Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / What best to power Keltiks: 2 x AV5125/D or 4 x Klout

Poll: What best to power Keltiks - 2 x AV5125/D or 4 x Klout
4 x Klouts
2 x AV5125 with Dynamik PS
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What best to power Keltiks: 2 x AV5125/D or 4 x Klout
2018-07-14, 02:51
What best to power Keltiks: 2 x AV5125/D or 4 x Klout
Hi all, I have a pair of rosewood Keltiks which are currently powered by 3 x Klouts. Would I be best to add 1 more Klout to make it 4 x Klouts (quad amp the Keltiks) or replace the Klouts with 2 x AV5125 amps (with Dynamik PS fitted). My Linn dealer says the 4th amp makes all the difference to the Keltiks right up the range to three mids.

I really like the Keltiks but I'd prefer 2 boxes and not 4 as its getting congested. I also hear Klouts are very power hungry which is not ideal. And the Klouts are getting older although Ive they can be repaired if needed. The Klouts on the other hand are revered by analogue lovers as one of Linn's best ever amps - I'm concerned I might be throwing away a great thing for something that appears to be better but isn't. I've also heard the AV5125s lack punch in the bottom end so how would they go with the Keltiks? All that said, I chose Linn because I love music and my desire for the best sound is there only true consideration.

Can anyone please tell me what would sound better, the Klouts or the AV5125s? Has anyone had both and used them with Keltiks?

My end game is a good turntable (LP12) and a good streamer (Akurate DS) to have the best of both worlds.

Thanks for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-14, 06:27
RE: What best to power Keltiks: 2 x AV5125/D or 4 x Klout
(2018-07-14 02:51)iluvinyl Wrote:  Hi all, I have a pair of rosewood Keltiks which are currently powered by 3 x Klouts. Would I be best to add 1 more Klout to make it 4 x Klouts (quad amp the Keltiks) or replace the Klouts with 2 x AV5125 amps (with Dynamik PS fitted). My Linn dealer says the 4th amp makes all the difference to the Keltiks right up the range to three mids.

I really like the Keltiks but I'd prefer 2 boxes and not 4 as its getting congested. I also hear Klouts are very power hungry which is not ideal. And the Klouts are getting older although Ive they can be repaired if needed. The Klouts on the other hand are revered by analogue lovers as one of Linn's best ever amps - I'm concerned I might be throwing away a great thing for something that appears to be better but isn't. I've also heard the AV5125s lack punch in the bottom end so how would they go with the Keltiks? All that said, I chose Linn because I love music and my desire for the best sound is there only true consideration.

Can anyone please tell me what would sound better, the Klouts or the AV5125s? Has anyone had both and used them with Keltiks?

My end game is a good turntable (LP12) and a good streamer (Akurate DS) to have the best of both worlds.

Thanks for your help!

Assuming you have the aktiv crossovers for 5125?
2018-07-14, 08:18
Yes, true, I'll aquire the Aktiv stereo cards to suit if I go down the AV5125 path.
2018-07-14, 09:14
(2018-07-14 08:18)iluvinyl Wrote:  Yes, true, I'll aquire the Aktiv stereo cards to suit if I go down the AV5125 path.

I prefer 5125, but only if you do not wish to play them at high volume.
2018-07-14, 10:07
Can you list the rest of your system please? Your money might be better invested elsewhere. However, I do appreciate that Klouts to AV5125 are likely to be cost neutral or better.

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2018-07-14, 11:27
Based on my experience with 5125 - non-Dynamic however - I would definitely go for the 4. Klout. If it hasn't been done yet, I would have all the Klouts recapped.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-07-14, 12:01
Thanks all so far. I really appreciate your advice and would ultimately like to know why you favour one over the other?

I don't always play music loud but on some occasions I do when I'm in the mood for some Rock or some contemporary artists so I'm wondering what happens to AV5125s if they're turned up loud? I never exceed volume 80 / 100 on the preamp. And would Klouts be better under the same scenario?

My current preamp is an Exotik with Dynamik PS fitted. I am using an Arcam UDP411 universal disc player as I still want to play CDs until I have the funds to upgrade to a good streamer. I was going to buy a Unidisk 1.1 but all I hear is how unreliable the laser mechs are and that the spare parts are hard to find, if not impossible, or that they can't be repaired anymore so I opted for the less detailed Arcam even though I wanted a Unidisk. And at this stage I also have a Rega Planar 6 with a Rega Exact 2 cartridge fitted. I know it's not the level of a LP12 but it's within my budget at this stage. I understand my sources aren't at the same level that these Linn amps and speakers require to show their best but I'll get there!
2018-07-16, 01:48
2 4200 Dynamik would give you the box count as well as the “grit” you’re looking for with the All outs.

LP12, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Keel, Ekos 2, Kandid, KK1/D, Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus, Pekin Tuner, 242s Mk2, RelB1 on top of Aurelex Sub Dude, Quadraspire Acrylic Reference Rack and wall mount, 2 dedicated circuits.
2018-07-16, 02:55
Thanks and yes you're right re the 4200 for the future but in the interim I'm looking to keep the cost the same without the need to invest a lot more dollars as 4200s are considerably more expensive.
2018-07-16, 15:45
I run my keltiks with 2x 5125 and it plays great. Before i had 4x klout. The klouts can play louder but everything else is much better with 5125. and mine 5125 are without dynamik. I use klimax kontrol and can set the volume to 75 without problems.

Klimax DS/2 - Klimax Kontrol/2/B - Tunebox - 2x 5125 - Keltik