Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / PVC Compounder Launch new range of vibrant colours

PVC Compounder Launch new range of vibrant colours
2018-06-27, 09:31 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-27 09:32 by David Williamson.)
PVC Compounder Launch new range of vibrant colours
Spotted this article in one of the engineering journals we receive:-

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12577]

http://www.dugdalepvc.com/en/news/articl...nyl-sounds

It is interesting because it clearly shows the increase in sales is having a knock on effect to all parts of the industry and its supply chain.
We have seen the likes of Sainsburys, not only selling records, but having their own label as well.

"Some critics were skeptical as to whether it would last through 2017, but it seems music fans are continuing to purchase more vinyl than ever.
The physical format accounted for one in ever 10 physical music sale over the past four months, according to the annual BPI report: a 26.8 per cent increase year on year, which pushes vinyl sales to a level not seen since the days of Nirvana's Nevermind in the early Nineties." (Independant)

So what are people buying?
Well that too is interesting, not at all what I thought!
Yes the first couple are current, but the vast majority of the top 20 read like a '20 albums you must own' list.

Top 20 vinyl albums sold in the UK in 2017: (Official Charts)

1. Ed Sheeran – Divide
2. Liam Gallagher – As You Where
3. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
4. Guardians Of The Galaxy – Awesome Mix 1 Original Soundtrack
5. Amy Winehouse – Back To Black
6. Rag’N’Bone Man – Human
7. Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon
8. Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
9. Oasis – What’s The Story Morning Glory
10. David Bowie – Legacy
11. Radiohead – OK Computer
12. Bob Marley & The Wailers – Legend
13. Noel Gallagher’s High Flying – Who Built The Moon
14. Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
15. Nirvana – Nevermind
16. Beatles – Abbey Road
17. Queen – Greatest Hits
18. Nirvana – Unplugged in New York
19. Guardians Of The Galaxy – Awesome Mix 2 Original Soundtrack
20. David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

I am wondering who is buying it?
Not you lot - because you already have the originals surely? Big Grin
So does that point to the fact that we have lots of the new younger generations buying vinyl?

Hopefully.
Long may it last!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-27, 12:41 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-27 12:46 by Briain.)
RE: PVC Compounder Launch new range of vibrant colours
(2018-06-27 09:31)David Williamson Wrote:  ...So what are people buying?

Intriguing list!

(2018-06-27 09:31)David Williamson Wrote:  ...I am wondering who is buying it?

Actually, you are remarkably close with that assessment; from that list of 20, the only ones that I don't already have in my vinyl collection are 1, 2, 4, 6, 13 & 19 (and I keep thinking that I should maybe try listening to 1 and definitely get hold of 6, though these days, I'd likely just buy the Qobuz downloads as my LP12 is currently sitting - covered in dust - in my storage area; verging upon criminal behaviour, that is).

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM (@ Linn for /3) -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-06-27, 12:41 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-27 12:46 by KLINNILK.)
(2018-06-27 09:31)David Williamson Wrote:  Spotted this article in one of the engineering journals we receive:-

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12577]

http://www.dugdalepvc.com/en/news/articl...nyl-sounds

It is interesting because it clearly shows the increase in sales is having a knock on effect to all parts of the industry and its supply chain.
We have seen the likes of Sainsburys, not only selling records, but having their own label as well.

"Some critics were skeptical as to whether it would last through 2017, but it seems music fans are continuing to purchase more vinyl than ever.
The physical format accounted for one in ever 10 physical music sale over the past four months, according to the annual BPI report: a 26.8 per cent increase year on year, which pushes vinyl sales to a level not seen since the days of Nirvana's Nevermind in the early Nineties." (Independant)

So what are people buying?
Yes the first couple are current, but the vast majority of the top 20 read like a '20 albums you must own' list.

Top 20 vinyl albums sold in the UK in 2017: (Official Charts)

1. Ed Sheeran – Divide
2. Liam Gallagher – As You Where
3. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
4. Guardians Of The Galaxy – Awesome Mix 1 Original Soundtrack
5. Amy Winehouse – Back To Black
6. Rag’N’Bone Man – Human
7. Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon
8. Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
9. Oasis – What’s The Story Morning Glory
10. David Bowie – Legacy
11. Radiohead – OK Computer
12. Bob Marley & The Wailers – Legend
13. Noel Gallagher’s High Flying – Who Built The Moon
14. Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
15. Nirvana – Nevermind
16. Beatles – Abbey Road
17. Queen – Greatest Hits
18. Nirvana – Unplugged in New York
19. Guardians Of The Galaxy – Awesome Mix 2 Original Soundtrack
20. David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

I am wondering who is buying it?
So does that point to the fact that we have lots of the new younger generations buying vinyl?

Hopefully.
Long may it last!

