Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Off-topic v / Art gallery/painting

Art gallery/painting
2018-07-13, 18:37
Art gallery/painting
I was hoping a fellow member could give some advice as well as steer me in the right direction. Long story short, I’ve got a oil painting that was my parents, Putterman is the name of the artist. I’ve got an idea of the value of this painting as much of her stuff sells for 5-12K. I have no clue as to how I go about selling this piece. It is an original, Ive confirmed that by a third party. Wondering if anyone here knows art and could suggest what path to take. Thank you as always.
Jon. Btw I’m in NJ just outside if Philadelphia.

LP12, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Keel, Ekos 2, Kandid, KK1/D, Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus, Pekin Tuner, 242s Mk2, RelB1 on top of Aurelex Sub Dude, Quadraspire Acrylic Reference Rack and wall mount, 2 dedicated circuits.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-13, 18:51
RE: Art gallery/painting
I'd probably go to one of the big time auction houses such as Sothebys or Christies.

Best,

John Hirsch
2018-07-13, 18:59
(2018-07-13 18:51)John Hirsch Wrote:  I'd probably go to one of the big time auction houses such as Sothebys or Christies.

Best,

John Hirsch

Spoke to an art dealer friend, get it valued and off to auction with a reserve price relating to near the valuation you recieve.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.
And bring your favourite album with !
2018-07-13, 21:19
Put it on ebay!

No, don't! Might be worth bearing in mind when it comes to reserve prices that auction houses can take a fairly large slice, so the more you can get, the better.

Mick

Klimax LP12 * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2018-07-13, 22:41
Thanks everyone. I’ve learned auctions, even with reserve, can go for a significant discount compared to what the piece would sell for. Am I correct in thinking that art gallery prices are the highest compared to other methods of selling? If so, how do I get mine to sell at an art gallery va. Auction

LP12, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Keel, Ekos 2, Kandid, KK1/D, Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus, Pekin Tuner, 242s Mk2, RelB1 on top of Aurelex Sub Dude, Quadraspire Acrylic Reference Rack and wall mount, 2 dedicated circuits.
2018-07-14, 02:14
I’ve already reached out to Southebys and submitted info as well as pics. I can expect to hear within 7 days answers to my questions. Thanks again for your help everyone. As much as I’d love to use this $$ as “found money” and buy an ekos se, I have a substantial stack of medical bills from my wife’s treatments from the last 2 years.

2018-07-14, 06:55 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-14 06:56 by timster (RadiatorCatHammock).)
Art galleries tend not to deal in the secondary market, as I have found to my cost. So, depending on the artist, I'd suggest eBay or an auction house. Over here in the UK the costs are not much different, but at least a good auction house will take the stress away and know what to ask for and what reserve to put on it. Plus there is no shipping or packing costs if they are local to you, which can be huge.

Art sells for whatever someone wants to pay for it. I have found there is no "market value" to compare it with, only a price that it "should" get. Back to the galleries - they tell me the current market value for X is Y. It is based on nothing other than what they would sell it for as far as I can tell. Not the same thing as what it is actually worth. I put X on eBay for Y and got zero interest. It is now on for what I paid for it, less than Y, (which will be a loss after costs) and still have no interest.

OTOH I recently sold an C19th oil at a local auction house for a little over it's top valuation. Swings and roundabouts. Stick to a realistic minimum and see how it goes.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-14, 15:06
One option is to get it appraised, and then donate the painting to a well known charity.

Then you could get a significant tax refund?

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-07-15, 10:19
(2018-07-14 15:06)Paulssurround Wrote:  One option is to get it appraised, and then donate the painting to a well known charity.

First I've heard of the SPACE Hospice for retired kommanders and kadets. Is it a reputable charity?

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2018-07-17, 17:20
(2018-07-15 10:19)sunbeamgls Wrote:  
(2018-07-14 15:06)Paulssurround Wrote:  One option is to get it appraised, and then donate the painting to a well known charity.

First I've heard of the SPACE Hospice for retired kommanders and kadets. Is it a reputable charity?

Very funny Sunbeam. Smile

Space Commanders don’t die, they transport up to the mother ship

I would love to see a picture of the painting

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels