Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 03:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Troubleshooting v / Mimik without sound

Mimik without sound
2018-07-12, 21:00
Mimik without sound
My Linn Mimik doesn't give sound output anymore.

CD's can be loaded, and are read according to total time on the display.
All primary functions of the front panel switches work, but there is no response to the combined functions (display, digital out, search).

When the play switch is pressed, you hear a single tick noise, but no sound.

Does anyone know this problem and how to solve it?

Or is there a reset function?

Or is there a service manual for the Linn Mimik CD Player?

Any help is appreciated....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-13, 14:21
RE: Mimik without sound
I didn't respond at first, because it's a very long time since I had a Mimik. But as no-one else has offered advice, here goes.

Your symptoms suggest that there is an issue with the transport mechanism. As the laser appears to be reading some data. I suspect (and this is a guess) that the laser drive mechanism has failed. I believe that these are belt driven, and the problem may be as simple as a broken belt. All this is E&OE, and I hope that some more expert opinion may be along soon to correct me if I am wrong.

The bad news is that your Mimik is now probably 20 or so years old, and Linn discontinued support for all its CD players last year. The Linn helpline may (or may not) be able to point you in the direction of a repair shop. Where are you located? Someone here may know a repairer local to you.

The (possibly) good news is that the Mimik does not have one of the specially designed transports found in the more expensive models, but a standard (IIRC) Philips transport, which if memory serves me was 'specially selected' (whatever that may mean; I'm pretty sure that it wasn't specially selected for longevity Smile). CD transport mechanisms have long been a consumer item, made down to a price, but replacements may well be available. This is where a competent local repairer can be very helpful.

I hope that these thoughts are helpful. Of course, the failure of your Mimik may be a sign that it's time to get into streaming, if you haven't already done so. Smile

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-07-14, 10:33 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-14 10:36 by pwvoogt.)
RE: Mimik without sound
(2018-07-13 14:21)DavidHB Wrote:  I didn't respond at first, because it's a very long time since I had a Mimik. But as no-one else has offered advice, here goes.

Your symptoms suggest that there is an issue with the transport mechanism. As the laser appears to be reading some data. I suspect (and this is a guess) that the laser drive mechanism has failed. I believe that these are belt driven, and the problem may be as simple as a broken belt. All this is E&OE, and I hope that some more expert opinion may be along soon to correct me if I am wrong.

The bad news is that your Mimik is now probably 20 or so years old, and Linn discontinued support for all its CD players last year. The Linn helpline may (or may not) be able to point you in the direction of a repair shop. Where are you located? Someone here may know a repairer local to you.

The (possibly) good news is that the Mimik does not have one of the specially designed transports found in the more expensive models, but a standard (IIRC) Philips transport, which if memory serves me was 'specially selected' (whatever that may mean; I'm pretty sure that it wasn't specially selected for longevity Smile). CD transport mechanisms have long been a consumer item, made down to a price, but replacements may well be available. This is where a competent local repairer can be very helpful.

I hope that these thoughts are helpful. Of course, the failure of your Mimik may be a sign that it's time to get into streaming, if you haven't already done so. Smile

David

Thanks a lot for your kind suggestions. I checked the transport again, but there are no problems. The disc spins slower when playing the higher tracks, and faster when playing the first track. Skipping the tracks also works, as showing the total time when loading a disc.

The "digital" sign is always on. I don't know if the analogue output is switched off when digital is on (I suppose not). But if so then that would be the cause.
But I can't switch the digital off, because the functions with "pressing two keys" don't work. (And I miss the remote control).
Nevertheless the 6 keys work with the primaire functions, so the keys themselves aren't the problem.
I suppose the problem is with the transport steering board (in front, just behind the keys).
I read a remark on internet (with a different Linn CD-player) that the electrolytic capacitors on that board might cause the problem. So I replaced them, but that was no solution either.

A complete service manual of the Linn Mimik could be helpfull (not only the electric scheme).

OR, if somebody knows how te reset the Linn Mimik to factory defaults.
2018-07-16, 15:42 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-25 13:44 by pwvoogt.)
Wink RE: Mimik without sound
It seems the lack-of-sound problem has been solved. I checked the digital output (that can not be switched off with the keys of the Linn Mimik), using my Tascam US-1641 digital in. The CD-player produces normal sound via the digital out.
I suppose the analogue signal-out is muted when digital output is on.

I have to check it when I retreive the remote and switch off the digital out.

So the only problem with the Linn Mimik is that the double key-functions don't work. But the remote will give a workaround.

UPDATE for the interested members:
I received a service manual for the Mimik from a Linn-dealer. It helped me to find the problem: IC U100 has died.
So the digital switch has no relevance (it doesn't switch off the analoque output).