Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / A small step in my signature, a giant leap for my acoustics!

A small step in my signature, a giant leap for my acoustics!
2018-07-05, 09:54 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-05 15:19 by wickie8166.)
A small step in my signature, a giant leap for my acoustics!
Hi All,

ok, you might say: just another fanboy post (look how excited I am), but....

I am really flashed!

Two weeks ago, I was lucky to get a second-hand-Keel and my dealer built it in for a couple of Euros.

Before upgrading, I listend to some of my favorite records to make a longterm A/B-comparison (with 3 Days in-between).

Finally, I tried these records with my "keeled" LP12 and...

simply unbelievable!
The most impressing upgrade ever in my chain.

I did not expect such an improvement in bass fundament, bone-dry drums, precise guitars, voice separation. Some songs sounded even new to me, with back vocals I never ever observed before.

We spend the evening with my whole family (wife, 3 kids) on the sofa listening to the music. We never done that before as they do not share my taste of music, but this time we did and after a few records my wife and little son felt asleep and my eldest daughter asked me to send her the "playlist" Big Grin

The Keel is a damned expensive part of alloy, but acoustically worth every cent.

My skepticism in further tweaking my system is blown away. I am afraid a EKSO SE will be another step forward, and maybe the Kandid as well. Following the upgrade chain, I ought to try them before going URIKA II.

But this is currently not affordable and meanwhile I will enjoy my records on a new level of performance.

LINN: LP12, Trampolin, Keel, Radikal, EKOS 2, Krystal, AEDSM, Akubarik Exakt, Karik III
POWER: MFE Power Conditioner NF-3, Goldkabel executive SuperCord Gold
NAS: Synology RS814 (8TB), Minimserver
SAT: VU+ Solo2 Twinreceiver HD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-05, 10:14 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-05 10:14 by Happy Listener.)
RE: A small step in my signature, a giant leap for my acoustics!
Alongside thoughts of an EKOS SE I would also consider the new Tiger Paw arm - search around these parts for information.

Have you encountered/tried a Tiger Paw Tranquility yet? - if not I would suggest this is one of the better value upgrades to be had.
2018-07-05, 10:23
Pleased you are delighted. Did you ask the seller why he or she was getting rid of the Keel?
2018-07-05, 10:42
Nice story: thanks for sharing. What sub-chassis did you have before the Keel?

KDS/3 - CD12 - SME 20/12 with V12 - Krystal - Uphorik - KK/1 - KCT/1 - custom Slate Age rack - Silvers - K200 - Akudoriks
2018-07-05, 12:21 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-05 12:24 by wickie8166.)
(2018-07-05 10:14)Happy Listener Wrote:  Alongside thoughts of an EKOS SE I would also consider the new Tiger Paw arm - search around these parts for information.

Have you encountered/tried a Tiger Paw Tranquility yet? - if not I would suggest this is one of the better value upgrades to be had.

Thanks, did not consider it yet. Not sure where I can hear it in my area.
(western part of Germany)

(2018-07-05 10:23)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Pleased you are delighted. Did you ask the seller why he or she was getting rid of the Keel?

It was part of a demo system of a dealer, who is giving up his Linn business.
2 years old and in an excellent condition.

(2018-07-05 10:42)Fitter Stoke Wrote:  Nice story: thanks for sharing. What sub-chassis did you have before the Keel?

Oh yes, sorry, I have forgotten to mention: Did two steps at once - from steel subchassis to Keel.

LINN: LP12, Trampolin, Keel, Radikal, EKOS 2, Krystal, AEDSM, Akubarik Exakt, Karik III
2018-07-05, 12:52
(2018-07-05 12:21)wickie8166 Wrote:  Oh yes, sorry, I have forgotten to mention: Did two steps at once - from steel subchassis to Keel.
That explains it; this step is huge! Congrats Smile

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-07-05, 15:20 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-05 15:28 by Briain.)
I've had an LP12 since the 80s (and I used to work at a Linn dealership; I set a few up, back in the olden days) so I am very well familiar with the sound of LP12 and tonearm increments, as well as all the various (older) upgrades and what they brought to the sound.

Move forward to this century and a few months ago, I heard a very nice old LP12, Ekos, Troika, Lingo 1 in my own system (and I own a similar LP12, but in my case it has an Arkiv and it hasn't been played for years) and it sounded mighty fine (to say the least). Then just a few weeks back, I had the (very pleasant) shock of briefly hearing a current specification top LP12 (Keel, Lingo 4, Ekos SE) through my own system (just plugged into the ADSM's MC inputs) and I was totally astonished at just how utterly fabulous it sounded. Okay, I did fully expect it to be very good, but it really was quite a shock to hear just how many orders of magnitude better it sounded (than what I had anticipated hearing).

If I ever do get my own LP12 resurrected, I would now very seriously consider fitting a Keel and new Cirkus (and just keeping all the rest as it is; funds are not limitless)!

Bri Smile

PS Worth noting that it was teetering atop a wobbly steel Tripod Hi-FI stand (which was not level and also laden with other heavy kit) and it still sounded utterly astonishing; I hate to think just how good it would have sounded on a 'proper' support!

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM (@ Linn for /3) -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-07-05, 15:24 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-05 15:26 by Peer Gynt.)
Parting out a high dollar deck is quicker and comparable to, or more lucrative than, offering a $20k deck for sale. Shipping is easier too, and it may also separate the seller from the need to install and the attendant buyer frustration/aggravation.

I’ve thought about parting out high end decks, but have always decided in favor of just keeping them since they’re so clearly superior in sound reproduction compared to “lesser” decks.

I have parted out lesser LP12s. I asked a famous LP12 Guru once about selling a complete deck or parting it out. He did not hesitate in his response - “part it out.”

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
2018-07-06, 08:33
(2018-07-05 15:24)Peer Gynt Wrote:  Parting out a high dollar deck is quicker and comparable to, or more lucrative than, offering a $20k deck for sale. Shipping is easier too, and it may also separate the seller from the need to install and the attendant buyer frustration/aggravation.

I’ve thought about parting out high end decks, but have always decided in favor of just keeping them since they’re so clearly superior in sound reproduction compared to “lesser” decks.

I have parted out lesser LP12s. I asked a famous LP12 Guru once about selling a complete deck or parting it out. He did not hesitate in his response - “part it out.”

So I was lucky having found this offering of a clever dealerBig Grin
But nevertheless I found just only two second-hand-Keels-offerings in the last two years. Very rare, indeed!

2018-07-06, 11:00
(2018-07-05 15:20)Briain Wrote:  If I ever do get my own LP12 resurrected, I would now very seriously consider fitting a Keel and new Cirkus (and just keeping all the rest as it is; funds are not limitless)!

Bri Smile

Let it resurrect! It is worth it.Smile