Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / LP12 transportation

LP12 transportation
2018-07-12, 06:05
LP12 transportation
Hello,
The manual suggests that transporting the LP12 requires only the outer and inner platters be removed. Are there no screws to tighten to secure suspension springs?
I am concerned the removal firm (& airline) will be less then gentle!
Regards
Glen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-12, 07:49
RE: LP12 transportation
(2018-07-12 06:05)Wyndland Wrote:  Hello,

Are there no screws to tighten to secure suspension springs?

Regards
Glen

No. There are no "transport" screws on an LP12.
2018-07-12, 09:07
I would remove the outer, inner, and arm (taking the counterweight off) and put them all in the box in the slots provided, the arm in its own box if you still have it.
We ship LP12s all over the world, so don't worry. Wink

The extra bit I might do if it were my own and because we don't usually ship with an armboard/Keel/Kore fitted is to put a pit of packing wedged between the armboard and the plinth at the three outer sides. Bit of foam, or rolled up foam sheet.

Remember to also put the wee cap on the top of the bearing to stop the oil getting out..... Shy

Regards,

David
2018-07-12, 09:08 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-12 09:11 by What You See and Hear.)
(2018-07-12 06:05)Wyndland Wrote:  Hello,
The manual suggests that transporting the LP12 requires only the outer and inner platters be removed. Are there no screws to tighten to secure suspension springs?
I am concerned the removal firm (& airline) will be less then gentle!
Regards
Glen

Hi

You will need the help of your dealer.

To ship an LP12 it needs to be part dismantled, arm removed , bearing drained of oil and everything correctly packed in correct Linn packing.

At the other end another LP12 qualified Linn dealer should be involved in re-assembly and properly setting up. If the LP12 has not been serviced in the last 5 years request the destination Linn dealer does this as well.

This thread should serve as warning:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid483087

The seller may have taken advice from this or another forum and lucky the buyer asked for the arm to be removed. The bearing had been dry for years so no problem with leakage but the proper method with Linn packing wasn't done with the result you see. Some people claim that you can send an LP12 with arm fitted in Linn packing but its throwing a dice and and I would never take that risk. I have seen LP12's where dropping the box in transit resulted in the arm and arm-board being part-ripped from the sub-chassis. Imagine what that did to the delicate and finely adjusted arm-bearings.

And yes it will be tumbled around and upside-down as well as being chucked around, but properly dismantled and packed there won't be a problem.

Regards.

Colin Macey. WYSAH Beaconsfield.

www.whatyouseeandhear.com
www.wysah.com
01494 681300.
email colin@wysah.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-12, 09:53 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-12 09:54 by Wyndland.)
(2018-07-12 09:07)David Williamson Wrote:  I would remove the outer, inner, and arm (taking the counterweight off) and put them all in the box in the slots provided, the arm in its own box if you still have it.
We ship LP12s all over the world, so don't worry. Wink

The extra bit I might do if it were my own and because we don't usually ship with an armboard/Keel/Kore fitted is to put a pit of packing wedged between the armboard and the plinth at the three outer sides. Bit of foam, or rolled up foam sheet.

Remember to also put the wee cap on the top of the bearing to stop the oil getting out..... Shy

Regards,

David

Many thanks for the responses.
I feel much more secure in letting it free now!
Thanks again
2018-07-17, 12:34
One last tip.

If the outer platter is transported in it's dedicated tray at the bottom of the factory packaging, it is wise to remove the front & back screws securing the deck's baseboard/Trampolin a they can damage the platter lip, [sometimes even if a sheet of cardboard is in place under the deck ]
2018-07-17, 18:05
Smokestack wrote:

One last tip.

If the outer platter is transported in it's dedicated tray at the bottom of the factory packaging, it is wise to remove the front & back screws securing the deck's baseboard/Trampolin a they can damage the platter lip, [sometimes even if a sheet of cardboard is in place under the deck ]
[/quote]

Is it OK with two pieces of cardboard?

John Hirsch
Yesterday, 10:11
HOW TO PACK AN LP12

I researched this a lot when planning to migrate half way around the planet. Is it possible to pack an LP12 with arm on, or must it come off?

After much research, this is what I did, and my LP12 arrived perfectly after floating around the world's oceans for several weeks.

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=12022

Cymbiosis Klimax LP12 SE - Karmen Kandid, Radikal/1M KDS/1 KK/1 Solos/1 K200 242/1
Kisto, AV2250/d, Komponent 104
Yesterday, 10:37 (This post was last modified: Today 08:33 by What You See and Hear.)
(Yesterday 10:11)Warren Wrote:  HOW TO PACK AN LP12

I researched this a lot when planning to migrate half way around the planet. Is it possible to pack an LP12 with arm on, or must it come off?

After much research, this is what I did, and my LP12 arrived perfectly after floating around the world's oceans for several weeks.

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=12022

Hi

The OP should note Post:#9.

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread....#pid136976

Regards.

Colin Macey. WYSAH Beaconsfield.

www.whatyouseeandhear.com
www.wysah.com
01494 681300.
email colin@wysah.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user