Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Majik-i bass pressure

Majik-i bass pressure
2018-07-13, 22:40
Majik-i bass pressure
Hi

I have a Majik-I integrated amplifier (the 2007 - 2015 version) with MC preamp, this is feeding a pair of B&W 603 speakers.

Prior to this amplifier I had a Marantz PM17 KI which sounded amazing but started to develop a few gremlins, I fixed it up and eBayed it for the Linn.

Now 2 things became immediately apparent when switching from one to the other;

1. The mid / top end was much more detailed than the Marantz, it's very musical and sounds great at low to medium volumes. The MC interface is much nicer than the Marantz one also.

2. When the neighbours are away and I crank it up to daft volumes the bass pressure that was there before is just absent which is disappointing as I like to feel my music.

Now the source, room, cables or speakers are the same as before so I'm wondering if it would make sense to either bi-amp the speakers to try and give me the best of both worlds, let the Linn go and buy a better Marantz amp (such as the PM11) or something else. Don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of swapping out speakers and definitely don't want to add in a sub. I know the speakers can give me the bottom end I like as they have done so for nearly 20 years.

I don't know if it's just my ears that are used to AB amps and not D's, this new one has more of an AV amp type of sound (I've a Denon Dolby Atmos that has a similar character but that relies on a Sub). But this weird scenario where parts of the sound are much better but others are less so is a bit unusual for myself. Could find a Klout or similar to power the woofers. I can't afford new so scrounge around eBay.

Sorry for the long post, but interested in thoughts. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-14, 06:38
RE: Majik-i bass pressure
The Majik is not a D class amp. It's a Chakra - there is a white paper somewhere.
I'd suggest a Majik DSM instead of the -I to start with. You'd have the benefit of Space Optimisation too.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-14, 09:08
OK it's a hybrid 'D' uses a chip amp at low volumes and switches over to class D when you turn it up.
2018-07-14, 10:36
I would start with a lot of messing about with speaker position. Move the speakers to and frim the wall behind them and compare. Make big changes to start with (100mm) to find the best approximate place then make smaller changes (50mm each way) then repeat down to 5mm increments.
However, don't listen for more or less bass, listen for more musicality, an easier to follow tune and more emotion in the music. Remember more bass isn't always better bass. Listen to the music not the frequency spread. After the speakers are in the best place in the room, and you still feel the need for more bass, then consider spending some money. But get the best from what you already have first Smile

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2018-07-14, 10:53
Agreed but as only the amp has changed it would suggest that the amp is battling to drive the 603'S. They are efficient at 89/90 db/watt but as with many B&W's display a somewhat difficult impedance curve.
2018-07-15, 09:14
When you swap a Marantz for a Linn, you also swap out a brand-housesound. maybe the Marantz is just more bassheavy.

I also suggest u try to listen for more tune in the bass, also just keep the amp around for a couple of weeks and get used to it. Playing around with the speaker position is also a good idea, but dont try to change to much parameters at once.

Buying a DSM is not gonna solve it, since it is the same poweramp as your majik-I, it does ad SO though, wich in my case works wonders, but not by adding bass or bass-pressure. I would steer clear from a Klout, it's getting old and overpriced IMHO.

What source are you using?

Vortexbox > MDSM/3 > K200 > Majik 140/stand upgrade
2018-07-15, 14:32
(2018-07-15 09:14)Sebas Wrote:  When you swap a Marantz for a Linn, you also swap out a brand-housesound. maybe the Marantz is just more bassheavy.

I also suggest u try to listen for more tune in the bass, also just keep the amp around for a couple of weeks and get used to it. Playing around with the speaker position is also a good idea, but dont try to change to much parameters at once.

Buying a DSM is not gonna solve it, since it is the same poweramp as your majik-I, it does ad SO though, wich in my case works wonders, but not by adding bass or bass-pressure. I would steer clear from a Klout, it's getting old and overpriced IMHO.

What source are you using?

This ^^^^^^

I went from a Marantz PM7003 to a Linn Majik DSM. Totally different characters, more bass and less detail from the Marantz, as the OP describes. My amplifiers aren’t even equal on paper, the Majik DSM is only 2x90W into 4ohm, the Marantz was 70W into 8ohm.

My bass resonse has improved with adding a Linn Majik4100 and passive bi-amping. So, a bit more power to the bass.

The OP’s amp looks to be 100W into 4ohm, as was his previous one. So, he’s likely hearing that warm Marantz sound rather than significant power loss. My Marantz PM7003 is now in my bedroom system, warm and relaxed, and relatively fuzzy, for dozing off listening to music... Zzz Wink

Linn Majik DSM/2 > Linn Silver IC > Linn Majik 4100/1 > Linn K400 (2x 2:4 bi-wire) > Linn Majik 140’s with Upgraded Plinths and Linn Skeets.
Synology 716+ NAS, Rega Planar 3 (Triggers broom/upgraded) with Linn Adikt Cartridge. Sub - BK XXLS400-FF
2018-07-15, 17:54 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-15 18:11 by Glyn Ruck.)
I agree with much said here but with bass it is frequently more to do with an amps current capability than measured output. Marantz gear is certainly voiced differently to Linn.

As the OP does not want a sub. Bi-amping with a decent active X Over would seem the answer. Trouble is the expense. I have always been a proponent of bi-amping.