Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Akurate DSM Number of Days to Break-In

Akurate DSM Number of Days to Break-In
2018-07-12, 13:39
Akurate DSM Number of Days to Break-In
What is the expected time for a new Akurate DSM to brake in / burn in? A day? A few days? One week?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-12, 14:29
RE: Akurate DSM Number of Days to Break-In
(2018-07-12 13:39)Shivaji Wrote:  What is the expected time for a new Akurate DSM to brake in / burn in? A day? A few days? One week?

100+ hrs is usually about as good as it's going to get.
2018-07-12, 15:51
(2018-07-12 14:29)Alex 54 Wrote:  
(2018-07-12 13:39)Shivaji Wrote:  What is the expected time for a new Akurate DSM to brake in / burn in? A day? A few days? One week?
100+ hrs is usually about as good as it's going to get.

I don't believe that there is a generally agreed timescale. Some people (of whom I am not one) say that there is no such thing as a 'burn-in' period. My experience, of new components generally, rather than of the ADSM specifically, is that there is actually some variability during the course of the process. Also - and again views will vary on this - the performance improvement after burn-in is IMO not such that the character of the device changes markedly; with electronic components, you should get a pretty representative performance from initial switch on.

Some mechanical components (cartridges spring to mind) do require a running in period before their performance becomes fully satisfactory, but my ADSM, when I had one, was not at all like that, either when I first bought it or when I had it upgraded.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-07-12, 21:16 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-12 21:33 by Briain.)
I'm unreliably informed that it's contingent upon the proportion of Highland Park added to the already demonic mixture of mega-chemistry used within their fancy new vapour phase soldering machine and thus that it can - depending on what day your DS was soldered on - land somewhere in-between 50 and 100 hours. Apparently, the ones made between Monday and Thursday are pretty consistent, but for some [as-yet completely inexplicable] reason, the vapour phase mixture seems to end up a shade light on the Highland Park content on a Friday afternoon; quite the mystery, that is. According to the chap who claimed to be in charge of the production line - who had a remarkably red nose, by the way - it's something to do with 'the leaky valves' (which rather surprised me as I thought DS's were mostly based on transistors; you learn something new every day) but perhaps I just misheard him (his speech was getting a tad tricky due to him having a nasty dose of the hiccups; so much so that he was actually having quite a tough job standing, in fact).

Of course, all in jest (and he didn't have hiccups nor a red nose)!! Tongue Hey, I normally spend all of my time having a [harmless] dig at the poor old Linn Design folks, but thinking it all through, that did seem a little unfair (it's a big team and everyone's contribution is essential, so all should be deserved of equivalence) so I thought it high time to start upsetting some of the other teams within Linn organisation (clearly starting with Production, but perhaps Linn Marketing should perhaps now start getting tad concerned; y'all'll possibly be next in the Dinbins dark-side humour firing line)!

Big Grin Big Grin

Anyhow, to be serious - albeit very briefly; I sincerely promise - I did genuinely think that my ADSM/3 notably improved after about 50 hours (which equated to about 50h of actual audio work and about 200h on standby, so 250h total time of being 'plugged into to the wall') but I haven't been 'concious' of it getting any better since then. Of course, as my ADSM is exclusively used for [extracting HDMI] TV sound, it's perhaps not likely that I would have noticed any further subtle changes? Today, it's probably now had something more like 150 hours active usage time (and a few weeks on standby) and though I'd not claim to be able to hear any further improvements since that 50h mark, one thing for sure is that it's most certainly not sounding any the worse since then (it's sounding mighty darned fine, in fact)!! Wink

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM (@ Linn for /3) -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-07-12, 22:04
Turn it on and it will go.
After a while either you will get used to it, or you won't.

Home: Akurate DSM, LK140 x 3, Aktiv Keilidh x 2, Paradigm Servo-15, Pioneer PDP-LX6090.
Somewhere in Southern Europe: Majik DSM, Oppo BDP-95, EB Acoustics EB1 x 2 and a telly.