Yes, young people buy vinyl and they listen to it, but.....and that´s the bad point, not for quality reasons, they lsiten to vinyl because ist is cool and it is vintage. They listen to thei vinyl mostly on 30-40 year old cheap Thorens, Dual, Technics and other tuntables........ the older the better. price raqnge for these cusomers to buy turntables is 50-100 Euro max.

sorry for the bad english...I wrote to fast
2018-06-27, 14:01
(2018-06-27 12:41)KLINNILK Wrote:  Yes, young people buy vinyl and they listen to it, but.....and that´s the bad point, not for quality reasons, they lsiten to vinyl because ist is cool and it is vintage. They listen to thei vinyl mostly on 30-40 year old cheap Thorens, Dual, Technics and other tuntables........ the older the better. price raqnge for these cusomers to buy turntables is 50-100 Euro max.

Sadly not.

they listen on Crosleys, IONs, Steepletones, Aunas and (heaven preserve us) GPO-Retros.

Most would not know a vintage Thorens if the bloody platter landed on their foot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with old decks like those you mention, but they're still under-appreciated.

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH.
LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak,
'75 Red Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'73 Red Rocker LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II.
'73 Twin-Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'71 Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-06-27, 15:09 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-27 15:10 by Peer Gynt.)
Surely the colored vinyl is not directed at the old guys. Often I see limited editions in blue vinyl, or red vinyl ... runs of 1000. There must be some collectors out there, like the postage stamp collectors after WWII.

I have bought several new remixes of some old albums, just to hear the differences.

In most cases, I have decided in favor of the original release.

I’ve turned more toward used records offered at sub £3 prices and use of my RCMs. There are even 25 to 30 year old unopened “cut outs” being offered in some of our used record stores.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2018-06-27, 17:44
Good work David!

Try a YouTube search for “My vinyl collection”.

Gives you an idea of the target audience.
Loads of younger women and girls vlogging their vinyl collections.
Really quite surprised by the enthusiasm which is great to see.

Also I’ve got multiple copies of some recent albums just because of the different colours of vinyl available. Maybe we should start a new “Show is your vinyl” thread in the forum for the more outrageous stuff!

It’s a strange world I’m even thinking of buying a new tape deck again after 20 odd years!
2018-06-27, 19:54
(2018-06-27 14:01)Hamstall Wrote:  
(2018-06-27 12:41)KLINNILK Wrote:  Yes, young people buy vinyl and they listen to it, but.....and that´s the bad point, not for quality reasons, they lsiten to vinyl because ist is cool and it is vintage. They listen to thei vinyl mostly on 30-40 year old cheap Thorens, Dual, Technics and other tuntables........ the older the better. price raqnge for these cusomers to buy turntables is 50-100 Euro max.

Sadly not.

they listen on Crosleys, IONs, Steepletones, Aunas and (heaven preserve us) GPO-Retros.

Most would not know a vintage Thorens if the bloody platter landed on their foot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with old decks like those you mention, but they're still under-appreciated.

Unfortunately I mostly have to agree with Hamstall. The best selling record players in the US (I wouldn't give them the credit to call them turntables) are from brands like Victrola and Crosley. I think Victrola claims to be the biggest seller and they have several models in the Amazon top ten sellers. They make suitcase units starting at $32.99 up to wood cased combo units as high as $299 (LP, CD, Cassette, radio, bluetooth). Needless to say all these cheap units feature cartridges and styli that specialize in munching your records. I had one young lady bring in a $99 Jensen suitcase unit she had been given as a present because it sounded bad and she wanted to know what to do. When I looked at the stylus I found out it was made of artificial ruby! Worse yet it appeared that there had been a bubble when this tip was made as there was a hemispherical hole in one of the contact points - vinyl munching chisel indeed! Once I explained to her what was wrong, but also how even with a proper stylus this record player would be doing her records no good, she returned it to Amazon and came in and bought a used system from me with a Pioneer PL12d with new Rega Carbon cartridge, a $100 vintage Japanese receiver with phono stage and a used $75 pair of speakers. She had to spend significantly more than the Jensen but she was out the door for about $300 total with a system that actually sounds pretty good and wouldn't damage her records. She was a very happy customer.

We do get a number of younger people in here buying a Rega Planar 1 and basic system to go with it - NAD has helped by adding a phono stage to their entry level $399 C316v2 integrated amp. We also have some nice $300 a pair speakers so a complete, brand new and good quality vinyl playing system can be had for under $1200 including cables and sales tax. As mentioned we also sell used gear so we can put together a signifcantly less expensive options for those on a tight budget. But, of course, our sales are tiny compared to all the junk record players sold by Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc.

