Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / cartridge cleaning

cartridge cleaning
2018-07-11, 10:45
cartridge cleaning
...there's quite a lot of chatter on the forum about alcohol-based solvents, abrasive 'green stuff', vibrating cleaners etc - but little mention of the 'low-tech' stylus brush. These though, really do have their uses - reaching parts that others cannot. A recent decline in playback quality and a sudden tendency for the cartridge to pull out a lot of dust from the groove, prompted a really close examination of the stylus. Back-lighting the cart with a penlight torch on the platter and using a 50mm lens from a reflex camera (held in reverse) revealed a hair caught around the stylus shank, a rather large blob of dust on top of the cantelever near the stylus as well as a thin layer of dust covering much of the cantelever as well. I was able to remove the hair with some difficulty using a stylus brush and also the large dust blob, and then seeing how much better things looked, got to work on the dust ontop of the cantelever. With persistent very gentle brushing from body-to-tip, I was eventually able to remove much of this: a sizeable pile dropping onto the armboard and some being attracted and attached near to the cantelever entry point to the cartridge body. All cleaned away carefully so they couldn't get into the cartridge - not 'puffed' away. Cleaning the fine dust ontop of the cantelever was the most time-consuming (it seemed almost baked-on) - maybe a hundred brush strokes being needed. Whatever, it works a lot better now. I wonder, is this a part of other users routine?

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-11, 13:39
RE: cartridge cleaning
I swear by those magic erasers you can buy from supermarkets for about £1.50. Apparently the structure of the foam is like a scruched up fishing net, so a gentle lower into it then back out grabs all the gunk off the stylus. Obviously care is needed as you could damage the cantilever if you don't just drop straight in and out, and of course it's no good for cleaning the cantilever.

Avoid the type with detergent or chemicals in the foam!
2018-07-12, 09:47
(2018-07-11 13:39)Hartley_hare Wrote:  I swear by those magic erasers you can buy from supermarkets for about £1.50. Apparently the structure of the foam is like a scruched up fishing net, so a gentle lower into it then back out grabs all the gunk off the stylus. Obviously care is needed as you could damage the cantilever if you don't just drop straight in and out, and of course it's no good for cleaning the cantilever.

Avoid the type with detergent or chemicals in the foam!

...the whole cartridge is showered by debris thrown out of the groove during playback. Most cleaning regimes/ products concentrate attention on the stylus - but he cantelever suffers very badly too from accumulated dirt. Under magnification and suitable lighting, this is easily visible on the solid cantelever of a DV xx2 - perhaps less so on the folded tube equivalent of other cartridges. It will still be there but even more difficult to remove. Some dirt must be expected but an excess has a negative impact on sound quality.

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.
2018-07-13, 09:22
A good question, as I am also asking myself how to carefully clean the cartridge beside the stylus.

I remember one post of Linn, where they said they would not use air pressure because this could blow dirt into sensitive areas.

I use it quiet often to clean my keyboard of a new MacBook Pro with Butterfly-Technology because they stop working correctly when there is too much dust/dirt in the small gaps.

What do you think of it?

And - What brush do you use? Are you talking about a carbon fibre stylus brush? I think it seems to be too hard for cleaning the cantilever.

There are also those brushes with a small ball pump which are used to clean photo lenses.
Does anyone use them to clean the cartridge?

LINN: LP12, Trampolin, Keel, Radikal, EKOS 2, Krystal, AEDSM, Akubarik Exakt, Karik III
POWER: MFE Power Conditioner NF-3, Goldkabel executive SuperCord Gold
NAS: Synology RS814 (8TB), Minimserver
SAT: VU+ Solo2 Twinreceiver HD
2018-07-14, 21:36
...i used the brush supplied with the DV cartridge. It's not like a record cleaning brush - bristles are about 5mm long on a cylindrical short handle about 6mm diameter. Medium soft - the cantilever barely moves under pressure from it. It takes many, many strokes to remove the build up of debris from the cantilever - but it's worth the effort. It's probably easier to post a photo. I clean around the sides of the cartridge body with a photo-lens cleaning brush - these are really soft - they wouldn't clean a cantelever. I take the debris to be something from the vinyl groove, melted by the stylus when playing and then sticking to the cantelever when cooled. It sticks to the top surface not the bottom. The DV xx2 has a very fine solid Boron cantilever - quite unlike that of a Linn MC (i checked an Asak and an Arkiv) - which have a relatively broad , tubular, cantilever that may offer some protection to their top surface.
My experience is that keeping the cantilever clean is really important - though it may take several months of use before performance is noticeably degraded.

2018-07-15, 06:14
The obvious answer is to keep albums clean with a good record cleaner
Yesterday, 07:59
(2018-07-13 09:22)wickie8166 Wrote:  A good question, as I am also asking myself how to carefully clean the cartridge beside the stylus.

And - What brush do you use? Are you talking about a carbon fibre stylus brush? I think it seems to be too hard for cleaning the cantilever.

..here is the brush. It's oversize for the job - you end up using just one or two bristles to gently brush the cantilever. A 'fine' artists brush would work too - you just need it to have bristles that are neither too soft nor too hard. After brushing, the cartridge body will need cleaning up as the debris tends to stick to it. No Air! Try to keep debris away from the cantilever entry postion.