Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Life in these United States...

Life in these United States...
2018-07-02, 05:55
Life in these United States...
According to Billboard...
Quote:Best Buy has just told music suppliers that it will pull CDs from its stores come July 1. At one point, Best Buy was the most powerful music merchandiser in the U.S., but nowadays it's a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs. Sources suggest that the company's CD business is nowadays only generating about $40 million annually. While it says it's planning to pull out CDs, Best Buy will continue to carry vinyl for the next two years, keeping a commitment it made to vendors. The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.

I guess keeping my 1978 LP12 up and running was a good idea!Wink

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-02, 08:28
RE: Life in these United States...
(2018-07-02 05:55)LD100 Wrote:  . The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.

*shudder*

Loricraft Garrard 401/Collinson/12"Bokrand-Ortofon/EMT TSD15 VdH.
LP12 Wakonda/Black Ittok/Metak,
'75 Red Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'73 Red Rocker LP12/SME3009/Shure V15/II.
'73 Twin-Button LP12/Grace G707/Supex900Super.
'71 Castle Ariston RD11/SME3009/Ortofon MC10.
2018-07-02, 09:23
This is where Ivor went wrong......
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-02, 09:38
Sign of the times LD. When I lived in Dallas & later the Bay Area, Best Buy CD space was huge in most stores. But then I also remember the iconic Tower Records on Sunset Strip.
2018-07-02, 09:42
(2018-07-02 09:38)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Sign of the times LD. When I lived in Dallas & later the Bay Area, Best Buy CD space was huge in most stores. But then I also remember the iconic Tower Records on Sunset Strip.

Indeed, Tower Records, Rose and many Mom and Pop record stores were put out of business by Best Buy pricing in my area.

Shopping at a record store is the only in store shopping I ever enjoyed.Wink

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-07-02, 09:48 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-02 10:01 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2018-07-02 09:42)LD100 Wrote:  
(2018-07-02 09:38)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Sign of the times LD. When I lived in Dallas & later the Bay Area, Best Buy CD space was huge in most stores. But then I also remember the iconic Tower Records on Sunset Strip.

Indeed, Tower Records, Rose and many Mom and Pop record stores were put out of business by Best Buy pricing in my area.

Shopping at a record store is the only in store shopping I ever enjoyed.Wink

Indeed, When I was in LA I used to get lost for hours in Tower, as I did in London at Virgin Marble Arch. Our company penthouse was on top of Portman Towers at Portman Square. A very short walk!
2018-07-02, 14:07 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-02 14:11 by Peer Gynt.)
We had a Tower in Nashville. They had a good inventory, but the place was run by boobs.

There is a TV documentary on the rise and fall of Tower. I think it tells the true story.

On the bright side, used record stores are flourishing. There’s more good material out there than ever before. The Nashville McKays makes the old Nashville Tower look like a kiosk.

Also, if you get on eBay, there is a broker operating out of Shepherdsville, KY who has a HUGE inventory, and quick access to lots and lots of specialty items, imports, half speeds, etc. it may take a week or so to get something from him, but he’s never stiffed me.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2018-07-02, 14:16
And last point ... at the used record stores we are seeing fresh, sealed cut outs, as well as sealed collectibles.

I’m not a fan of half speeds. Most are very wrong in their bottom octave. But we are seeing these show up. I bought one still factory sealed the other day ... it is an early MoFi of Joe Sample. As usual, the bass does not sound as real as the normal release, but still, it is interesting that these are getting back into the used market.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2018-07-02, 14:23 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-02 14:37 by Glyn Ruck.)
The Virgin Store at Marble Arch has been turned into a Virgin Active gym. Singapore & Tokyo had good Tower stores.
2018-07-02, 17:45
I just can’t understand this recent vinyl revival!?
Vinyl is a relative PIA to handle, and unless you have a decent deck to play it on (most of us here, but a very, very small percentage of the general population overall), then digital/streaming is the way forward, and people will get better results from digital.
Oh, of course, it’s all about the MONEY! ;-)
Record companies can now make a lot of profit on vinyl sales of old music. With CD they can’t.
In that case, it’s OK then...

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2