Back on topic, colored vinyl is definitely targeted to a lot of the younger fans but is becoming a big thing and is often used as a way to make extra money by the artists or labels. One example from my own experience is that two of the best records by one of my favorite groups, Porcupine Tree, were just reissued - one for the first time since the original pressing of only 300 copies in 1994 (which tended to go for $400 and up on the bay). Both records were available in black vinyl or limited edition color £1.00 more - white in one case clear in the other. Often the upcharge is much higher than that for color. There is a company called Newbury Comics, a good sized chain out of North Eastern US, who comes out with new vinyl pressings each week. Most all of them are colored and there is a lot of new music represented. But they must do a lot of business as they manage to get the rights to press special color versions of a number of older albums. If you want "SoulTrane" on white vinyl, "Tenor Madness" on red, "Bags Groove" on green or Chet Baker in New York on blue, this is your place. You can even get Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan in Translucent Red With Black Swirl. They have about any color you could wish including several that are marbled and a number that are half and half. Feedbands is another interesting label that features new music. They invite submissions from any musician and let you listen on their app. Customers vote for their favorites and the top vote getters are pressed to vinyl. They used to press black or color for an additional price but it looks like they have switched to just color now, again many are marbled. I used to have a subscription, which is how they prefer to work, but I was getting too much new music that was OK but not my thing, although some I quite enjoyed. But you can buy individual albums as well. They are strong believers in the superiority of LPs and analog and in 2017 they started actively pursuing studios that still use analog recording and mastering. They also are big into supporting up and coming artists with actual talent - you know, the kind the big labels mostly ignore.

Which brings up the last comment. The list of best selling LPs is an indication of the sad state of the music industry run by big conglomerates who could care less about talent and only are interested in big profits. So they look for pretty people that they can market for hopefully big sales even if they have no talent or ability. It is a rarity now to have people like Ahmet Ertegun, George Martin or Barry Gordy who would recognize talent and nurture it through the developmental stages until it blossomed and became big - especially at the big labels. You also have other big conglomerates running radio broadcasting in the US and playing the same old crap all the time: "classic rock" (by somebody's definition), talk radio, "country" radio (more like country pop), Rap and Christian stations. Hardly any of the eclectic AOR stations that used to bring you interesting new music, you now have to find that elsewhere. So actually most of the young people coming in here for turntables to play their "vinyls" are interested in music of the 60s and 70s and somewhat 80s - like the titles represented in that list and the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, the Moody Blues, Tears For Fears, Peter Gabriel, etc. Good music has staying power, junk music fades away.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-06-27, 21:35 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-27 21:35 by Steven.)
Yet Linn make one of the world’s best turntables and have canned their vinyl output.

Shame as the quality was superb

The Source is in 'da groove !!
2018-06-27, 22:20 (This post was last modified: 2018-06-27 22:27 by Briain.)
(2018-06-27 19:54)ThomasOK Wrote:  ...So they look for pretty people that they can market for hopefully big sales even if they have no talent or ability.

Though of course, the big profits are generated by the fat, ugly people with absolutely no talent or ability (like myself) who are foolish enough to go out and actually purchase the wretched things in the forlorn [lost] hope that then plonking them upon a half-decent gramophone player might somehow miraculously find all the missing tunes! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM (@ Linn for /3) -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-06-27, 23:22
(2018-06-27 19:54)ThomasOK Wrote:  Unfortunately I mostly have to agree with Hamstall. The best selling record players in the US (I wouldn't give them the credit to call them turntables) are from brands like Victrola and Crosley. I think Victrola claims to be the biggest seller and they have several models in the Amazon top ten sellers. They make suitcase units starting at $32.99 up to wood cased combo units as high as $299 (LP, CD, Cassette, radio, bluetooth). Needless to say all these cheap units feature cartridges and styli that specialize in munching your records. I had one young lady bring in a $99 Jensen suitcase unit she had been given as a present because it sounded bad and she wanted to know what to do. When I looked at the stylus I found out it was made of artificial ruby! Worse yet it appeared that there had been a bubble when this tip was made as there was a hemispherical hole in one of the contact points - vinyl munching chisel indeed! Once I explained to her what was wrong, but also how even with a proper stylus this record player would be doing her records no good, she returned it to Amazon and came in and bought a used system from me with a Pioneer PL12d with new Rega Carbon cartridge, a $100 vintage Japanese receiver with phono stage and a used $75 pair of speakers. She had to spend significantly more than the Jensen but she was out the door for about $300 total with a system that actually sounds pretty good and wouldn't damage her records. She was a very happy customer.

You hero you! The humble 12D, KD1033, PL512, SR222 and in this country the SP25 all started people off on the road to hi-fi. All good gateway drugs. The Rega Planar 1 is the modern equivalent. Time for an Axis revival, Linn!

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH.
LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak,
'75 Red Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'73 Red Rocker LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II.
'73 Twin-Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'71 Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.