Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Platter Mat Options

Platter Mat Options
2018-06-19, 04:57 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-19 05:00 by nkvd.)
Platter Mat Options
Just finished setting-up my new LP12 (Akurate; Lingo 4) turntable and it’s a substantial upgrade from my Thorens TD-160 Super in every way; except one: the standard Linn felt platter mat is quite a dust magnet compared to the cork/rubber mat I’ve had on my Thorens for the past several years.

I suspect the cork/rubber mat is just thick enough to require a VTA adjustment for the standard Akito tonearm.

Origin Live offers an option (https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/turntab...mat-best/) that looks promising.

Any experience with this and / or other platter mat options for the Linn?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-19, 05:48 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-19 06:06 by LD100.)
RE: Platter Mat Options
Yes, I use the Extreme Phono non felt mat, the old discontinued one.

I experimented with many mats over the years and it was tie in sound quality between plain felt and the Extreme Phono non felt mat. The Ringmat Real Ale Gold Spot Turntable Mat was also a contender. The LP12 did not seem to like the rubber mats.

Actually the felt had a slight edge in sound quality, so Linn made the correct choice, but the non felt mat was much more convenient...doesn't collect dust or stick to the records. I have been using it exclusively for the last 15 years, after using the felt for 25 years.

Maybe I'll find something I like better in 10 more years.Smile

I would suggest that you use the felt mat for awhile and get use to the best sound the LP12 can produce, then try other mats.

The nice thing about experimenting with mats is they are not ridiculously expensive.

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-06-19, 06:51
There is a very thin one that’s sold on eBay that looks like felt but is much more tightly bound almost like it’s glued. Much better from dust and static lift point of view but just sounds wrong on my deck.

There’s something about that felt mat the just lets the music pour out the deck. It goes against the thinking behind many conventional ‘high end’ decks with vacuum hold down, record clamps etc.

It just works

LP12, Keel, Urika, Radikal, Ekos, Krystal, KRDSM/2, Bryston4B cube, Briks
2018-06-19, 07:11
Just stick with the felt mat, it sounds the best.
It also means that, due to the slip, you can keep the deck running whilst changing records.
2018-06-19, 08:17
Linn's felt mat might not be/provide the best LP to platter coupling but at least it's uniform in sound from outer to inner grooves. Some aftermarket offerings less so IMHO.
2018-06-19, 16:07
(2018-06-19 04:57)nkvd Wrote:  Just finished setting-up my new LP12 (Akurate; Lingo 4) turntable and it’s a substantial upgrade from my Thorens TD-160 Super in every way; except one: the standard Linn felt platter mat is quite a dust magnet compared to the cork/rubber mat I’ve had on my Thorens for the past several years.

I suspect the cork/rubber mat is just thick enough to require a VTA adjustment for the standard Akito tonearm.

Origin Live offers an option (https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/turntab...mat-best/) that looks promising.

Thanks!

Maybe you just need a record cleaning machine? Since I invested in one I have no problems with dust on the mat or it clinging to records.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-06-19, 16:27
(2018-06-19 16:07)Tendaberry Wrote:  
(2018-06-19 04:57)nkvd Wrote:  Just finished setting-up my new LP12 (Akurate; Lingo 4) turntable and it’s a substantial upgrade from my Thorens TD-160 Super in every way; except one: the standard Linn felt platter mat is quite a dust magnet compared to the cork/rubber mat I’ve had on my Thorens for the past several years.

Thanks!

Maybe you just need a record cleaning machine? Since I invested in one I have no problems with dust on the mat or it clinging to records.

+1^
2018-06-19, 18:26
(2018-06-19 16:27)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  
(2018-06-19 16:07)Tendaberry Wrote:  Maybe you just need a record cleaning machine?

+1^

Especially if you still have a smoker in the house!Tongue

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-06-19, 18:35 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-19 18:37 by Peer Gynt.)
A friend of mine had a Thorens TD147. After extensive comparisons of many mats, he preferred the Linn mat on his Thorens table. He also preferred the Linn mat on his Rega table. He was too cheap to try the Linn mat on an LP12. But when I recently acquired an intentionally mattless VPI Classic 3SE, he was dying to hear the Linn mat on that table ... but it was disappointing compared to the clamped bare plattered standard stock VPI set up.

FWIW, on my two LP12s, I run happily with the stock Linn mat. It’s one of the few bargains in the Linn catalog.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2018-06-19, 20:17
I use a Ringmat Gold Spot and have never wanted to go back to the felt mat but far more importantly you must get a record cleaning machine, it will make you wonder just why you haven't bought one years ago as dust just doesn't exist anymore.

Majik DS, Inneos CD ripper, Simon Price Oak LP12, Black Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Dynavector 20X2L, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x4 LK100 power amps, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II.