Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Audio Hd question

Audio Hd question
2018-07-13, 09:13
Audio Hd question
I am about to get a new NAS and probably hard drives subject to replies on the forum.
Is there a Hard drive design best for audio or all all hard drives the same (ignoring SSD). Melco talk of difference ones, but within reason what should I be looking for when choosing a new hard drive to store my music?
I will be testing the Melco soon and may use that as my audio storage, but I would appreciate some input on my original input of what to look for in a drive for a NAS to store music
Many thanks and remember Pookahs exist; I have seen the film.
No No please just answer the drive question before a certain Canadian gentlemen enters with his supreme blend of humour regarding Pookahs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-13, 13:23
RE: Audio Hd question
(2018-07-13 09:13)skygreen2031 Wrote:  I am about to get a new NAS and probably hard drives subject to replies on the forum.
Is there a Hard drive design best for audio or all all hard drives the same (ignoring SSD). Melco talk of difference ones, but within reason what should I be looking for when choosing a new hard drive to store my music?
I will be testing the Melco soon and may use that as my audio storage, but I would appreciate some input on my original input of what to look for in a drive for a NAS to store music
Many thanks and remember Pookahs exist; I have seen the film.
No No please just answer the drive question before a certain Canadian gentlemen enters with his supreme blend of humour regarding Pookahs

Hi and a very warm welcome to the Linn forum1 Smile

I cannot comment on the merits of the Melco as I have never 'heard' one, but as to the NAS drive question, for use as a music server, I am quite a fan of the WD Red series NAS grade disks.

To explain why, I used to have a 6-bay NAS with server grade (enterprise grade) disks in it and though they were great disks, they each consumed more than 8 Watts when spinning, so with 5 disks fitter, that added up to 40 Watts. Of course, the NAS motherboard also consumed power, so it added up to a total power consumption of more than 60 Watts. For that reason, it made sense to try to use disk spin-down (hibernation) when the NAS was not being accessed, but that is quite difficult to achieve and you end up with them spinning up and down several times per day (which temperature cycles them; not ideal for precision electromechanical devices).

Move forward a few years and I specifically chose a model of Qnap which was powerful enough for what I require (but still power efficient) then I spent ages considering disks to fit in it. I ended up opting for WD Red disks as though they are not the fastest disks (I think they spin at 5400 RPM) they only consume 3 Watts each when spinning, so that means I could forget about spin-down management and just leave them spinning 24/7 (so keeping them at a consistent temperature and thus hopefully extending their lives).

Of course, some folks need a powerful NAS with blindingly fast disks (to shunt data about at high speed, or because there are lots of different people simultaneously accessing it) so in these cases, it make sense to use 10,000 RPM enterprise disks, but if you are only planning to use it as a music and data server in your home, WD Red disks are well fast enough to do the job.

Incidentally, every Watt equates to about £1 per year (varies between tariff, but it's in that order of magnitude) so where my older NAS cost over £60 per year to run, the new one (with 2 x WD Red disks in a RAID 1 array) costs about £20 and the savings achievable via spinning these disks down would only be about £6 per year (so about the price of a pint in a city centre pub) and as I say, by not having them spin up and down several times per day it will likely extend their life (so it might actually save money over the longer term).

Anyhow, apologies for the long answer, but though the question was short, the answer is not definitive; it depends upon what the NAS will be used for (other than just for streaming music, which is a very low demand activity; data transfer speed is unimportant when just using it as a music server).

All the best
Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM/3 (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
ADSM (@ Linn for /3) -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub (bedroom)
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-07-17, 12:41 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-17 12:42 by Defender.)
RE: Audio Hd question
one of the questions is if your NAS will be in the same room like your stereo - if this is the case I would go for SSD (even though you mentioned you dont want to)
some time ago some people thought that the Seagate Barracuda drives are „sounding“ best.

So the question is what is important for you. Energy consumption, noise, long life, audio quality (cant comment on that because I dont know if there are differences between drives)