item at that level.

A visitor asked me what it all cost once. They were a little taken aback when I told them they could get a very nice Merc or Audi for the same money.

But who wants a German car when you can have a Scottish Hifi

Absolutely! I enjoy cars, but my newer one is eleven years old. My brother has just traded his 55,000 mile, six-year-old Audi A4 for a pre-registered BMW 3-series. Another grand and he could have had Katalysed Akubariks to replace his Bose....

Linn sources (LP12, Kremlin, ADS/3), Lejonklou amplification, Graham speakers