Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / What does streamer quality mean in Exakt systems?

What does streamer quality mean in Exakt systems?
2018-07-13, 19:29
What does streamer quality mean in Exakt systems?
When I upgraded my Exaktbox with Katalyst it left me with an Akurate DSM as it was before. If I were rich I could get two Klimax Exaktboxes for sure and still use the same DSM. Does it not matter which DSM I use if I use Exakt?

Linn LP12
Akurate DSM
Akurate Exaktbox Katalysed
AV2250
2xAV5125
Akurate 242

Sennheiser headphone amp & HD800
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-14, 06:31
RE: What does streamer quality mean in Exakt systems?
Source First. You'd be better off changing the ADSM for a KEDSM.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-14, 11:07 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-14 11:12 by DavidHB.)
(2018-07-13 19:29)per a Wrote:  When I upgraded my Exaktbox with Katalyst it left me with an Akurate DSM as it was before. If I were rich I could get two Klimax Exaktboxes for sure and still use the same DSM. Does it not matter which DSM I use if I use Exakt?

Functionally, no. In terms of sound quality? Yes, a bit. But upgrading my Exaktbox to Katalyst was a bigger (and cheaper!) improvement than upgrading from an ADSM/1 to the KEDSM. 'Source First' is probably misleading in this context. In an Exakt system, the Exaktbox is the component that has most effect on sound quality, because it provides both the signal processing and the DACs. Note also that the KEDSM lacks the phono stage, digital outputs and headphone output you have in your ADSM; if you are contemplating an upgrade, you need to take those things into account if they are relevant to you.

I agree that two Klimax Exaktboxes would be best if money were no object. But, in the real world, the price differential between the Akurate and Klimax components makes the latter unaffordable, or at least cost-ineffective, for many if not most people.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-07-14, 11:14 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-14 11:15 by Glyn Ruck.)
Wise counsel. System balance is also critical. Systems are let down by the weakest link in the chain & the component that has the most influence on sound. All components are important.
2018-07-14, 11:28 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-14 11:33 by DavidHB.)
(2018-07-14 11:14)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Wise counsel. System balance is also critical. Systems are let down by the weakest link in the chain & the component that has the most influence on sound. All components are important.

Very true (and it is important to apply the 'Source First' principle in that light). But I have found that going Exakt can change priorities somewhat.

For instance, with more channels in the system and no passive crossovers, amplifiers are generally worked less hard than in a passive system, so compromise on amplification may provide a reasonable means of staying within budget when upgrading to Exakt. Also, some speakers respond better than others to being driven actively rather than passively (and to the enhancements that Exakt can provide). As an example, in passive systems my opinion is that there is not a lot to choose between the M109s with a decent sub-woofer and the M140s. In Exakt systems (again IMO), the M140s are vastly superior, especially when they are fitted with the better bases.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

2018-07-14, 12:03
I was under the impression the OP already has a Katalysed Exaktbox, "driven" by his ADSM. Changing that for a Klimax E-DSM would be the way to go, before changing to Klimax level Exaktboxes, I would think.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5

Hello to Jason Isaacs
2018-07-14, 12:26 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-14 12:27 by DavidHB.)
(2018-07-14 12:03)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  I was under the impression the OP already has a Katalysed Exaktbox, "driven" by his ADSM. Changing that for a Klimax E-DSM would be the way to go, before changing to Klimax level Exaktboxes, I would think.

Yes, his signature says "Akurate Exaktbox Katalysed". He also implies that (as for most of us) a pair of KEBoxes would be out of reach. In those circumstances, I agree that getting a KEDSM (as I did) would be a possible next step. But, again in my experience, the cost-for-value of the KEDSM is much greater than that of the very effective upgrade the OP has already done, and replacing an ADSM with a KEDSM can raise system configuration issues; I had to buy a separate phono stage which adds further to the cost. The OP uses a headphone amp, for which the KEDSM has no compatible output.

Glyn's very valid point about balance becomes relevant here. THe OP has some very good, if old-ish, downstream components, but it might be worth considering where in the system the most improvement could be had for whatever budget is available.

David

2018-07-14, 13:22 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-14 14:16 by per a.)
Thank you all. I am not upgrading for a while except for any software Linn delights us all with. I am extremely happy with the music I get. The question was hypothetical. It bothers me a little that my headphone signal is space optimized and not katalysed. I suppose I could buy newer amplifiers. And fine tune the SO.
I like the source first idea very much but it seems with digital content that the source has moved downstream.

Linn LP12
Akurate DSM
Akurate Exaktbox Katalysed
AV2250
2xAV5125
Akurate 242

Sennheiser headphone amp & HD800
2018-07-14, 14:54
(2018-07-14 12:03)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  I was under the impression the OP already has a Katalysed Exaktbox, "driven" by his ADSM. Changing that for a Klimax E-DSM would be the way to go, before changing to Klimax level Exaktboxes, I would think.

Is there really a difference in the Exakt data from a KEDSM and an AEDSM (or Exakt output of adsm)? If so, what and why?

Black ash LP12 (with Akito 1, Adikt, Kore, Trampolin 2, Tranquility, silver T-kable and Lingo 2), AEDSM/1, Exaktbox 6, 2x 2250/D, all on Quadraspire Q4 Evo rack+wall shelf and Ninkas w/ polymer bases.
2018-07-14, 16:11
(2018-07-14 14:54)solanum Wrote:  

Is there really a difference in the Exakt data from a KEDSM and an AEDSM (or Exakt output of adsm)? If so, what and why?

It's how the streamer processes, manages and maintains the integrity of the data, before it gets converted into whatever format Exakt data is.
If not, may as well ditch Klimax and Akurate, and just use a Majik in any and all Exakt systems!

Hello to Jason Isaacs